Shadows Over Filmland
Publisher: Pelgrane Press
Product Code: PELGT06
Publishing Year: 2008
Cover Price: $34.95
Artist(s): Jérôme Huguenin
Style(s): Scenarios in a Hollywood style
Format(s): Hardcover and PDF
THE SILVER SCREEN DRIPS BLOOD AND MADNESS!
Trail Of Cthulhu goes to the movies! Pelgrane Press pays homage to the classic horror films of the 1930s with this 192-page compendium of celluloid thrills and chills!
THE BACKLOT TEEMS WITH LOVECRAFTIAN MENACE! Trail Of Cthulhu creators Kenneth Hite and Robin D. Laws team up, marshalling their deep mastery of cinematic lore to bring you a landmark collection of Cthulhoid scenarios and source material.
GASP at the startling parallels between Hollywood and HPL horror in Nitrate Gothic. Critical exploration this blood-curdling could only issue from one pen-that of Kenneth Hite!
SHUDDER at the strange setting that is Backlot Gothic. Wolves howl across blackened hillsides. Hunchbacked madmen stalk through forests of dead, naked trees. The impossible machinery of mad science hisses and sparks in basement laboratories deep beneath ancestral manors. Is this gloomy black and white world Eastern Europe? Germany? England? None of these places-yet all of them at once!
TREMBLE at the hours of mysterious play found within its dozen pulse-quickening scenarios.
- Cheat death with Dr. Grave Dust.
- Face the dread count himself in Dreams Of Dracula.
- Track a bestial killer Under A Werewolf Moon.
- Dare to cross the threshold of The Black Chateau.
- Learn the murderous secret of The Non-Euclidean Man.
- Hear the whispers of Nyarlathotep on The Night I Died.
- Walk in zombie footsteps to encounter the White Bokor.
- Unearth a mummy’s curse, bringing Death Across the Nile.
- Explore the prehistoric jungle isle of The Green Ape.
- Penetrate the dark heart of Africa to meet the Lord of the Jungle.
- Flee from enemies old and new in The Preserve.
- Finally, complete your tour of filmic menace by venturing into the darkest pit of insanity yet-Hollywood itself, in The Final Reel!
This book is mostly made up of a collection of twelve scenarios, all based around 1930's Hollywood horror movies.
In addition to the scenarios, new source material is provided in two main sections:
- Double Feature
- Lovecraft Meets the Wolf Man
- The Silver Nitrate Mythos
- Backlot Gothic
- East Of Switzerland, West Of Hell
- Dread Albion
- Stock Footage
- Absent Technologies
- Forests Blackest
- Using Supporting Players
- Castles and Catacombs
- New Rule: Undying
- Towns and Villages
- Story Hooks
The book also includes an appendix consisting of a Bibliography/Filmography and player handouts from the book's scenarios.
Scenarios: Death Across the Nile, White Bokor, Dr. Grave Dust, Dreams of Dracula, The Green Ape, The Lord of the Jungle, The Night I Died, The Non-Euclidean Man, The Black Chateau, Under A Werewolf Moon, The Preserve, The Final Reel
Front Cover Text
No Additional Text
Back Cover Text
List all the text on the back cover.
Comments / Trivia
Playtesters: Eric Virat, Bruno Pujol, Xavier Vialles, Jean-Pascal Foldrin, Leonardo Felippe, Wojtek "Alter" Kobza and group, Sergio Tomas Torregrosa and group, Arseny Kuznetsov and group, Eusebi Vazquez and group (Lisandro, Vangelis andCarol), Robert Mills and group, Marcus Tsong, Rober Miller, Phil Garrad, Etic Tage Larsen, Josh, Nick Riggs
Spoilers - Keepers Eyes Only
Players should not read any further.
Comment here to Keepers about this book. Comments on specific Scenarios and Campaigns go on their respective pages. Keep DISCUSSION on the talk page.