The Rift (2016 film)
The Rift (2016), AKA The Rift: Dark Side of the Moon and Fallen Angel
"Death is dead." A team of US and Serbian agents is dispatched to secure the remains of an American military satellite they are told has crash landed in Eastern Serbia, but when they locate the crash site they find that the situation is not as it seemed.
- Release Date: 2016
- Country/Language: Serbia/South Korea/Slovenia, English and Serbian
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Science Fiction, Thriller
- Setting: Modern, Delta Green, Serbia
- Runtime: 1 hr 30 min
- Starring: Ken Foree, Katarina Cas, Monte Markham
- Director: Dejan Zecevic
- Writer: Barry Keating, Milan Konjevic
- Producer/Production Co: Morein Group, Viktorija Film, BBO Star
- View Trailer: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: not rated (equivalent to a PG-13 or an R for violence and profanity)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
The movie takes a few starting cues from 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968 franchise) and Event Horizon (1997 film), and the portal to an unknown dimension of sinister and ancient alien evil where the dead do not rest; the team dispatched to handle the situation may suggest some easy potential for a Delta Green scenario.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Review by Dave Wain at (The Schlock Pit) - "Ambitious to its core, ...[a film] to seek out, even if its pacing may leave the ADHD among you twitching with impatience. It’s certainly deserving of some love and attention...."
- Review by Phil Wheat at (Nerdly) - "The film does fall apart slightly when [the cast] proceeds to lose the plot... turning the film into a more traditional 'stalk and slash' type tale. However for most of the... taut ninety-minute runtime, [the] film is a fantastic example of the genre, well worth any sci-fi fans time...."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
Two government agents and a scientist team up on a mission to retrieve what they are told is a crashed military satellite in Serbia, only to find instead a dead astronaut enshrined in the cellar of a local farmhouse, under the protection of a peculiar family; the plot thickens as the team discovers a time/space portal to the "dark" side of the moon, and the dead astronaut awakens, turning the farmers into zombies....
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
- The film is also loosely connected to Brian Yuzna by way of a friendship with one of the film's writers, Barry Keating
Associated Mythos Elements
- A Delta Green team is dispatched to a remote area to retrieve what they are told is a military satellite, only to find that this is a cover story when they encounter a deeper mystery in the form of a mysterious portals and a bizarre cult of farmers worshiping the body of an astronaut who disappeared during a lunar mission decades before.