The Rift (2012 short)
"The Rift" (2012 short)
"They are watching us." An aspiring scientist discovers that behind dark rifts that are appearing in the sky, there is something that wants to cross to our side.
- Release Date: 2012
- Country/Language: Switzerland/USA, English
- Genres/Technical: Science Fiction, Horror, Thriller, Short
- Setting: Modern, Delta Green
- Runtime: 26 min
- Starring: Eileen Grubba, James DiStefano, Ralph Guzzo
- Director: Robert Kouba
- Writer: Robert Kouba, Tasha Lowe-Newsome
- Producer/Production Co: Vantis Pictures, Cloudscape
- View Trailer: (link), (link)
- Film Website: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: not rated (contains mild violence and profanity)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- Ss___ (One and a Half Tentacles: Barely Lovecraftian; vaguely similar in tone)
The film has an apocalyptic tone and "downer" ending, with monsters emerging from portals; the DARPA agent subplot vaguely suggests some Delta Green style "Lovecraftian" government paranoia possibilities.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Review by Sean Evans at (Back to the Movies) - "...Builds up great suspense and atmosphere... The storyline for me needed thickening out but the eye catching effects and suspense made up for the lack of story within the film.... Robert Kouba has created a great little Sci Fi film and I look forward to what projects he’s working on in the near future...."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
For decades they have been watching us. Studying us. What are they? Nobody knows. Nobody but Ivan Petrenko Karkarov. The Russian physicist began studying a phenomenon which has been occurring for several decades. In 1982 he found an answer to the strange phenomenon but before he could tell anyone he mysteriously vanished. 30 years later, in a suburb of Los Angeles, Dean Hollister seems to be a normal guy until strange radar anomalies start to appear throughout the world. All of a sudden something starts to happen in the sky, black rifts appear. Something is moving behind those rifts. It's been watching us, and now it is here among us.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- race: Dimensional Shamblers
- location: the Other Side
- organization: Delta Green or perhaps Men in Black, in the guise of an agent of DARPA
- In a one-shot adventure, a small group of people trapped in a diner as as strange rifts open in the sky, and one NPC among them, a science student working as a part-time cook, seems to have already been studying the phenomenon....
- As strange portals begin opening over a city, a Delta Green team is dispatched to a small diner where a science student with connections to an experiment gone awry has evidence and insight into the phenomenon that must be contained before it is too late.