The Devil's Tomb (2009 film)
"An evil entombed for 2000 years... until now." An elite group of soldiers on a covert mission to retrieve a scientist from an underground lab encounter an ancient evil in the facility.
- Release Date: 2009
- Country/Language: US, English
- Genres/Technical: Action, Horror, Fantasy, Science Fiction, War
- Setting: "Weird World War" (actually the 2001-2014 War in Afghanistan), Modern Afghanistan, Delta Green
- Runtime: 1 hr 30 min
- Starring: Cuba Gooding Jr., Ray Winstone, Ron Perlman
- Director: Jason Connery
- Writer: Keith Kjornes
- Producer/Production Co: Ice Cold Productions, Empyreal Entertainment, Ringleader Studios
- View Trailer: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: R (Violence, Profanity, brief nudity, Adult Content)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
Borrowing in equal parts from The Thing (1982 film), Evil Dead (1981 franchise), and Aliens (1986 film), this film puts a vaguely Lovecraftian spin on Middle-Eastern mythology/religion, with scientists unearthing a prison-tomb of the giant fallen angels / ancient alien astronauts known as "the nephilim", and freeing them to retake the Earth from mankind through body horror other standard vaguely-Lovecraftian tricks.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Keith Bailey at The Unknown Movies (link) - " The movie moves very slowly, and the sporadic grave and horrific situations all have a matter-of-fact feeling to them."
- Garrett & Sean Neil at Something Awful (link) - "Unfortunately, the director et al. were apparently so busy [Spoiler] over their horror-porn ... that they forgot to actually read the script or try to come up with a story that wouldn’t get them laughed out of the back door at a discount halloween party store."
- David Nusair at ReelFilm Reviews (.5/4 Stars) (link) - "...the filmmaker proves utterly unable to hold the viewer's interest even fleetingly - with the relentlessly amateurish atmosphere exacerbated by a script that seems to rely solely on stereotypes and clichés to propel the hackneyed storyline forward."
- David Walker at DVD Talk - (link) "On some level, I suppose The Devil's Tomb might be entertaining, if what you're looking for is junk filmmaking. And it is certainly good for unintentional laughs."
- Andy Webb at the Movie Scene (2/5 Stars) (link) - "What this all boils down to is that "The Devil's Tomb" offers up surprisingly little and in truth despite a few familiar names alongside those of Gooding Jr., Perlman and Winstone is one of those movies which you end up doing other things when it is on with only your attention being regained by something daft..."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
An elite group of soldiers on a covert mission to retrieve a scientist from an underground lab encounter an ancient evil in the facility.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO
- setting: Delta Green
- film: compare to Outpost (2008 franchise), The Thing (1982 film), Evil Dead (1981 franchise), and Aliens (1986 film)
- race: Deadites