The Darkling (2000 film)
When a down-on-his-luck mechanic meets a mysterious benefactor, he discovers the source of his benefactor's wealth and power: a caged creature called a "Darkling", whose generous gifts come with a terrible price.
- Release Date: 2000
- Country/Language: US, English
- Genres/Technical: Fantasy, Horror, made-for-TV
- Runtime: 2 hr
- Starring: F. Murray Abraham, Aidan Gillen, Lisa Linde
- Director: Po-Chih Leong
- Writer: Preston Sturges Jr.
- Producer/Production Co: USA Network
- View Trailer: (link)
- IMDB: (link)
- Rated: (not rated) (perhaps TV-PG for mild made-for-TV Violence and Adult Content)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
Really, not very "Lovecraftian", though the bizarre "Darkling" creature (a sort of Djinn) might not be far out of place in a Dreamlands story, for example.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- (review needed)
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
When a down-on-his-luck mechanic meets a mysterious benefactor, he discovers the source of his benefactor's wealth and power: a caged creature called a "Darkling", whose generous gifts come with a terrible price, in this variation on the basic "deal with a devil" story.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO
- Perhaps the investigators are hired by an unwitting "companion" of a Darkling to travel into the Dreamlands to free their client of the Darkling's bargain....