The Creature Below (2016 film)
The Creature Below" (2016), AKA The Dark Below
A young scientist discovers a malevolent entity which sets her on a bloody descent into the jaws of insanity.
- Release Date: 2016
- Country/Language: UK, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Sci-Fi
- Setting: Modern (2000s) Atlantic Ocean
- Runtime: 1 hr 23 min
- Starring: Anna Dawson, Michaela Longden, Daniel Thrace
- Director: Stewart Sparke
- Writer: Paul Butler, Stewart Sparke (story)
- Producer/Production Co: Dark Rift Films
- View Trailer: (link)
- IMDB: (link)
- Rated: (not rated) (expect the equivalent of a PG-13 or R for Violence, Profanity, Adult Content, etc.)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
At least there are tentacles.... The film-makers' descriptions of the film hint at "Lovecraftian" influence with references to "Eldritch Horror", etc.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Steven Lewis at It's Bloggin Evil link - "Though very modest in story and budget, “The Creature Below” is an itsy-bitsy speck in a bigger mythological genre and that’s usually the case for indie Cthulhu flicks, as they should be..."
- Jim McLennan at Girls With Guns (3/5) link - "If falling short of the movies which it most closely imitates, those are some large, black boots to fill, and there’s enough here of merit to provide a creepily decent pay-off for the viewer."
- Matt Molgaard at Addicted to Horror Movies (4/5) link - "...a cool little creature feature with some respectable practical special effects. No, the film won’t likely land on many favorite lists, but it is fine entertainment on a quiet night."
- Christopher Zisi at Zisi Emporioum for B Movies link - "H.P. Lovecraft enthusiasts will love "The Creature Below." We see lots of the monster, and the kills can get quite graphic."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
During a traumatic accident whilst on a deep-sea dive in the depths of the Atlantic Ocean, Olive, a gifted, young marine-biologist discovers an unearthly creature. Loosing her dream job, Olive smuggles the creature home, intent on studying it in her basement, unbeknownst to her devoted boyfriend Matt. Whilst struggling to re-adjust to landlocked life and recover from her recent trauma, Olive begins to realize that she and the creature share a symbiotic bond that drives her to carry out its sinister will. Plagued by gruesome nightmares, her fractured memories of what happened during the accident in the depths of the ocean begin to unravel and reveal an eldritch horror far older and malevolent than she could ever imagine, one which she has unwittingly set free. Olive's obsession leads to madness as her discovery consumes her entire humanity, with deadly results for those around her.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO
- Tentacle Monster