The Cave (2005 film)
"There are places man was never meant to go. Beneath heaven lies hell, beneath hell lies... The Cave." Bloodthirsty creatures await a pack of divers who become trapped in an underwater cave network below an eerie Carpathian mountain church.
- Release Date: 2005
- Country/Language: US/Germany/Romania, English and Romanian with subtitles
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Thriller, Adventure
- Runtime: 1 hr 37 min
- Starring: Piper Perabo, Morris Chestnut, Cole Hauser
- Director: Bruce Hunt
- Writer: Michael Steinberg, Tegan West
- Producer/Production Co: Screen Gems, Cinerenta Medienbeteiligungs KG, Lakeshore Entertainment
- View Trailer: (link)
- Rated: R (Violence, Profanity)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
Not very Lovecraftian, but a race of tentacle-parasite-vampire-monsters wouldn't be far out of place in "the Mythos". It's sort of like a cavern-setting Alien with a little bit of The Thing here and there.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- (needs review)
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
Deadly monsters hunt members of an exploration team within a vast network of caverns beneath the Carpathian Mountains.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO
- race: vampire-gargoyle-parasite-things
- This film appeared at the same time as the similarly-themed The Descent (2005 film).