The Burrowers (2008 film)
"They wait. They hunt. They feed. Evil will surface." In the American western Dakota Territories, a rescue party sets out to find a family of settlers that has vanished from their home under mysterious circumstances.
Based on the short film "Blood Red Earth" (18 minutes, Sioux with English subtitles).
- Release Date: 2008
- Country/Language: US, English and French and Sioux with subtitles
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Thriller, Western (weird west)
- Setting: Weird West
- Runtime: 1 hr 36 min
- Starring: Clancy Brown, David Busse, William Mapother
- Director: J.T. Petty
- Writer: J.T. Petty
- Producer/Production Co: Glass Eye Pix, Blue Star Pictures, Reel Chefs Catering(?)
- View Trailer: (link)
- View Short "Blood Red Earth": (link)
- IMDb page: (link)
- Wikipedia page (link)
- Rated: R (Violence, Profanity)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- SS___ (Two Tentacles: Barely Lovecraftian; could be a very loose adaptation)
The weird, subterranean race of "werewolf"-like beings
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Michael Allen at 28 Days Later (6/10 Skulls) (link) - The build-up of tension and myth of the "Burrowers," are creative and effective... ,,,but the climax, while brutal and full of action does not deliver enough terror to satisfy, or close out the film. ... the ending, which is in the mood of a tragedy, might make viewers feel like this film is one part in a series of films..."
- Christianne Benedict at Krell Laboratories (link) - " Anyone who has ever driven through the Dakotas or Nebraska can tell you that the sheer openness of the American prairie is downright Lovecraftian, and the movie exploits this. ... Where The Burrowers goes wrong is in its monsters..."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
BLOOD RED EARTH: A band of Native Americans sets off in search of missing members of their tribe, taken by a strange race of creatures for mysterious purposes. THE BURROWERS: In the American western Dakota Territories, a rescue party sets out to find a family of settlers that has vanished from their home under mysterious circumstances. The trail leads them to deadly and horrific race of "burrowers"....
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO
- setting: Weird West
- race: subterranean Werewolves; compare to Ghouls, Machen's Faeries, or to similar races like Serpent Men and Worms of the Earth