The Abyss (1989 film)
"There's everything you've ever known about adventure, and then there's The Abyss." A civilian diving team is enlisted to search for a lost nuclear submarine and face danger while encountering an alien aquatic species.
- Release Date: 1989
- Country/Language: US, English
- Genres/Technical: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Thriller, Drama
- Setting: Modern, Ocean
- Runtime: 2 hr 51 min
- Starring: Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Michael Biehn
- Director: James Cameron
- Writer: James Cameron
- Producer/Production Co: Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, Pacific Western, Lightstorm Entertainment
- View Trailer: (link)
- TVTropes: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: PG-13 (Profanity, Violence, brief Nudity)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
Not especially "Lovecraftian", though the "tentacle-monster" intelligent race discovered in The Abyss might, at a stretch, be compared to Deep Ones.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- (review needed)
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
A civilian diving team is enlisted to search for a lost nuclear submarine and face danger while encountering an alien aquatic species.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- race: Deep Ones
For more soggy deep-sea tentacle horror movies, see: