The Abominable Snowman (1957 film)
The Abominable Snowman AKA The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas (1957)
"Demon-prowler of the mountain shadows... dreaded man-beast of Tibet... the terror of all that is human!" A kindly English botanist and a gruff American scientist lead an expedition to the Himalayas in search of the legendary Yeti.
- Release Date: 1957
- Country/Language: UK, English
- Genres/Technical: Adventure, Horror, Sci-fi
- Runtime: 1 hr 25 min
- Starring: Forrest Tucker, Peter Cushing, Maureen Connell
- Director: Val Guest
- Writer: Nigel Kneale
- Producer/Production Co: Clarion Films, Hammer Films
- View Trailer: (link)
- TVTropes: (link)
- Wikipedia: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: (no rating) (perhaps equivalent to a modern G or PG for mild off-screen 1950s violence)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
Not very "Lovecraftian", beyond the group of investigators uncovering an icy horror in an atmospheric and snowy setting. The monastery's Lhama refers to "a race of super-intelligent beings who will take over the world when humanity has destroyed itself...."
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Orrin Grey at Innsmouth Free Press, (link) - "For a movie about hulking man-monsters, The Abominable Snowman is remarkably restrained, subtle and classy, and definitely an often-overlooked star in the Hammer horror constellation. It helps that Cushing and Tucker both do an excellent job of bringing their characters to life."
- Video Review by Joe Dante at Trailers from Hell (link)
- Review by Jason Cook at The Spinning Image (8/10 Stars) (link)
- Review by Richard Cross at 20/20 Movie Reviews (link)
- Review by Aaron Edgell at Classic Horrordotcom (link)
- Review by Jonathan Lewis at Mystery File (link)
- Review by Richard Scheib at The Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy Film Review (3/5 Stars) (link)
- Review by Brian Schuck at Films from Beyond the Time Barrier (link)
- Review by Dave Sindelar at Fantastic Movie Musings and Ramblings (link)
- Review by Andy Webb at The Movie Scene (3/5 Stars) (link)
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
A British scientist is studying plants in the Himalayas with his wife while he waits for his American associate; together they go on an expedition to find the mysterious creature Yeti, along with a partner and a guide who claims he can find the beast. The group proceeds despite warnings, however the trip quickly becomes more dangerous than they had anticipated.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- film: sometimes double-billed with The Crawling Eye (1958 film), which shared a cast and snow location
- race: Yeti