Mr. Jones (2013 film)
Mr. Jones, AKA Mister Jones (2013)
Two filmmakers discover too late that it was a bad idea to make a documentary about their mysterious, cloaked neighbor, a reclusive artist known for crafting bizarre scarecrow sculptures.
- Release Date: 2013
- Country/Language: US, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Fantasy, found footage, Art/Experimental
- Runtime: 1 hr 24 min
- Starring: Jon Foster, Sarah Jones, Mark Steger
- Director: Karl Mueller
- Writer: Karl Mueller
- Producer/Production Co: Campfire, Preferred Content, Preferred Film & TV
- View Trailer: (link)
- TVTropes: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: PG-13 (Adult Content, Profanity, mild Violence and nightmarish imagery)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- SS___ (Two Tentacles: Barely Lovecraftian; could be a very loose adaptation)
Not exactly a "Lovecraftian" film in the sense of being based on any of Lovecraft's work or containing references to his creations, though some viewers may find the location and atmosphere suggestive of Lovecraft's work (an "Eldritch Location" film); the bizarre stick-figures are reminiscent of Karl Edward Wagners short story "Sticks"; which in turn was inspired by the stick-figure illustrations for Weird Tales drawn by Lee Brown Coye, which were also likely inspiration for the stick sculptures seen in True Detective (2014 series) and Blair Witch Project (1999 franchise); the weird Dreamland the characters find themselves in and the eerie creatures and beings they encounter in the forest should also appeal to many Lovecraft film fans.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Culture Crypt, (link) - "Mr. Jones is a movie that is almost on its way to telling a frighteningly Lovecraftian yarn, but ultimately finds itself distracted by overindulgent artistry."
- Joshua Chaplinsky at Screen Anarchy (link) - " So while the story starts out as derivative, it does incorporate enough outside elements into the genre to back up it's synoptic chest-thumping."
- Nicola Odeku at Wicked Horror (5.5/10) (link) - "I wouldn’t want to say much more without giving anything away but Mr Jones is a strange and refreshing beast that’s unique, frightening and an intriguing reclusive artist..."
- Remi Olsen at One Star Classics (link) - "Before long, you don’t know who’s filming what, who Mr Jones actually is, why he makes his crazy figures, and who is who and what is what and where is where and my god it gets gloriously weird…"
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
A young couple moves to the woods and soon finds their nightmares and reality colliding.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- Artefacts: creepy scarecrow-totem-things
- Location: Dreamlands