Hereditary (2018 film)
"Evil runs in the family." After the family matriarch passes away, a grieving family is haunted by tragic and disturbing occurrences, and begin to unravel dark secrets.
- Release Date: 2018
- Setting: Modern
- Runtime: 2 hr 07 min
- Starring: Toni Collette, Milly Shapiro, Gabriel Byrne
- Director: Ari Aster
- Writer: Ari Aster
- Producer/Production Co: PalmStar Media
- View Trailer: (link), (link)
- TVTropes: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: R (Violence, Nudity, Adult Content and Profanity)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
There's some witchcraft, hints of a monstrous ancestry, and surreal horror, but little to directly link this film to Lovecraft.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Richard Scheib at The Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy Film Review (3/5 Stars) (link) - "This is a film that had the potential to be a great horror film in its hands but equally where the awkward misshapenness of the script causes to fall apart. This is particularly the case at the end where things don’t make a whole lot of sense, even at the same time as they are extremely spooky."
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements