Dreamscape (1984 film)
"Enter a world beyond your wildest imagination where anything can happen: close your eyes and the adventure begins." A young psychic on the run from himself is recruited by a government agency experimenting with the use of the dream-sharing technology and is given the inverse task of planting an idea into the mind of the U.S. president.
- Release Date: 1984
- Country/Language: USA, English
- Genres/Technical: Sci-fi, Fantasy, Thriller
- Setting: Modern (1980s), Dreamlands
- Runtime: 1 hr 39 min
- Starring: Dennis Quaid, Max von Sydow, Christopher Plummer
- Director: Joseph Ruben
- Writer: David Loughery, loosely inspired by the Roger Zelazny novel The Dream Master (fiction)
- Producer/Production Co: Zupnik-Curtis Enterprises, Bella Productions, Chevy Chase Films
- View Trailer: (link)
- TVTropes: (link)
- Wikipedia: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: PG-13 (mild Violence, Profanity, Adult Content)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- Ss___ (One and a Half Tentacles: Barely Lovecraftian)
The basic idea is a modern "pulp" update to Dunsany's Dreamlands, filtered through mad-science technology, with government conspiracies and a conflict with a Dreamer assassin.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- (review needed)
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
Selfish teen Alex Gardner is coerced into joining a government project in which psychics like him are trained to enter others' dreams. He starts learning to use his abilities to do good, but before long, a new official, Bob Blair, seizes control of the project. A writer helps Alex uncover Blair's true motives, which involve assassination via dreams. Soon, only Alex and a beautiful scientist stand in the way of something terrible.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- The investigators are recruited as experienced Dreamers to enter the Dreamlands on a mission from the government (an assassination, to stop a deranged Dreamer-Serial-Killer, to obtain intelligence over a foreign power, etc.