Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954 franchise)
A soggy film franchise featuring the Gill-Man, often considered one of the great original Universal Horror Monsters, including:
- Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
- Revenge of the Creature AKA Return of the Creature or Return of the Creature from the Black Lagoon (1955)
- The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)
"Out of the murk and mystery of a hundred million years ago, up from the depths of the Amazon's forbidden depths came the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Not since the dawn of time has the world beheld terror like this!" A strange prehistoric beast lurks in the depths of the Amazonian jungle. A group of scientists try to capture the animal and bring it back to civilization for study.
- Release Date: 1954-1956
- Country/Language: US, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Fantasy, Sci-fi, Drama, black-and-white, 3-D
- Setting: 1950s, Ocean
- Starring: Ricou Browning (Gill-man), Antonio Moreno, Richard Carlson, Richard Denning, Whit Bissell, Lori Nelson, John Bromfield, Nestor Paiva, Rex Reason, Jeff Morrow, Leigh Snowden
- Director: Jack Arnold; John Sherwood
- Writer: Maurice Zimm, and others
- Producer/Production Co: Universal International Pictures (UI)
- View Trailer: (link)
- TVTropes: (link)
- IMDB: (link) (link), (link)
- Rated: (not rated) (equivalent to a modern G or PG for mild 1950s Universal monster movie off-screen violence)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
The films in this franchise are only "Lovecraftian" to the extent that the Gill-Man creature is a fish-man which at a stretch can be compared to some of Lovecraft's fishier monsters....
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- (review needed)
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON - Remnants of a mysterious animal have come to light in a remote jungle, and a group of scientists intends to determine if the find is an anomaly or evidence of an undiscovered beast. To accomplish their goal, the scientists must brave the most perilous pieces of land South America has to offer. But the terrain is nothing compared to the danger posed by an otherworldly being that endangers their work and their lives. REVENGE OF THE CREATURE - Florida aquarium workers communicate by cattle prod with a wounded and captured gill-man. THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US - Scientists capture the creature from the black lagoon and turn him into an air breather, because science!
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- films: see Fish Man Films - this is one of the more famous examples of the subgenre, there many more films like this, most of them rip-offs of this film series
- race: "Deep One" (but only in the loosest sense)
- The basic premise of the original film, in which a group of investigators travels to a remote location to learn more about rumors of the discovery of a mysterious fossil and instead encounter a Deep One or other primordial human hybrid or ancestor, could probably serve as the premise of a very short one-shot adventure leading into a campaign centered around Deep Ones and Dagon and Hydra or Cthulhu (even as a short one-shot, it could probably use development of a little more investigative meat, like clues to follow and horrific revelations to make).