Coherence (2013 film)
Eight friends at a dinner party experience a troubling chain of events caused by the malevolent and surreal influence of a passing comet.
- Release Date: 2013
- Country/Language: USA/UK, English
- Genres/Technical: Science Fiction, Horror, Thriller
- Setting: Modern UK(?)
- Runtime: 1 hr 29 min
- Starring: Emily Baldoni, Maury Sterling, Nicholas Brendon
- Director: James Ward Byrkit
- Writer: James Ward Byrkit (screenplay), James Ward Byrkit (story by)
- Producer/Production Co: Bellanova Films, Ugly Duckling Films
- View Trailer: (link)
- IMDB page: (link)
- TVTropes page: (link)
- Rated: (not rated) (perhaps PG-13 for Profanity and mild Violence)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
Not exactly a "Lovecraftian" film in the sense of being based on any of Lovecraft's work or containing references to his creations, though some viewers may find the location and atmosphere suggestive of Lovecraft's work (an "Eldritch Location" film). Unlike many examples of this sort of film, Coherence, at least, shows clear signs that the writers have an actual story to tell, rather than a collection of weird, mind-screwy, symbolic stuff going on.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Fister Roboto at LeftHandHorror, (link) - "The cerebral spin makes everything resonate with even more questions...."
- Richard Scheib at The Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy Film Review (3.5/5 Stars)(link) - "The film seems nothing remarkable at the outset, although you do admire the fact that Byrkit and his cast have clearly spent a good deal of time rehearsing together, getting their interactions are tight and well polished. Things then start to get fascinatingly weird..."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
Eight friends at a dinner party experience a troubling chain of events due to the malevolent influence of a passing comet, which has opened portals to parallel dimensions outside their house, allowing "doppelgangers" of themselves to freely cross between worlds after the party splits, evidenced at first by odd behavior and confused conversation, but soon escalating into paranoia, panic, and murder.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
- Writer/Director Byrkit came up with the idea for Coherence after deciding that he wanted to test the idea of shooting a film "without a crew and without a script".
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO
- (YSDC Forums) - a discussion full of suggestions on using this film as the basis of a Call of Cthulhu scenario