Closet Space (2008 film)
Closet Space, AKA Between Worlds (2008 film)
"From a tale by H.P. Lovecraft." When a group of grad students go to a deserted farm house looking for their professor and his colleagues, they stumble upon a closet with impossible dimensions.
- Release Date: 2008
- Country/Language: US, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Science Fiction, Fantasy
- Setting: Modern USA
- Runtime: 1 hr 30 min
- Starring: Melanie Donihoo, Jovan Jackson, James LaMarr
- Director: Mel House
- Writer: Jason Stewart
- Producer/Production Co: Upstart Filmworks, Jim Bob Productions, Boyce Productions
- View Trailer: (link)
- IMDB: (link)
- Rated: R (Violence, Profanity, Nudity, Adult Content, Sexual Situations)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- SS___ (Two Tentacles: "Lovecraft Light": has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work, but it does have some "non-euclidean geometry" and tentacle monsters)
Supposedly "From a story by Lovecraft", but this appears to have been an "exaggeration" (also known as a "blatant lie", as this doesn't appear to resemble any Lovecraft story except, at a stretch, perhaps "From Beyond (fiction)"). Not exactly a "Lovecraftian" film in the sense of being based on any of Lovecraft's work or containing references to his creations, though some viewers may find the location and atmosphere suggestive of Lovecraft's work (an "Eldritch Location" film). Unlike most such films, this one also has tentacles.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Preston at FilmBizarro (link) - ". Only those who watch low-budget indy flicks will probably be able to enjoy and appreciate this movie..."
- Sarah E. Jahier at Fatally Yours Reviews, (link) - "...A very original film that’s different from the usual brainless horror film. It gives us smart and believable characters, a perfectly blended Lovecraftian/sci-fi/horror tale and is filled with tension and more than a few scares. Look past its production flaws and you’ll enjoy this unique indie film!"
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
When a group of grad students go to a deserted farm house looking for their professor and his colleagues, they stumble upon a closet with impossible dimensions.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
- The German version of the film was apparently advertised as being inspired by an H.P Lovecraft story, but this claim appears to be spurious (it appears to be an uncredited adaptation of part of Danielewski's novel House of Leaves, with a few CGI tentacles added in, though possibly a really long stretch might be made for some vague resemblance to "From Beyond (fiction)").
Associated Mythos Elements
- Fiction: compare to Mark Z. Danielewski's novel, House of Leaves (fiction)
- TO DO
- race: Tentacle Monsters
- location: Other Side