A popular pulp setting filled with strange creatures and bizarre locations located in vast caverns deep underground. See Hollow Earth for a more detailed description.
Geography of the Hollow Earth
Lovecraft's Hollow Earth setting, like most other versions, is assumed to be located on Earth. Lovecraft depicts his version of the Hollow Earth as a series of vast caverns that descend ever-further into the Earth's horror-filled core; in general, these caverns can be assumed to be in increasingly deeper "levels" one beneath the other, though some may approach nearer or further from the Earth's surface in various places, with entrances on the Earth's surface leading directly to the "lowest" levels in some places (for example, tunnels beneath the Polar City of the Old Ones seem to connect a little more directly to Yoth and N'Kai]] than another entrance beneath Oklahoma, which passes through K'n-yan and the Vaults of Zin first....)
Various other writers have created more or less Lovecraftian horror-filled Darklands of their own which Keepers might borrow on the assumption that they connect to - or are identical with - Lovecraft's.
Locations in the Hollow Earth:
- Category:Mythos:Locations:Hollow Earth, Hollow Earth
- K'n-yan, a blue-litten cavern beneath colorado ruled by the People of K'n-yan
- N'kai, a lightless abyss where Shoggoths roll
- Yoth, a red-litten cavern beneath K'n-yan, ruled by the Serpent People
- Underworld, a Dreamlands location bordering on the Hollow Earth
- Deep Dendo, a Hollow Earth creation of Arthur Machen
- Cave World, where Richard Sharpe Shaver's Deros dwell
- Mount Voormithadreth, placed underground in "The Mound (fiction)" but originally set above ground in Hyperborea by Clark Ashton Smith
- Cavern of Y'quaa, a grey-litten cavern beneath Mouth Voormithadreth where the Spawn of Abhoth dwell
- Cavern of Archetypes, where Abhoth and its spawn dwell
- Pellucidar, a creation of Edgar Rice Burroughs
- Agartha and its capitol Shambhala, a Buddhist concept adopted by Theosophy which conceived of it as an underground city, which in turn was described as the seat of a secret world government in some esoteric and paranoiac writings
- Midian, a subterranean Ghoulish city created by Clive Barker in his story "Nightbreed"
- Y'quaa, a grey-litten cavern beneath Mount Voormithadreth where Abhoth dwells
- City of Bricks, a vast, labyrinthine city of madness in which Y'golonac and its servants are imprisoned; opens into the Severn Valley
- Eihort's Tunnels, a labyrinth beneath the Severn Valley in which Eihort and its brood dwell
- Catacombs of Nephren-Ka, a vast complex of hidden chambers and catacombs hidden beneath the Egyptian Sphinx and Pyramids, AKA Catacombs of Kish
- Darklands, the Underworld of Pathfinder (RPG)
- Plateau of Leng
- Zanthodon, Lin Carter's Hollow Earth setting, inspired by Pellucidar
Bestiary of the Hollow Earth
Creatures of the Hollow Earth:
- "Frazetta Man", an unofficial catch-all term for any sort of bestial, hybrid, ape-like, quasi-human creatures that might make their home in the Hollow Earth (Deros, Voormis, Gnophkehs, Sagoths, Morlocks, and many others)
- People of K'n-yan
- Serpent Men
- Elder Things, built and abandoned cities in the Hollow Earth beneath their Polar City
- Flying Polyps
- Gnoph-Kehs, savage, shaggy, horned creatures found among the glaciers of Greenland, which by some accounts share ancestry with subterranean Gyaa-yothn and/or Gnophkehs
- Deros - Richard Sharpe Shaver's mad denizens of the Hollow Earth
- Faeries - Arthur Machen's "Little People"
- Worms of the Earth
- Serpent People
- Tunnelers Below
- Reptile People
- Rat People
- Scion of Tsathoggua
Tomes and Languages of the Hollow Earth
Pages in category "HollowEarth"
The following 65 pages are in this category, out of 65 total.