Call of Cthulhu Starter Set
Publisher: Chaosium Inc.
Product Code: CAO23158-X
Publishing Year: 2018 (targeted for 2018 Q3)
Cover Price: $24.99
Author(s): Mike Mason (and friends)
Format(s): Boxed Set (containing 3 or more softcover booklets plus loose leaves, dice, etc.)
Additional: Dice, Introduction, 5 Pre-gen Characters, Blank Character Sheets, Player Handout package, basic Starter Rules
Front Cover Text
Call of Cthulhu Starter Set
Mike Mason and Friends
Back Cover Text
This Starter Box contains everything you need to start playing Call of Cthulhu—the tabletop roleplaying game of mystery and horror.
Players take on the role of investigators of mysteries, uncovering dark secrets, encountering strange monsters, and thwarting sinister cults. Together, you and your friends create and develop a story in which each of your characters plays a leading role, which could be foiling some dastardly plot or stopping horrors from beyond space and time!
Roleplaying gaming is a social pastime. Everyone works together in a team, each playing an investigator character. One player runs the game — the Keeper of Arcane Lore — who referees the game and presents the story and adventure plots to the other players. Think of it a bit like acting in a drama, but where there isn’t a script. Dice and the rules of the game determine the success or failure for your character’s actions — all while you are propelled into dramatic and nerve-tingling situations! The emphasis is on having fun.
- Book 1: Introduction and Alone Against The Flames—a solo introductory adventure, teaching you the basics of Call of Cthulhu as you play through a mystery.
- Book 2: Call of Cthulhu Starter Rules — the essential rules, everything needed for starting play.
- Book 3: Adventures—three starter adventures for your players to explore.
- Ready to Play Investigators — five ready to play game characters.
- Blank Investigator Sheets — ready for creating your own investigators.
- Roleplaying Dice – a set of six polyhedral dice for use in the game.
- Player Handout – a set of ready to use props.
4 classic adventures!
Comments / Trivia
- "The whole thing has been designed to take 1 player and turn them into to Keeper, who then can run Paper Chase for 1 (poss 2) person, with each scenario following building on the first (so Edge of Darkness might be played with 2 to 4 people, Dead Man Stomp 3 to 6, etc.). Naturally, everything has been tweaked or rewritten to update to 7e and include guidance and advice for new Keepers." - Mike Mason
- "[The Starter Rules] are a slightly reworked and more inclusive version of the Free Quick Start (i.e. most of the Sanity mechanics were not in the Quick Start rules section, but were placed in The Haunting scenario - in this new version the Sanity mechanics are in the rules.)" - Mike Mason
Link to outside reviews
Spoilers - Keepers Eyes Only
Players should not read any further. Comment here to Keepers about this book. Comments on specific Scenarios and Campaigns go on their respective pages. Keep DISCUSSION on the talk page.