Battle Beneath the Earth (1967 film)
Battle Beneath the Earth (1967)
"The greatest adventure on Earth... is under it! An incredible battle is raging right under your feet!" A rogue Chinese general goes berserk and has a system of tunnels dug all the way from China to USA, under the Pacific Ocean! Wherever there is an important military base, he places atomic bombs.
- Release Date: 1967
- Country/Language: UK/USA, English
- Genres/Technical: Sci-fi, Thriller
- Setting: Hollow Earth
- Runtime: 1 hr 31 min
- Starring: Kerwin Mathews, Viviane Ventura, Robert Ayres
- Director: Montgomery Tully
- Writer: Charles F. Vetter (as L.Z. Hargreaves)
- Producer/Production Co: Reynolds-Vetter Productions Ltd., Charles Reynolds, Charles F. Vetter
- View Trailer: (link)
- TVTropes: "(Yellow Peril)"
- Wikipedia: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: Not Rated (perhaps equivalent to a "PG" for mild Violence)
Expect to provide parental guidance for mild violence in addition to the (relatively subtle) racist "Yellow Peril" theme.
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
Not very Lovecraftian, but the invasion-from-a-Hollow-Earth angle is perhaps suggestive. This movie could perhaps be converted into a fun RPG scenario, though one might suggest dropping the Cold War political angle and aging "Yellow Peril" theme, and replacing it with a more suitable villain (subterranean Lovecraftian horrors, cultists, etc.) Richard Sharpe Shaver's Deros would fit the bill nicely, though Lovecraft's own hints of long-buried horrors lurking in the Hollow Earth are also intriguing: "...out of the earth... the black spirits of earth, mouldy and shadowy, and full of dim rumours picked up in caverns beneath forgotten sea-bottoms..." - The Call of Cthulhu (fiction)
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Review by Andrew Borntrager at Badmoviesdotorg (2/4 Slimes) (link)
- Review by Graeme Clark at The Spinning Image (4/10 Stars) (link)
- Review by Brian Lindsey at Eccentric Cinema (link)
- Review by Marty McKee at Johnny LaRue's Craneshot (link)
- Review by Richard Schieb at The Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy Film Review (2/5 Stars) (link)
- Review by Dave Sindelar at Fantastic Movie Musings and Ramblings (link)
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
A rogue Chinese general goes berserk and has a system of tunnels dug all the way from China to USA, under the Pacific Ocean! Wherever there is an important military base, he places atomic bombs.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- races - substitute anything appropriate for the Rogue Chinese army:
- The investigators stumble upon a secret war being waged under our very feet, a nightmare invasion from the Hollow Earth which the investigators must try to stop before it is too late!
- The investigators are psychic warriors recruited into the Hollow Earth front of the secret Quake Wars, a battle against unseen Mythos horrors waging war upon the surface world from below.
- The investigators become aware of a subterranean horror (such as Cthonians) tunneling beneath major cities, preparing to wage destruction and woe upon the surface cities....