Sign in to follow this  
SquibblyDibbly

WWI Scenarios

GreveMagnus

One upcoming release from Pegasus I'm particularly looking forward to is their WWI book Niemandsland: Grabenkrieg & Heimatfront ("No Man's Land: Trench Warfare & the Home Front"). Should be out later this month.

Dreaded88

A WW1 period I've always thought ripe for usage in a Cthulhu campaign is the fighting in German East Africa and around Lake Tanganyika. A war fought between relatively small forces in a huge geographic area that was still in many ways "Darkest Africa" provides numerous opportunity for discovering things out in the bush.

Since I got back into I kicked an idea around in my head of Glaaki manifesting in Lake Tanganyika during this period, although like many such ideas nothing very much has come out it yet. :roll:

GreveMagnus

More German language WWI material includes the home front scenario "Die Bucht der Toten" ("The Bay of the Dead") in the very first issue of Cthuloide Welten (OOP and not that easy to find any more), plus two online scenarios:

Kriegskinder ("Children of War"), which deals with US troops in Belgium and

"Die Brut des Ghouls" (PDF) ("The Brood of the Ghoul"), which deals with German troops in Poland.

sglancy12
One upcoming release from Pegasus I'm particularly looking forward to is their WWI book Niemandsland: Grabenkrieg & Heimatfront ("No Man's Land: Trench Warfare & the Home Front"). Should be out later this month.

More German language WWI material includes the home front scenario "Die Bucht der Toten" ("The Bay of the Dead") in the very first issue of Cthuloide Welten (OOP and not that easy to find any more), plus two online scenarios:

Kriegskinder ("Children of War"), which deals with US troops in Belgium and

"Die Brut des Ghouls" (PDF) ("The Brood of the Ghoul"), which deals with German troops in Poland.

Damn! Once again those dirty Huns have beat us to the punch! Well, as long as it's only available in German I guess Pagan can keep working on our own WWI scenariobook. That said, Pegasus Spiele really has produced some of the best CoC material out there. These other two pdf downloads, who produced them? Are they just from an fansite or are they part of Pegasus Spiele?

Oh, and Dreaded88? If you want to submit a scenario set in German East Africa, with Askari and Von Lettow-Vorbeck and South Africans and Portugese and whatnot running around in the bush only to find something worse than the "enemy," please send it along. Pagan's "Horrors of War" only had two scenarios completed and we'd like to get at least six in. Yours could be one of them. At this rate it won't be ready before Spring 2009. Just so long as it's done before the 100th anniversary of the Great War in 2014! But then again, considering Pagan's glacial production schedule...

GreveMagnus
These other two pdf downloads, who produced them? Are they just from an fansite or are they part of Pegasus Spiele?

They're from fansites. The first one's from Der Ruf ("The Call"), "The Online Magazine of Dark Roleplaying".

The second one originally appeared in the fanzine Fantasywelt, before resurfacing as a PDF on the Cthulhu abseits website, which focuses on CoC in unusual settings. However, the author, Jan Christoph Steins, is a member of the German Cthulhu team and has contributed some great material to the line, so there's definitely a Pegasus connection there.

Thorulfr

<drooool....>

30 euros...ouch. >_<

RPGuru

Im lusting migthily for this german tome myself now. But is it certain that it is a genuine sourcebook, full og new and horrible information, or is it just a reprint of "No mans land", in german? Does anybody know?

GreveMagnus
Im lusting migthily for this german tome myself now. But is it certain that it is a genuine sourcebook, full og new and horrible information, or is it just a reprint of "No mans land", in german? Does anybody know?

Der Erste Weltkrieg – ein Fleischwolf, dessen blutiger Hunger nicht

mit dem letzten Schuss versiegte, sondern seinen unheilvollen

Schatten bis tief in die 1920er Jahre warf. Mit diesem Quellen- und

Abenteuerbuch werden die dunklen Jahre beleuchtet, die für

die „normalen Charaktere" der 1920er Jahre zur allgemeinen Erinnerung

zählen.

Die hier enthaltenen Regeln erlauben, die Kriegserlebnisse der

Charaktere in die Charaktererschaffung einfließen zu lassen. Vor

allem aber dienen sie der Erschaffung von Charakteren im Weltkrieg,

beschreiben die Abwicklung von Kämpfen zwischen größeren Gruppen bis

hin zu Luftkämpfen und stellen diverse Ausrüstungsgegenstände und

Fahrzeuge dar. Die Hintergrundinformationen befassen sich mit dem

gesamten Kriegsverlauf, werfen aber zahlreiche Schlaglichter auf

besondere Kriegsschauplätze, wie z.B. Verdun oder die Kolonien, sowie

die so genannte „Heimatfront".

Die drei Abenteuer dieses Bandes widmen sich drei sehr

unterschiedlichen Kriegsphasen und Handlungsorten: 1914 in den

Kolonien, 1916 an der Westfront, 1918 an der Heimatfront.

Dieses Spektrum ermögliche es dem Spielleiter, den Schrecken des

Krieges in zahlreichen Facetten an den Spieltisch zu bringen.

I can't be bothered translating all this now --- but in answer to your question, it's all new material, it includes three scenarios, and none of them is No Man's Land.

GreveMagnus

Oh, by the way, the release date for this has just been put back to October.

And here's a link to Pegasus' Cthulhu Newsletter.

cynick
A WW1 period I've always thought ripe for usage in a Cthulhu campaign is the fighting in German East Africa and around Lake Tanganyika. A war fought between relatively small forces in a huge geographic area that was still in many ways "Darkest Africa" provides numerous opportunity for discovering things out in the bush.

If Mimi and Toutou Go Forth: The Bizarre Battle of Lake Tanganyika is to be believe, some of the real participants were decidedly odd...

DrJohn

This is your German Chief Editor for CoC speaking: :D

"Niemandsland" will be out in October, and I am planning on publishing a WW1 adventure collection next Spring. It will also include Chaosium's No Man's Land. One other adventure that might well be in it is a scenario set in Hungary / Romania during the war.

I'm also looking forward to Pagan's upcoming WW1 book - I am certain it will be top notch, as usual with Pagan's books.

RPGuru

Fortunately for me, i read german. Yay and hooray! this must be bought.

skaye
This is your German Chief Editor for CoC speaking: :D

One other adventure that might well be in it is a scenario set in Hungary / Romania during the war.

Having just re-watched The Black Cat I am intrigued.

sglancy12
Having just re-watched The Black Cat I am intrigued.

Ooooo! That is a good one...

By the way, as I do some re-writing on one of my WWI scenarios, I find that I need some information about road coniditons in northern Iran/Persia in 1918.

Well, obviously they're going to be terrible... the question is do they exist at all? I'm trying to find out if there were any roads connecting Teheran with the north western city of Gorgan. Any one got a map that could illuminate that issue?

Fu_Manchu

A brief history of the modern era Iranian transport infrastructure can be found here, and here.

[ edit ] In answer to the previous post, in case you thought I was being more random than usual.

GreveMagnus
Fortunately for me, i read german. Yay and hooray! this must be bought.

Aha! My astute assumption that someone who was considering buying a book in German could probably read German turned out to be correct. Talk about making an Idea roll... :wink:

Anyway, for everybody else, here's a quick translation:

----NEW: INTRODUCING “NO MAN'S LAND - TRENCH WARFARE & THE HOME FRONT"

The First World War - a meat grinder, its bloody hunger not sated

with the last shot, it casts its grim shadow far into the 1920s. This combined sourcebook and scenario book casts light on the dark years forming part of the general background of all “normal investigators†of the 1920s.

The rules presented in this book allow the investigator’s war experiences to play a part in character generation. Above all, however, they are designed to allow the creation of characters in the thick of the World War, to provide a system for the resolution of mass combats and aerial dogfights and to provide a description of various vehicles and pieces of equipment. The background information deals with the entire course of the War, but pays special attention to particular theatres of war such as Verdun and the Colonies, for example, as well as the so-called “Home Frontâ€Â.

The three scenarios contained in this volume are dedicated to three very different phases and theatres of the War: 1914 in the Colonies, 1916 on the Western Front and 1918 on the Home Front. This range makes it possible for the Keeper to bring many facets of the horrors of war to the gaming table.

This hardcover volume will be published in summer 2007.

NB. Release date now changed to October 2007.

jasonw1239

By the way, as I do some re-writing on one of my WWI scenarios, I find that I need some information about road coniditons in northern Iran/Persia in 1918.

http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/oclc/62283706&tab=holdings?loc=washington#tabs

This book might provide some maps showing roads in that period.

The link shows that there is a copy at the Western Washington University in Bellingham.

Worldcat can be useful to determine if there is a book locally that you can obtain through an interlibrary loan, or if it is close enough to drive to the library to reference it.

Karloff
I find that I need some information about road coniditons in northern Iran/Persia in 1918

It's also probably worth looking at Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom.

stepheno

Well, obviously they're going to be terrible... the question is do they exist at all? I'm trying to find out if there were any roads connecting Teheran with the north western city of Gorgan. Any one got a map that could illuminate that issue?

Peter Hopkirk's On Secret Service East of Constantinople might be the place to look, assuming that you haven't already seen it.

sglancy12

God, I love this effin place!

Yes, I have read and re-read Hopkirk's book, and drawn a huge amount of material for the scenario from that book, although the American edition's title is "Like Hidden Fire."

Thanks for the links fellas. They were not overly detailed but they did put the situation vis a vis Persian "roads" into perspective. Looks like there's not much more than "convoy routes" connecting most of the cities in Persian in 1918. Sounds like glorified dirt trails to me. From what I know about the British "Dunster Force" that was rolling around northern Persia in light trucks and Rolls Royce armored cars, they were often triving across country on little more than well-worn wagon trails. What I really need is General Dunsterville's memoirs which were published in 1920. Time to check Project Gutenberg...

AdamAstonbury
Peter Hopkirk's On Secret Service East of Constantinople might be the place to look, assuming that you haven't already seen it.

Peter Hopkirk's stuff is just amazing.

I have a couple of his Central Asian books: 'Setting the East Ablaze' & 'Foreign Devils on the Silk Road' - both excellent fodder for CoC campaigns set in that part of the world...........

RPGuru

When i comes to background material on the east-african campaign during ww1, from both perspectives, i can recommend " Tip & Run, the untold tragedy of the great war in africa", by Edward Paice. Sadly lacking in mythos content, it is newertheless a great resource on anything else to do with ww1 in this particular theatre.

GreveMagnus

More information from Pegasus' Cthulhu Newsletter:

----NEW: PREVIEW OF NO MAN'S LAND

The First World War was a centrally defining event due to its fundamental effect on so many countries in the 1920s, the main setting for Call of Cthulhu. Nearly all investigators of the 1920s, or at least many Americans and all British and Germans, have the First World War in their recent past, forming the background of their personal experience. So far, this background has been largely glossed over by producers of material for Call of Cthulhu worldwide. In contrast, we are now allowing players a direct experience of this important chapter in the histories of so many investigators. With this volume, it will be possible to start character development during this historical period, before entering play in the classic era of the 1920s. After a bit of wrangling, the total concept was worked out, with no less than 15 authors contributing to the project. We quickly realised how difficult it was going to be to write material that kept to the middle ground between two equally unappealing extremes. On one hand, we wanted to avoid a gung-ho atmosphere, which would be entirely appropriate for a fantasy setting, but not for a war that really happened. On the other hand, we didn’t want to give the message “If you want to play in a First World War setting, you must be a callous and socially inept weirdoâ€Â. The narrow middle ground we aimed at can probably be described as “Feel free to play in this setting and have as much fun as you like, but never forget that all of these non-supernatural horrors were realâ€Â. Or alternatively “We don’t want to play “the War†as much as “Call of Cthulhu during the Warâ€Ââ€Â.

To make a long story short: we gradually developed more and more manuscripts, which the authors passed around among themselves in order to work as efficiently as possible and to ensure consistent use of terminology, avoid going over the same ground twice etc. The wide range of topics covered meant that the finished texts (after proof-reading and editing) then had to be painstakingly cross-referenced to produce a consistent and readable complete whole. You wouldn’t wish this kind of exhausting work on your worst enemy.

But finally the team of authors finished their task. So what can we expect to see when the volume appears?

The factual section of the book starts with a historical overview of the course of the War, beginning with its causes and ending with its effects on the post-War period. Various specific theatres of war are examined, such as the Colonies and the Near East, and a number of historical personages are presented as NPCs. Logically, one entire chapter describes “The Home Frontâ€Â, while another deals with “Everyday Life on the Western Frontâ€Â.

This is followed by the specifically role-playing part of the book – beginning with character generation and proceeding through weapons and equipment to vehicles. It presents new rules for the resolution of mass combats such as military assaults. In addition, there are suggestions on how to incorporate the World War into the background of a normal 1920s investigator.

This sourcebook is followed by three scenarios, based around the concept of utilising as wide a range of geographical locations and historical phases of the War as possible.

Schwarzer Sand (“Black Sandâ€Â) by Sebastian Weitkamp is set in 1914 and starts in Germany, before shifting to the colony of German South-West Africa, where the investigators are confronted with the outbreak of the War.

Ein Sommenachtsalptraum (approximately “The Somme Nightmareâ€Â) by Oliver Adam and Uwe Weingärtner is set on the Western Front in 1916, where the investigators, as military personnel, experience the horrors of the Battle of the Somme and investigate the reason for increased numbers of desertions, at the same time as they struggle against Mythos manifestations.

Wir ziehen gen Engeland (approximately “Marching on Englandâ€Â) by Ralf Sandfuchs is set in the year 1917 on the Home Front, in the area of Hamburg, where the investigators are all involved in various ways in the development of a new airship.

In conclusion, it only remains to say that, despite the grim topic, it was a delight to have led the development of this project as editor.

No Man’s Land will be released in October 2007.

Heiko Gill

Editor

NB. Quick & dirty translation, any bits that don't make sense are my fault!

Nightbreed24
Following the publishing of "No Man's Land" there does not seem to be much support for the idea of adventures based during WWI. Does anyone know of any available scenarios other than the one in the book ?

Also, has anyone ever run a succesful WWI campaign ? If so I'd love to hear how it went.

I use WW1 as a way to make PC-s get to know each other, make them better fighters and for getting them used to corpses, so there would be little or no San loss. That's kind of like raping the game a bit, but campaigns, like Masks are damn hard. Here are some ideas of mine:

1. I'm planning to use the Lost Battalion-setting, but not that big. The story is, that in ancient times, there was a little tribe of Gauls, who were worshippers of Shub-Niggurath. The cult is gone, but their altar and some monsters remain. So there will be a few dark young thrown in.

2. The French had various labour battalions from the Kingdom of Annam (Vietnam) on the Western Front, who dug trenches and drove trucks. What would happen, if they would accidentally enlist some Tcho-Tchos, who would form a cult of Shugoran in France.

3. The next idea came from a Conan-story by Robert E. Howard, The God in the Bowl. The setting is Gallipoli and the landing at Suvla bay. The scenario features a serpent man as the antagonist.

4. The foreign intervention in the russian revolution has potential too. Maybe worshippers of Ithaqua or something else. I didn't get into this one yet.

I hope, that these are of some help.

OldManWhateley

The German scenario, Die Brut des Ghouls, looks good, but I speak not a whit of German!?!?! However, I copies the text and entered it into Google translate...although there is a good deal of syntax errors in the translation, I think that I can clean it up and use this. I do wish there was an English version of it though.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this