Sign in to follow this  
SquibblyDibbly

WWI Scenarios

SquibblyDibbly

Following the publishing of "No Man's Land" there does not seem to be much support for the idea of adventures based during WWI. Does anyone know of any available scenarios other than the one in the book ?

Also, has anyone ever run a succesful WWI campaign ? If so I'd love to hear how it went.

moonbeast

Also, has anyone ever run a succesful WWI campaign ? If so I'd love to hear how it went.

I'd be giddy and excited if someone were to claim:

"Yeah, we ran a great WWI campaign! Sadly, the Investigators failed in their duties, and as a result, the German Kaiser won the war... with the aid of Nyarlathotep and his minions! Coincidentally, the entire British population was massacred and sacrificed to Great Chtulhu. The North Atlantic was turned into a great ocean of blood. And by late 1919, the USA is the only nation left that has successfully defended against 50 legions of Uber-Nightgaunt-Soldats! The American forces might not last very long, tho." :twisted:

Iago1537

Ive wnated to run one for a while after seeing one of the sections in the misprint of the contents page of the reprint of ATMOM,

NullandVoid

My 'A Clockwork Romance' campaign has had WWI as its backdrop. Session logs can be found in the journals section.

The War, even though not the main focus of the scenario, has nevertheless played a major role in things. The hook that got the players involved was when their ship was torpedoed by a German U-Boat. The major complication they faced was locating a man serving at the Front... and, upon finding he had been captured, finding a way across the Front into Enemy territory.

In the third part, the however, the apparent threat of the war is gone, however, it will still be haunting the players...

sglancy12

Pagan Publishing has three scenarios for a collection we are calling "Horrors of War." We've got two WWI scenarios so far. One is a trench warfare scenario called "The Bombing Party." The second is set on a German Zeppelin in early 1918 called "The Last Flight of the L58." There is also an unfinished scenario set in German occupied Belgium and another set during the Boxer Rebellion. We wanted to get a wide range of wars... everything from the Spanish American War to the Spanish Civil War. Strangely though our first three were WWI which we really didn't want to concentrate on. We wanted to show off all kinds of unusual wars around the world, like the Balkan Wars prior to WWI and the conflicts that led up to WWII.

Of course, the more I learn about WWI the more I realize that there are huge opportunities for scenarios in the theatres outside the Western Front. We have a very good scenario set weeks after the Armistace in Iraq among the British forces occupying the former Ottoman territory. It's set just after WWI, but definitely falls under the heading of "Horrors of War." Right now I want to do something involving Japanese naval infantry and marines occupying a insland in the Pacific that is a German colonial posession only to find something nasty tucked away on some tropical hell.

Mikeythorn
Pagan Publishing has three scenarios for a collection we are calling "Horrors of War." We've got two WWI scenarios so far. One is a trench warfare scenario called "The Bombing Party." The second is set on a German Zeppelin in early 1918 called "The Last Flight of the L58." There is also an unfinished scenario set in German occupied Belgium and another set during the Boxer Rebellion. We wanted to get a wide range of wars... everything from the Spanish American War to the Spanish Civil War. Strangely though our first three were WWI which we really didn't want to concentrate on. We wanted to show off all kinds of unusual wars around the world, like the Balkan Wars prior to WWI and the conflicts that led up to WWII.

Of course, the more I learn about WWI the more I realize that there are huge opportunities for scenarios in the theatres outside the Western Front. We have a very good scenario set weeks after the Armistace in Iraq among the British forces occupying the former Ottoman territory. It's set just after WWI, but definitely falls under the heading of "Horrors of War." Right now I want to do something involving Japanese naval infantry and marines occupying a insland in the Pacific that is a German colonial posession only to find something nasty tucked away on some tropical hell.

Scott, my money is yours already.

Mikeythorn

Actually - to throw a total tangent on this thread - I once developed a Call of Cthulhu scenario set during New Zealand's Land Wars (c. 1845-1872). It is totally undeveloped and never play-tested, but I always through it had potential.

Anyway - to cut a long story short - if it sounds like the sort of thing you have an interest in incorporating into the new book then let me know. I would be more than happy to help.

Talionis

I have often considered a WW1 era adventure, spawning friendships and comradeships that can be exploited later as "an old war buddy" dies mysteriously and leaves you a cable...etc (of course this is a very contrived hook but others are possible). The scenario I envisioned and have begun to write involves trench warfare with the shelling of positions which stops suddenly (heralding the likelihood of an infantry attacK) but which the characters see are apparently dead soldiers marching toward them across open fields and unaffected by withering machine gun fire...and goes from there. After reading No Mans Land, I realized something more substantial was needed (although I grant that the material and background is excellent, it's just not a scenario that works for me and my group). Also working on WW2 dropping into a Normandy village as part of Op Overlord/D-Day where the characters run up against something more sinister than the SS...

Gaffer
Also working on WW2 dropping into a Normandy village as part of Op Overlord/D-Day where the characters run up against something more sinister than the SS...

Ah! My first thought was: inter-dimensional rift and your squad isn't dropped into Normandy at all, but somewhere... else.

MalcolmCraig

Not strictly WW1, but WW1 related:

At this years Student Nationals gaming event (in the UK) I ran a CoC game set in post-WW1 Constantinople. It used the partion and occupation of Turkey after the war (kind of like Berlin post-WW2), the rising Turkish nationalist movement, the Revolution in Russia (and the subsequent flood of emigres from the Crimea, Caucasus, Russia, etc) and os on and so forth.

I ran it twice over the weekend and it went very, very well. The characters dealt with the consequences of the war (some of them had taken part in it, were displaced by what was going on in Russia, were Turks seeing their nation occupied, etc). The epilogues for the characters (especially when I ran it on the second day) were particularly touching and apt. The British naval officer, who had witnessed much horror at the Battle of Jutland, finally couldn't cope withwhat happened and remained in Turkey, wandering the land, becaoming a ragged mystic in the tatters of his old naval uniform. He carried with him the idiot child that they had used as a weapon against the evil entities. it too drove him more insane as he traversed the land in a state of total mental breakdown.

Cheers

Malcolm

Beyond00
sglancy12 said:

/shakes him

Sell it to me!!

Where? Now! Roar!

Max_Writer

Scott, my money is yours already.

Ditto. These sound great.

sglancy12

At this years Student Nationals gaming event (in the UK) I ran a CoC game set in post-WW1 Constantinople. It used the partion and occupation of Turkey after the war (kind of like Berlin post-WW2), the rising Turkish nationalist movement, the Revolution in Russia (and the subsequent flood of emigres from the Crimea, Caucasus, Russia, etc) and os on and so forth.

Wow! John H. Crowe of Walker in the Wastes fame (and Realm of Shadows AND Coming Full Circle) ran us through an amazing adventure where we were researching the Knights Templar and had to recover Templar documents held in the Ottoman archieves from the time the Turks conquuered Cyprus. We ending up in Constantinople in 1920 and the partitioned city was an amazing environment. The French, British and Italian zones, the Russian emigre population, Bolshevik agents, Greek Nationalists, Turkish Nationalists... it was a really compelling environment to have to navigate while we tracked down these out of work Turkish bureaucrats and tried to negotoitate the sale of the documents.

sglancy12
Actually - to throw a total tangent on this thread - I once developed a Call of Cthulhu scenario set during New Zealand's Land Wars (c. 1845-1872). It is totally undeveloped and never play-tested, but I always through it had potential.

Well Dang! Maori uprisings? Shades of the movie Utu? Write it up! Playtest it and then send it to us so we can playtest it. John H. Crowe is going to inflict a scenario from the Dahomey War on us, so something from the later period would fit in nicely. We're trying not to go much further back than the 1890s with Horrors of War.

Mikeythorn

Well Dang! Maori uprisings? Shades of the movie Utu? Write it up! Playtest it and then send it to us so we can playtest it. John H. Crowe is going to inflict a scenario from the Dahomey War on us, so something from the later period would fit in nicely. We're trying not to go much further back than the 1890s with Horrors of War.

Sweet! Will do. Utu was the kinda thing I was going for. With a bit of the original Wages of Fear chucked in (in that it begins in a town full of the dregs of Western society). My scenario was set in 1845 'cos I wanted it set back before the settlement era and 'cos certain events happened then which I wanted to work into the game (the almost supernatural actions of Maori chief Hone Heke and the British response - fleeing their only significant settlement and then turning the ship's cannons upon the town). After about 1870 New Zealand history gets very peaceful and dull but I'll try and work out a way of working something in.

MalcolmCraig

Wow! John H. Crowe of Walker in the Wastes fame (and Realm of Shadows AND Coming Full Circle) ran us through an amazing adventure where we were researching the Knights Templar and had to recover Templar documents held in the Ottoman archieves from the time the Turks conquuered Cyprus. We ending up in Constantinople in 1920 and the partitioned city was an amazing environment. The French, British and Italian zones, the Russian emigre population, Bolshevik agents, Greek Nationalists, Turkish Nationalists... it was a really compelling environment to have to navigate while we tracked down these out of work Turkish bureaucrats and tried to negotoitate the sale of the documents.

It is indeed a fascinating time and place for running games, and one in which I think CoC fits particularly well. A book which was a great source of inspiration for this game was The Orientalist by Tom Reiss, a biography of the remarkable Lev Nussimbaum. The sections where he and his father have travelled to Constantinople were particularly useful. A very interesting book overall as well.

The Russian emigre population was heavily used in our game, the 'duchesses' serving in smoky cafes, former Czarist army officerstending hookahs for bloated Turkish underworld barons and so on. Although, I must admit that the game was at a slight remove from standard BRP, where players had chips that gave them automatic success or the authority to bring things into scenes if they filled in information about their characetr as the game went on. Good fun all round.

Cheers

Malcolm

phobia

CthulhuBob runs a decent WW1 game at Origins now and again, called "Over There."

I have no idea if he reads this forum often enough to comment, but if you ever have a chance to participate, I highly recommend it.

At a short 2-3 hour scenario, its about as far from a campaign as you can get, though I could easily see it being extended into a longer game.

sglancy12
CthulhuBob runs a decent WW1 game at Origins now and again, called "Over There."

I have no idea if he reads this forum often enough to comment, but if you ever have a chance to participate, I highly recommend it.

Hellfire and damnation, son!

Ask Mr. Cthulhubob to submit that scenario to Pagan!

Heck, let me just go ahead and say it here first: Anyone with a WWI scenario (preferably set somewhere other than the trenches of the Western Front) please subit it to us! Email it to Paganbiz@aol.com!

As mentioned before, the Horrors of War project was orginially supposed to be a collection of scenarios set in a variety of wars from the turn of the century until the outbreak of WWII. But since the first four scenarios we've got (two done, two in the works) are set during WWI, I'm pushing to have the "Horrors of War" project become a collection of WWI scenarios. If the project concentrates on WWI, then the scenarios can serve as the backstories for why an Investigator later goes on to have CoC careers in the 1920s. Everyone at Pagan seems pretty enthusiastic abouth the idea.

At the moment we have two scenarios confirmed and two on the way. We probably don't have room for more than six scenarios... eight if they are really short. So if you've got a WWI scenario please send it in.

CthulhuBob

While I have a few excuses--like raising children, going to college extensively and serving in the military--it has taken me 26 ( and running) years to write my Call of Cthulhu campaign. Granted, I'm a little obsessed with detail.

Soon, hopefully, I'll add the finishing touches and run the damn thing a few times for a series of player groups. (I have a bunch of people interested in playing in it, thankfully.)

The point being that it ends in the late 1930s, and the follow-up campaign (which will NOT take me 30 frigging years to write) will involve the players being a group of allied agents seeking and dealing with Nazi occult experiments/investigations/goings on.

Granted, I'm talking about WWII, not WWI. Still, as David mentions, I have written a WWI based scenario (Western Front, I'm afraid). I have now submitted it as above.

Being a Historian with an eye toward military history, and a Cthulhu afficionado, I'd be interested in projects that involve tentacles mixing with humans killing each other.

Thank you,

Tinsel

I had the chance to run my players through a quick trip to WWI. Long story short they meet up with ghouls who lived and ate like kings in no-mans land. Saw the scary things that flew in the night sky (nightgaunts) and which took a nice chunk out of one of the fighter planes. Had to deal with all the mud and the blood of such in this scary war. Even got to do a little armored car fighting in Egypt, thanks to the nice write up in Fearful Passages.

all great fun..now what about a game with the players fighting in Russia at the end of WWI with the American Expeditionary Force or AEF. Here in nice wiki link for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Russia_Campaign

KaosDevice

I've got an idea for a WWI dogfighting, RAF pilot kind of adventure, but I need to think it out a bit more and do a little research.

Franko

Greetings,

My name is Frank Frey and I am the fellow that is working up the WWI scenario set in occupied Belgium. If any of you have ever read of what the Germans did in Belgium and Northern France in August - October of 1914 then you will understand when I say that it is taking some work to write a scenario set in that time.

Still, "The Sorcerer's Shadow"(working title) should, I hope, prove challenging and informative.

Frank Frey

eltrevo

What about the Eastern Front?

Karloff
Does anyone know of any available scenarios other than the one in the book ?

In essence, the answer seems to be 'no - but there's cool stuff on the way.'

Which is always good.

TBH, I can't think of that many RPGs (or scenarios thereof) that dip into any war, let alone WWI. I know Wraith did a Great War setting; I remember Palladium's RECON [Vietnam]; there was a d20 Weird War bit going for a while; and I'm sure at least one or two fellas must have mined the Crusades for material. Yet, oddly, (given the dramatic imperative that war provides), I honestly can't think of that many games that use war as a story line.

There must be more than that little list, surely?

GreveMagnus

what about a game with the players fighting in Russia at the end of WWI with the American Expeditionary Force or AEF?

One of the scenarios in the Christmas in Kingsport monograph (curiously absent from Chaosium's on-line catalogue) uses this background. However, the scenario in question is so sketchy that it's really more like a set of notes than a fully-fledged scenario.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this