Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MadGav

The Surrey Enigma

MadGav

I am nearing the end of the old White Dwarf scenario The Surrey Enigma. It seemed like a gentle introduction to CoC.

Does anyone know if there was ever a subsequent scenario which specifically followed on from it? Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions of a published scenario that might be suitable as the next installment for newish investigators? For those who want to look, a summary of the conclusion to the scenario is set out below in white.

The investigators find an amulet of Y'golonac buried in a Surrey village. The amulet has various magical properties including increasing the chance of mutation in living things in its vicinity; allowing the owner to see magical effects by looking through the amulet and allowing Y'golonac to communicate with the owner.

Thanks.

Mr_Lin
I am nearing the end of the old White Dwarf scenario The Surrey Enigma. It seemed like a gentle introduction to CoC.

Does anyone know if there was ever a subsequent scenario which specifically followed on from it? Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions of a published scenario that might be suitable as the next installment for newish investigators?

Don't think there was ever an official sequel in White Dwarf, although Marcus Rowland wrote several other CoC scenarios for the mag including an excellent modern pair, "Draw the Blinds on Yesterday" and "Curse of the Bone."

I suppose a direct sequel to The Surrey Enigma would revolve around a visit from You-know-who or possibly some of his cultists.

jabonko

Oh! The Surrey Enigma... isn't that the episode where Rimmer and Cat get trapped outside the space-ship because Lister accidentally fell asleep instead of monitoring the docking bay doors?

Oh... no... no wait... that's Red Dwarf.... but that was a good show.

So no... I don't know anything about White Dwarf... are they related in some way to Games Workshop and Warhammer?

Mr_Lin

So no... I don't know anything about White Dwarf... are they related in some way to Games Workshop and Warhammer?

In some way, yes. White Dwarf was GW's magazine but up until the late 1980s covered a range of games, not just those produced by its owner, and definitely not just Warhammer.

GBSteve

You could always email Marcus. He's pretty approachable, especially if you tell him you enjoyed it.

deuce

In some way, yes. White Dwarf was GW's magazine but up until the late 1980s covered a range of games, not just those produced by its owner, and definitely not just Warhammer.

Yeah, my long-time friend/gaming-partner-in crime has several issues from that time period. Some quality stuff.

Macbeths-Physic

Remember when White Dwarf had RPGs in it....*sigh*

MikeC

There was a time when WHITE DWARF was the bests games

magazine in the world, even when they went from being a

general interest publication to being the GW houseorgan.

Then Games Workshop decided that they could make more

money pimping little plastic figures than making the most

creative RPG's ever.

So it goes.

MikeC, GREEN AND PLEASANT LAND, and TRAIL OF LOATHESOME

SLIME are still perhaps the 2 best CoC supplements ever.

red_bus
There was a time when WHITE DWARF was the bests games

magazine in the world, even when they went from being a

general interest publication to being the GW houseorgan.

Then Games Workshop decided that they could make more

money pimping little plastic figures than making the most

creative RPG's ever.

So it goes.

MikeC, GREEN AND PLEASANT LAND, and TRAIL OF LOATHESOME

SLIME are still perhaps the 2 best CoC supplements ever.

I agree absolutely! White Dwarf from issue no. 1 (1979) to roughly no. 90ish (1987) was the best roleplaying magazine in the world - far exceeding Dragon etc.. in terms of breadth of coverage, quality scenarios, intelligence and imagination. Then it all went downhill :cry:

Anyway, here is a list of all the Call of Cthulhu Articles (not counting the Call of Chulhu scenario reviews) in White Dwarf...

WD 42 (June 1983), Cthulhu Now!, Part 1: Skills and Weapons

WD 43, Cthulhu Now!, Part 2: Mini-scenario Outlines, Dial 'H' for Horror , Trail of the Loathsome Slime, Cthulhu Now!

WD 50, The Watchers of Walberswick: England, 1934

WD 60, The Bleeding Stone of Iphtah: Final scenario of 1984 Games Day CoC Competition, for 3-5 players in Jerusalem

WD 62, Crawling Chaos: Creatures from Brian Lumley's Beneath The Moors, Bokrug (Lesser Independent Race), Thuun'Ha (Lesser Servitor Race)

WD 63, Draw the Blinds on Yesterday: Modern-Day Adventure for 2-5 British Characters

WD 64, Crawling Chaos: The Bearers of the Mark - CoC Society

WD 66, Crawling Chaos: Once Risen, Twice Shy, Clues for Tempest Manor

& The Horse of the Invisible: Scenario

WD 67, Haunters of the Dark: Ghosts, Non-Mythos Adversary

WD 68, Crawling Chaos: Free the Spirit, The Clergyman, Hypnotism

WD 69, The Surrey Enigma: Scenario for 3-5 Characters

WD 70, Crawling Chaos: The Price is Right - Prices in 1920s Britain

WD 71, Cults of the Dark Gods - The Assassins, The Knights Templar

WD 72, Fear of Flying: Scenario for medium to long air journey

& Crawling Chaos: Recommended Reading - The Gemhetep Papyrus, The Sphingien Manuscript

WD 73, Cults of the Dark Gods 2 - Freemasonry, Bavarian Illuminati, Nazi Party

WD 74, Gentlemen and Players: A Guide to Creating British Investigators

WD 75, The Heart of the Dark: An Illuminatingly different scenario

WD 77, The Cars That Ate Sanity: 1920s Car Chases

WD 79, Ghost Jackal Kill: Prequel Adventure to GW CoC Scenario The Statue of the Sorcerer

WD 80, Ancient & Modern: A Scenario for Schizophrenic Roleplayers - Part One of an epic adventure across time and space

WD 81, Ancient & Modern: A Scenario for Schizophrenic Roleplayers - Part Two of an epic adventure across time and space

WD 83, Then Everything Went Black: Optional Plot Device Rule for Knocking Out Investigators

WD 86, Curse of the Bone: Modern Scenario in London

WD 87, With a Pinch of Salt: Zombies

WD 88, The Paddington Horror: 1920's Sub-Plot for use when an Investigator is Captured by Cultists

WD 89, Be Afraid... Be Very Afraid: New Phobias

WD 90, Green and Pleasant Language: British Period Slang

WD 91, Ghosties & Ghoulies & ... Squid?: Cthulhu Mythos

& A Hard Act To Follow: Public Order for British-based campaigns

WD 93, Letters From A Foreign Land: Multi-System Adventure for 3-5 PCs

WD 94, Situations Vacant: Alternative Employment - New Careers

WD 97, Trilogy of Terror: Three Cases for CoC , The Book, The Séance, A capital Offence

WD 99 (March 1988), Spirit of the Mountain: Adventure in Navajo lands of Arizona

(info. thanks to The Improved and Expanded Exodite's White Dwarf and Fanatic Press Index)

Not bad eh! :D

Those were the days...

Macbeths-Physic
Those were the days...

Remembers.....*sighs*

cynick
Anyway, here is a list of all the Call of Cthulhu Articles (not counting the Call of Chulhu scenario reviews) in White Dwarf...

Missed The Last Log from #56

(A slightly expanded list can be found here in the magazines thread :wink: )

red_bus

Much obliged - I missed that thread completely!

Also, depending upon your criteria, you might also add in from WD #90 - "The Ley Of The Land: An Investigation of Ancient Monuments, Adventures on Ancient Sites, Stone Circles, Standing Stones, Barrow Mounds, False Monuments, Lines of Earthpower" (p58-62) which mentions Call of Cthulhu as well as a few other systems.

I am compiling a folder with all the Call of Cthulhu articles in White Dwarf for easy reference and fun reading. Yes that does mean cutting up spare WDs... all for a good cause though :D .

Gaffer
Much obliged - I missed that thread completely!

Also, depending upon your criteria, you might also add in from WD #90 - "The Ley Of The Land: An Investigation of Ancient Monuments, Adventures on Ancient Sites, Stone Circles, Standing Stones, Barrow Mounds, False Monuments, Lines of Earthpower" (p58-62) which mentions Call of Cthulhu as well as a few other systems.

I am compiling a folder with all the Call of Cthulhu articles in White Dwarf for easy reference and fun reading. Yes that does mean cutting up spare WDs... all for a good cause though :D .

I don't see the article on "Mummerset" that came out about the time of "Green and Pleasant Land" and was a primer on phony country dialects. One of my favorites.

cynick
I don't see the article on "Mummerset" that came out about the time of "Green and Pleasant Land" and was a primer on phony country dialects. One of my favorites.

#90 (Jun '87) p12-13 Green and Pleasant Language by Marcus L. Rowland

English slang and the "humorous" Mummerset regional dialect

This article was originally intended to appear in GW's "Green and Pleasant Land" sourcebook. An expanded version appears in Red Giant #1 (Nov '90?)

The_Usernameless_Horror

The Surrey Enigma also strikes me as really adaptable to any campaign because the amulet can easily be changed to any artefact you like; or associated with a different entity to Y'Golonac.

benmoule

i was wondering if any of these older publish adventures were available to download nay place? I was thinking both white dwarf, and the old adventurer magasine (if anyone recalls that one)?

Ben

Karloff

Unfortunately I think you're out of luck on White Dwarf. The only online DB I know of features issues from 100 onwards - and even that's just an article listing. It used to be that you could find back issues at UK game conventions, but it's been so long since I've been to one that I couldn't say whether it's still possible.

Jules
i was wondering if any of these older publish adventures were available to download nay place? I was thinking both white dwarf, and the old adventurer magasine (if anyone recalls that one)?

Ben

If you're in London, you can definitely read the White Dwarfs for free (and pay to photocopy the articles) at the British Library.

See here for details of registering as a Reader.

The White Dwarfs are not on the open shelves so you'll have to order them up (either in advance, or on the day if you're happy to wait).

I'm not sure if any of the other British and Irish copyright libraries (the Bodleian at Oxford, Cambridge University Library, Trinity College Library in Dublin, and the National Libraries of Scotland and Wales) have them in stock - only the British Library is obliged to hold a copy of everything...

Karloff

Good God. Really?

I'd have said ordering in advance'd be the better bet. Whenever I've dealt with the British Library, and the topic's been at all obscure, they've said it takes a couple of working days because the material's stored offsite. I've no idea where; judging by the fuss they made I think it must have been in Greenland or somewhere similarly inaccessible.

Mmmm. I'm going up to London soon on other business . . . .

Aurelius

I never managed to get one, but I understand that GW Australia produced a DVD set of White Dwarves for the first 10 years of the magazine's life, which got withdrawn from sale at the very last minute for some complex copyright reasons...

It does exist, it's damn rare, and I was reminded of it only recently when a copy turned up on EBay!

MadGav

I'm not sure if any of the other British and Irish copyright libraries (the Bodleian at Oxford, Cambridge University Library, Trinity College Library in Dublin, and the National Libraries of Scotland and Wales) have them in stock - only the British Library is obliged to hold a copy of everything...

I have looked at a back issue of White Dwarf at the Cambridge University Library - they produced it in about an hour as far as I can remember. They didn't have any issues prior to WD16, however.

benmoule

there has to be some kind of irony there, surely? looking up CoC scenarios in the british museum.

Ben

Aurelius
It does exist, it's damn rare, and I was reminded of it only recently when a copy turned up on EBay!

And as soon as I say it's rare - someone has four on EBay.