Coelacanth

The Complete CTHUVIAN / ENGLISH DICTIONARY

ashh_taavakra

Yes, regrettably geocities has gone away and taken my poor little file with it. I’ve looked, but I don’t seem to have another copy; perhaps it will resurface one eldritch night, but until then, it must and shall remain among the lost and unattainable things of this or any world.

thewoozle

What a noble old thread. I'm in the final process of creating my Cthovian-word Lorem Ipsum word generator and while looking proudly at my quasi-grammatical sentence structure.. it hit me. Why the heck would anything like the Cthovian language have English sentence structure??

Here's a couple example sentences from my generator:

C'ruggous-nyth ymnahn'-yar culn-nyth, Hastur h'kadishtu y'hah cthonians-agl hupadgh, fm'latgh-nyth.
Nn'ai n'necronomicon h'grah'n throd 'ai, Yith-nyth ph'nglui-og na'bug grah'n, na'ah-or wgah'nagl k'Yoggoth shub-kn'a-og.

Aye, there are some odd prefix/word/suffix combinations, but I think it's acceptable.

At any rate, anybody have any suggestions for non-euclidian grammer rules that wouldn't make it look to weird to the general public? Something like punctuation in Spanish.

demoss

It is only natural that human tongues would reflect the ancestral memories of inhuman tongues from humanity's time as a slave-race of the Great Old Ones.

NaGeL

Hello, i know I'm reviwing a very old Thread, but I'm intestred if there was any proggress in this 'language'

And is tere any possibility to make this into an actualy ussable language?

Taavi

Not sure if you would call it "progress", but I reorganised the original posts into (what I deduce is) their proper order, and made a simpler looking version, because READING A LONG FILE ENTIRELY IN SMALL CAPS IN AN ODD FONT WAS DRIVING ME NUTS. Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tegn1cv4bu920m/Cthuvian-English%20Lexicography.pdf

NaGeL

Yes, i found that. its very useful.

but that's the only progress?

It would be so cool to actually have a Cthuvian language, and even communicate with that...

ZeroMostel

Before he passed on. I got copies of Macthulhu's notes, some 15 pages. They are dribs and drabs of the language, far from making a complete whole, but I can pass them on to you if you like.

Basically the language is incomplete. Not that many people work on it. But it is good enough to make incantations for games and other useful references. Just not a conversational language.

NaGeL

Passed on? You mean he died? poor chap.

And those notes would be delightful, thank you very much!

Lost Sojourner

Y'know, by cleaning up and adding in some citations, this would be almost publishable.