Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frankthedm

RLNTA Giant sea creature found of coast of SANTIAGO, Chile

PoC

It's quite a beastie. It also featured on UK TV news this evening.

Photo below from BBC web site, courtesy Elsa Cabrera/CCC.

chilean-shoggoth.jpg

Paul

Lurch

Those people in the picture, if you were there knowing what we know, wouldn't you be RUNNING!

CAThompson

Remember a Cthulhu invistigator is someone who despite their knowledge dosen't move to Sweeden (where te mythos seems less prevelent) but instead tries to learn more.

I think that giant squids have been found lately also (something is saw on the discovery channel) http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20020225/squid.html

GBSteve

My wife has got a cryptozoology book with a picture of something pretty similar to this. CZers have prozaically named them globsters and they are usually bits of squid.

Whether that's a big green squid with narcolepsy, I'm not sure if DNA testing is quite up to that level of detail yet.

PoC

The following is of course the true image the authorities didn't want us to see. Our thanks to intrepid investigators Ted Backman and Marc Laidlaw for uncovering this. :o

chilean-shoggoth-true.jpg

Paul

Eanroc

That's all well and good, and I'd love to believe it, but how can you prove that the 2nd photo isn't doctored? Or that the 1st one is? I would love to believe that a shoggoth washed up on the beach, but why should I? Is there anything even closely resembling proof? :?

PoC

Proof is often just a further degree of belief.

Innsmouthresident

Hmm... Really though, if it is not I giant squid, I have another theory; You see, when sperm whales die thier skin sometimes becomes detached from the body as the bones and organs sink. The blubberous skin then washes up on shore later.

Did anyone find out what that is in the picture?

Torp
The following is of course the true image the authorities didn't want us to see. Our thanks to intrepid investigators Ted Backman and Marc Laidlaw for uncovering this. :o

chilean-shoggoth-true.jpg

Paul

I'm quite sure (100%, actually), that the second picture is a false one. However, I've witnessed the thing over video streaming, and seen closeups of it. The place where you put the eye is actually theorised to be an eyesocket...

From joke to reality...

I think the last I heard was that they were quite sure it was a giant squid...

Maybe giant squids are servants of Cthulhu?

laclos

Have read that a few sea captain logs concerning that stretch of water often refered to strange floating fleshy masses. Of course these accounts were dismissed as old sea stories. But with prehistoric fish turning up in Madigascar(?) perhaps we shouldnt be so blase?!?

Perhaps Columbuses strange lights, the story of the flying dutchmann and wandering islands are not so fanciful as had been previously imagined? :P

OK - the above picture shows the taint of photoshop BUT isnt that what they want you to do. To dismiss the whole because of some partial embelishment? :wink: Actually that sort of circular logic was used to dismiss the claims that the Roswell video was a fake.

It was a fake, wasn't it?

Roadkill
Whether that's a big green squid with narcolepsy, I'm not sure if DNA testing is quite up to that level of detail yet.

Maybe it's because I just got around to heaving out my copy of Species, but now I have an image in my head of a researcher bending over a microscope which has a sample of Big Green's DNA on it, only to have said sample smash straight through the lenses and slap him around.

FunGuyfromYuggoth
Those people in the picture, if you were there knowing what we know, wouldn't you be RUNNING!

I would probably be gagging from the smell. You realize it's probably been floating around for a while...

Lord_Summerisle

Its a detached whale skin - no doubt at all.

(Then again we Cthulhu Cultists are always spreading misinformation to keep the rest of you off balance)

laclos

OK OK its a "detatched whale skin" (what detatched it one wonders), or perhaps a putrifying giant squid.

But strange things do pop up from time to time.

The coelacanth, the ancient fish that has existed for at least 360 million years, has been filmed swimming in shallow waters off the northeast coast of South Africa

So you believe your "detatched" story and I'll stay with my "odious sea blobs" idea. :wink:

Cheesy_Nacho

If your fragile minds can't cope and try and convince yourselves it' a bit of Whale........ we know better!

8)

Torp

Old subject, I know, but I just need to know:

Someone said that the thing is a detached whale skin. How, or more importantly what, can actually be able to detach a whale from its skin? I find the idea that there's actually something down there smart enough (or big enough) to flay a whale quite a bit more disturbing than not knowing what that thing is...

thor

Looks like Cthulhu was coughing up some phlegm. 8O Imagine Cthulhu when hes sick... eeewww. Of course, Lovecraft seems to point out that most mythos beasties flesh is horrible, slimy, and CANCEROUS. Maybe a tongue in cheeck (didn't spell that right) adventure could have scientists testing out mythos creatures to see their cancer antibodies... with terrifying results! Giant, sentient, evil tumors!

thor

oops