Sign in to follow this  
PaulFricker

Banner ads

PaulFricker

I've clicked on a few of the banner ads (Google ads) at the top of the page (hit refresh if you can't see them) and found some quite interesting stuff - Cthulhu movie, stuff about podcasting, and other Cthulhu related stuff. I believe the site earns revenue from each click on the links so get clicking and help support this YS.com

carnage_lee

I've been clicking the links, the only thing I don't like is that they open up in the same window - taking me away from YSDC, can they be re-jigged to open in a new window?

Lee

XombieMaster

You could always right click the ad and select open in new window.

PaulFricker

You need a browser that let's you choose to open links in a new window. Safari does it one the Mac, I'm sure there are programs that do it on the PC - doesn't firefox?

I've been clicking the links, the only thing I don't like is that they open up in the same window - taking me away from YSDC, can they be re-jigged to open in a new window?

Lee

XombieMaster
You need a browser that let's you choose to open links in a new window. Safari does it one the Mac, I'm sure there are programs that do it on the PC - doesn't firefox?

Lee

I haven't seen a browser on PC that can't do it. Firefox can open in either a new tab or window and Internet Explorer can do new windows like I said in my previous reply.

I don't know anything about Macs.

PoC

Alas we don't control the code or content of the display from Google Ads (some of which can be described as 'interesting' in a variety of ways). I know Firefox at least can be configured to open new links in a new window or tab. Internet Explorer 7 is also tab enabled.

Interestingly it's also the case that as part of the agreement with Google for using their advertising system, we can't tell people to "click on the Google ads" as this encouragement is seen as naughty in Google's sight. :o

The poor folks at The Harping Monkey site/Round Table Podcast installed the system and asked folks to click on the Google banners, to help raise funds for their Gen Con Indy 06 trip, apparently not fully realising the terms and almost made it to $100 revenue, before Google pulled their account (I guess Google must listen to their podcast :)). As far as I know, Google also kept the revenue.

So, we can't tell you to click on those ads, so we won't. :8E:

Paul

carnage_lee

Lee

I was thinking more along the lines of

[url="whatever"] Click me! [/url]

Robbie
I was thinking more along the lines of

[url="whatever"] Click me! [/url]

That would work for our 'local' banners, but not for the Google ones, which are controlled by the Google CPU!

Hagalaz

Yep. I've been clicking them few times too. And I use Firefox so the way they open up is not a problem for me.

:|

PoC

The revenue from the Google Ads plateaued after a while (also by Google terms and conditions we couldn't tell people to click on them) - so we've put that into suspension for a while and may bring it back at a future date as necessary. Meanwhile we have a few direct advertisers you can see at the top of the site so do feel free to click away, and many thanks to Afterhell, IGUK, UKGamesExpo and the great Dave Carson (Ungodly Warlock) for much valued support.

Squashua has suggested an interesting alternative with Project Wonderful. Does anyone else have experience of this?

Many thanks,

Paul

Guest squashua

Many, MANY comic book sites use Project Wonderful.

I rented space for Dagon Industries, and the hit percentage from an advertiser's standpoint is quite fair.

I have not used the advertising portion of it yet.

Most of the advertisers I see go with the "multiple small rectangles" model, which (I think) encourages bidders to... bid.

It's not all that expensive to advertisers, so you tend to get a large variety of ads.

PoC

Well, we're giving it a go...

As of typing, there's a new box on the left-hand side that now accepts (non-animated) button ads, so we'll see how it works out.

If this is successful enough, we will be able to remove the donations box completely, which would be excellent.

Advertising starts at zero dollars, which is pretty cheap!

Paul

Guest squashua

Zero dollars works only for 2 days; then you have to renew your ad. :-)

PoC

Has anyone else noticed the Project Wonderful ads choking the site delivery? I checked this morning and was typically waiting 40-50 seconds for a page load (instead of about 1 second), and it's still pretty slow now.

The PW people say everything is fine at their end, and it may be a connection issue between us and them. I know one other YSDC member (UK) that has had the same problem today. Any others?

Paul

N-kun

im nt having any trouble

FunGuyfromYuggoth

So if I hit the little guy with the hammer, I get a free iPod?

DrGikur

Loads fine for me too.

allicorn

It had been working fine for me until now, but today I'm getting consistent pauses of about 15 seconds during page loads. This happens at the point where the Project Wonderful box is the last thing currently rendered. Immediately after the pause, the rest of the page loads. No ad ends up being shown - the Project Wonderful box ends up empty.

I'm guessing the ad code may be pulling in individual ads using SOAP? If so, I ran across a very similar issue implementing some SOAP-based hooks in the Book of Alt Names recently. The solution I used was to shift the SOAP lookup out into an AJAX request and initiate that from the page's onLoad event. This means the content on the page never has to wait for the advert - the advert loads asychronously after the rest of the page is done.

Would be happy to help out or provide example sourcecode if you fancy.

Alli

Hazi

A small bit of info that may make the opening of links a bit easier: in Firefox, click the link with the middle button or wheel button of your mouse and it automatically opens in a new tab. That's assuming you have a mouse with a clickable wheel or a third button, of course.

// Hazi

Master_Forcide

The PW box was giving me some trouble earlier, but it seems to be fine now. I haven't noticed PW slowing down any other sites before. Odd.

PoC

Well, we've run the PW box for a couple of weeks and the return was an average of 5 cents/day. Considering some of the issues we've experienced and the case that Project Wonderful primarily seems to deal with web comics, I think we'll convert the box to other more directly related purposes.

In the first instance, to point to Allicorn's new MP3 album In Remote Places since he kindly supported us through the PW system and we played one of the pieces (Celaeno) at the end of Yog Radio #19.

Paul

PoC

We've installed a new banner ads system and are seeing how that goes.

While this one is also run through Google syndication, the content of the ad displays are handled by E. P. Healy over at Kobold Quarterly advertising, so hopefully they will be much more relevant than the sometimes very strange adverts we had displayed by Google before! (Though it looks like we will still get some of those.)

As I understand it potential revenue is generated by either impressions or click-throughs (depending on the advertiser).

While it's running, the site banner ads that were up at the top, I'll re-configure through the 'Arkham Advertiser' block.

- and so our journey through advertising takes a new turn; strange can be the ways of the web.

Cheers,

Paul

ephealy

It'll take a little bit for Google to learn what type of content is on YSDC. It shouldn't take too long, though.

Funny story: When Gnome Stew first ran ads, they kept getting garden gnomes. :)