Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAThompson

Yog-Sothoth Yithmass gift exchange

CharlesDexterWard
I RESEARCHED a bit on CharlesDexterWard (googled his real name and checked out his old posts) and discovered that he collected DVDs, so getting him a DVD of anything was probably out of the question. I found his Amazon list and prayed that he hadn't yet picked up the LXG books that he had put on that list years ago. In doing so, I added the related LXG books.

Then I added some obscure gaming and cthulhu stuff that I was "done" with or had duplicates of as well as some cool stuff I snagged from Dagon Industries. I had read the books (note all the pages that have dogeared corners are inspirations for CoC scenarios) and I didn't know what to do with the UFO magazines, but CDW seemed like a sport, so in they went. :-)

Nice detective work! :)

I do try to keep my amazon.com list up to date, just in case any family members check it out for gift ideas. Glad it helped you.

And thanks again for the gifts. I have much reading to do now. If I wasn't at work doing a major upgrade, I would have taken these three days off and had 10 day festival o' reading. :)

Badger

<snip>

Again, Badger, you did aces mate...

Yay! I'm so glad you liked your books. It was a pleasure. And Podmonkeys, your gift absolutely rawked. Opening it and enjoying the packaging was half the fun. ;) I'll try to post pictures of my new statue tonight...

-=badger

PodMonkeys

oo... I've been dieing to know what you thought of it! :D I'm almost gibbering like a ghoul who just found a nice corpse! :P

jabonko

A statue? Oh how jealous I would be if it turned out he had the Legrasse Prop from the HPLHS film.

I asked for that thing for two Yithmasses, a birthday, and college graduation... but alas, never received it and now it is sold out.

PodMonkeys

I can say, that alas... it is not the Legrasse prop. I've been dieing to divulge details, but I'll let Badger have the honor at that.

Badger
I can say, that alas... it is not the Legrasse prop. I've been dieing to divulge details, but I'll let Badger have the honor at that.

Well, with no more ado....

Here is the mysterious package that i received. No telling where Podmonkeys could have unearthed it....

box1.gif

Removal of the burlap and twine reveals...

box2.gif

Do i dare open the box? Of course!

box4.gif

Notice those carvings on the base of the statue? They go all around! And it's engraved with the artist's name on the bottom.

And a certificate of authenticity to boot!

box3.gif

Just amazing work, my friend. I'm already plotting on how i might be able to use this as a sinister prop...but for the time being, it shall take an honored place in my home. Thanks again!

-=badger

Guest squashua

That is freaky-deeky sweet.

PodMonkeys

I've been dieing to talk about the idol since before I even sent it.

One of the funny tidbits is that immediately after I mailed that, I changed my site name/url from PodMonkeys.com to LostCarcosa.net. The url on the certificate is a bit off now but I'll be keeping PodMonkeys.com around and just have it forward to LCDN.

That item right there, being Cthulhu Idol #2, is actually the third one I tried making. The original #2 suffered a horrible death in the oven, where it tragically fell over and hardened while baking, no doubt caused by a jealous or angry god. The sight of Cthulhu face down in the pan looking like he just passed out from too much alchohol was a bit odd, not to mention the lost work that went into it. Badger, you'll be glad to know that I used a novel Paperclip reinforcing and made it a bit more robust than the preious model.

Cthulhu Idol #1 got to see a bit of Salem, MA on Halloween night as I was dressed up as Josef Hawkesmoore, who retrieved the idol from the depths of the jungle while on expedition to the Congo.

http://www.lostcarcosa.net/album/halloween-2006/

I can just imagine all the fun these things could be in game. Its like a little bit of LARP added to the Pen & Paper game. "You find a small box" /plunk! Oh, the San loss possibilities. :P

I was actually a little worried badger wouldn't like it, as I am quite good at doubting myself and the things I make. :P I'm glad you like it, Badger!

jabonko
I was actually a little worried badger wouldn't like it, as I am quite good at doubting myself and the things I make. :P I'm glad you like it, Badger!

Hahahaha! Now you know how I felt. :twisted:

"Oh great... I'm sending this to a guy who draws and is artsy. [insert profanity]. I'm no artist! I should just go buy something, but it's too late now."

swj719
I can just imagine all the fun these things could be in game. Its like a little bit of LARP added to the Pen & Paper game. "You find a small box" /plunk! Oh, the San loss possibilities. :P

Player 1: "What the hell is... Who wants to open it?"

Player 2: "Hell no... Oh HELL no... I'm not TOUCHING it..."

Player 3: "Look at the smile on his face... No way I'm going near it."

Player 4: "Um... You know, I really do need to get up early for work tomorrow... And I think they are shifting me to nights starting next week, so I might not be able to make it any more..." *eyes Keeper and box with fear and suspicion*

I'm all for anything that breaks a player... Best time I had in a LARP was the old White Wolf's Camarilla fanclub's Werewolf game before the reset... Being friends with a regional Werewolf storyteller who's married to the NATIONAL werewolf story teller does you NO favors of the "neat toy" sort (well, one, but that would have happened no matter who she was), but does LOADS for the "God damn you and this story... I love it!!!" type of fun...

Remember kids... If the players aren't smiling and cursing your very soul, you are failing as a game-runner... :)

PodMonkeys
Hahahaha! Now you know how I felt. :twisted:

"Oh great... I'm sending this to a guy who draws and is artsy. [insert profanity]. I'm no artist! I should just go buy something, but it's too late now."

Heh. Though I'm told I draw well, I don't see myself as very skilled or talented. Of course, I probably keep comparing myself to some pretty high standards. I like your book, but now I have the problem of, "what do I put into it?" Theres so many posibilities! notes, sketches, recipes, possibly make it a prop... :twisted:

Player 2: "Hell no... Oh HELL no... I'm not TOUCHING it..."

I can't help but recall PoC, when they found the Cthulhu statue in the box, with his "ooo... its tingly!" :D

jabonko
I like your book, but now I have the problem of, "what do I put into it?" Theres so many posibilities! notes, sketches, recipes, possibly make it a prop... :twisted:

Yeah... I have a smaller book that I made for myself a while back featuring the Yellow Sign across the cover. It's the best book I've made (your book is a close second) and I've never been able to put anything in it because I just don't feel like whatever I'd write/draw/etc wouldn't be worthy of such an awesome book.

PodMonkeys

That Yellow Sign book came out pretty nicely. Good work Jabonko. :)

I'm thinking I should get started on next years Yithmass gift now. Just imagine what I could do by next Yithmass! ... Why... thats enough time for 11 months 13 days of slacking, and 1 day to throw something together! :D

Badger

I'm thinking I should get started on next years Yithmass gift now. Just imagine what I could do by next Yithmass! ... Why... thats enough time for 11 months 13 days of slacking, and 1 day to throw something together! :D

Heh heh! And not to worry, Pod- i very much do like it. I'm even keeping the burlap so i can re-wrap it if/when i use it on my players.

I think i may try to make something for next year's Yithmass- i could swear someone here mentioned that they got some props from HPLHS' prop kit. I recently bought that myself, and it might be cool to make a pack of clues with the props- sort of a scenario made entirely of handouts for a keeper to use.

Damn you Colin! See what you've started??!? :D

-=badger

PodMonkeys

hmm... homemade scenarios for next Yithmass?

jabonko

I love the smell of grandma in the kitchen baking up handouts and plot-lines... yummmm

LongPigFanatic

I love the smell of grandma in the kitchen baking up handouts and plot-lines... yummmm

You had me at "the smell of grandma."