Sign in to follow this  
PoC

Horror on the Orient Express Audio Game

Ashles

Hi, I just had to post as I am on the Orient Express right now. It's amazing - feels like travelling back in time.

I will have a sneaky listen to HotOE later on. Has to be done.

WatsonSE
The stack of five pound notes are indeed used as an in-game money pool. It's interesting to see the players argue over it, stealing/secreting parts of it from others. :twisted:

Hi Paul,

I love the HotOE Audio game to the point that I now have changed my mind in regards to what campaign we will run next - it will be Horror on the Orient Express!

I am curious to were you have found the pictures for the 5-pound notes (from the period). May I ask for a link?

PoC

It was off a web site that had a series of images of 1920s £5 notes (of course)! However, I can no longer find the site, but some Googling may turn up newer sources.

Paul

Fu_Manchu

5-Nairne-1916.jpg

Date first issued: 1793

Date last issued: unknown

Date ceased to be legal tender: 1 March 1946

Colour: Monochrome (printed on one side only).

Size: 7 11/16" x 4 11/16" (195mm x 120mm)

Design: Size may vary. Issued also by Bank of England Country Branches from 1826.

Bank of England Website.

WatsonSE

Thanks Paul and Fu_Manchu for the reply!

WatsonSE

Paul, during the HotOE-sessions, did you use the music by Alex Otterlei as intro music during your sessions (before actual play started)? Or was it only added as intro/end for the audio-files?

BTW, I have listed to [almost] all sessions in very short time (<2 weeks!) - I have seriously become addicted... :D

I am right now preparing to start my own HotOE in a few weeks.

PoC

Glad you like them! It was only for the intro/end files. Since we essentially play & record in the Dining Room, things have to be portable including sound systems.

We have used pre-recorded audio in game fairly recently with Walker in the Wastes - that seemed to have turned our fairly well.

Paul

PoC

The recent post reminding of HotOE, I found the following last year in the pages of one of those free magazines the train operators sometimes put out.

orient-express-advert-08.jpg

What's quite handy is if you send away for the brochure you get lots of interesting photos, history and cut-away plans of the carriages. :)

Paul

WatsonSE
Glad you like them! It was only for the intro/end files. Since we essentially play & record in the Dining Room, things have to be portable including sound systems.

Then it was as I thought. I don't just like them - I love them! I didn't think that i would like listening to another group playing as much I did. I will probably listen to the last session today. On the upside, I have the Walker in the Wastes Audio Game to look forward to...

We have used pre-recorded audio in game fairly recently with Walker in the Wastes - that seemed to have turned our fairly well.

Oki. We have 'always' used pre-recorded audio, especially music, that was the reason why I was curious about whether you used it before- and after the actual sessions (as the music was in the files).

It's gonna be really fun to start listening to the Walker in the Wastes Audio Game, and how Val is doing as a Keeper.

Keep up the good work!

WatsonSE

Paul; the voice changer you used a couple of times during the campaign - was that based on just software or was it a piece of hardware?

I am thinking about using some kind of voice changer in our upcoming sessions and would like some advice.

Thanks,

MikeC
Paul; the voice changer you used a couple of times during the campaign - was that based on just software or was it a piece of hardware?

I am thinking about using some kind of voice changer in our upcoming sessions and would like some advice.

Thanks,

I suspect it was hardware; they are often sold as toys (there was a

TRANSFORMERS-shaped one sold through Radio Shacks here in the US

for many years).

You might even be able to find one at a dollar store.

MikeC

PoC

Yes, just a simple cheap 'voice changer' from the Halloween (toy) section in a shop in Shetland.

Paul

WatsonSE

Thanks for the answer!

I tried several software voice changers, but found them all to be quite rubbish (way too much delay to be useful). Sometimes the most simple solution is the best! :D

Cuchulain

Recently, I bought myself a little coffee table book - I think it's called Weapons: A Pictorial History. Or something like that.

Imagine my amusement to find, on page 159, a picture of two small, elegant pistols, labeled "Muff Guns".

Yes, they were for ladies to secret away in the aforementioned spot.

PoC

The Horror on the Orient Express audio game will come off public release at the end of the year.

I'm including here a few review comments from the iTunes store (before the feed goes offline).

Gripping and exciting classic horror roleplaying

The best horror stories make you care about the characters before the really horrible things happen to them. Horror on the Orient Express will have you on the edge of your seat, terrified for the fate of the characters who seem so real - brought to life by expert roleplayers.

If you haven't roleplayed, listen to what you're missing! If your a jaded, cynical gamer, listen and get re-energised about everything you used to love! Everyone else, just listen to the wonderful storytelling, the gripping characterization, and the true horror of Paul of Cthulhu's accents...

When did everyone else learn Arabic?

The steadfast Colonel Goodenough, the wit and wisdom of Mrs Betty Sunderland, the beautiful Violet and her imaginary husband. Poor, poor Grace Murphy. These are some of the fantastic characters realised by the Bradford Players in this epic adventure across Europe and beyond.

Exotic locations, maniacal baddies, dangerous chickens and the fate of the world in their hands. A must have for old and new roleplayers or anyone who enjoys a ripping yarn!

Wonderful, entertaining, thrilling, educational, but above all very, very funny...

Quite simply this podcast (and other Yog-Sothoth podcasts) is about all I have used my iPod for for the last couple of months. A superb melding of acting, role-playing, Lovecraft Mythos, entertaining chatting and extraordinary situations, but the whole is so much more than the sum of its worthy parts.

It is also recorded at excellent audio quality (unlike many podcasts).

If you have a long commute or lots of time in the car or train try this and you'll be hooked. The characters are rich and surprisingly well detailed, the players intelligent and funny, and the whole campaign moves along at a terrific pace.

You'll never look at a chicken in the same way again...

The best pizza in Austria

I'd love to say a massive thank you to everyone responsible for this wonderful and entertaining podcast. The group are not only great role-players, they're also funny, well-informed and creative, and exude a warmth that makes listening a real treat. On a recent trip to Austria my boyfriend and I ate a pizza in their honour. Thanks again. Please do some more! P.S. The bit where Paul accidentally says "botties" instead of "bodies" made me cry laughing. :)

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to everyone who listened and for all the very kind words of appreciation and support. They were most gratefully received. Thank you again for joining us on our journey in Horror on the Orient Express!

Paul

DarkKeeper
The Horror on the Orient Express audio game will come off public release at the end of the year.

Paul

Oh No!! I listen to this frequently - why is it going away? What a great work of, dare I say, art!

what happened Paul?

regards,

Will

Fallingtower

Hey Paul....

I've been listening to it (HotOE) on my Ipod for the past week at work...thoroughly enjoying it. Said Podcast is keeping me sane, I have a new co-worker (who I don't care for) and having my earbuds in allows me to ignore him without seeming overtly rude.

The death of Professor Moretti was a blow and your crying as Maria S. "Oh Papa..Papapapappapapa...." caused me psychological damage.

PoC

Sorry about that. :)

- but at least part of the world is now safe! Horror on the Orient Express has now been cycled off public release (though YSDC Patrons still have access to it).

Tatters of the King starts it full public release soon...

Paul

YunusWesley

I choked upon reading this. Could hipster humorists in Ohio be listening to Horror on the Orient Express? You can't fool the one eye!

hotoe-comic-a-grand-adventure.gif

NOTE THE BOY'S NAME FOR GOD'S SAKE!!

Uryon

Just got to the part were Fenalik attacks our intrepid investigators.

Paul, you are having FAR too much fun with your voice changer and Fenalik sound effects here. LOL!!

I am nearing this point in our home HotOE campaign. So, as the Keeper, I am gleefully looking forward to the carnage myself.

It has been a pleasure listening to you all play this great campaign out.

Uryon

Newbunkle

That episode is one of my favourites. :D

Brycat61

I love how meal time takes precedence over everything with the investigators, I'm a long time ( since the late 80's in college) gamer and a professional chef ( I work for a hotel chain) and I get a kick out of these characters wanting kippers and a English full on breakfast no matter where they at :P

I have been enjoying these recordings, I remember seeing this box set in the game stores years ago but never got around to playing it.