Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Van Helsing

Eero

Sounds horrible.

Mythos

Cannot help but feel that the look of Van Helsing owes more to Solomon Kane and Howard, then it does from Bram Stoker.

doccthulhu
Sounds horrible.

Yes, Hollywood at its brain-dead finest.

Doc

NestroEmichae

I'm already planning to not see it. It's already obviously not going to syay true to the character. This is going to be far worse than how I view them as having messed up LotR, and everyone I talk to about it knows I don't consider the movies to be Lord of the Rings instead of some cheap look-a-like.

Hollywood should be banned from making movies until it gets intelligent people making the decisions.

jcfiala

Oh, I dunno, it looks decent to me. I mean, sure, it's not based on Dracula - but we've got dozens of films based on Dracula. It's just a vampire hunter with a fair dash of steampunk and some interesting action bits.

I'm planning to see it at the moment, depending on what reviews I see of it first.

-john

doccthulhu
Oh, I dunno, it looks decent to me. I mean, sure, it's not based on Dracula - but we've got dozens of films based on Dracula. It's just a vampire hunter with a fair dash of steampunk and some interesting action bits.

-john

Not my taste. It's from the guy who brought us The Mummy, and I really hated The Mummy. It felt like I was watching a Scooby Doo cartoon.

Doc

jcfiala

Not my taste. It's from the guy who brought us The Mummy, and I really hated The Mummy. It felt like I was watching a Scooby Doo cartoon.

Doc

Well, that makes sense. However, both my wife and I thought the Mummy a lot of fun, so we'll probably see this one too.

-john

Mythos

I'll have to put this into my "Fun, but silly" list. I do want to see it, yes, it has no relationship to the original source material and, it will be nothing but an enjoyible killer of 2 hours of my time.

However, since I've been thinking about trying to create a CoC Steampunk style cross over, this movie may be what I need to get my insperation going.

In the long run it will end up in my DVD collection, next to LXG.

HJ

Yes definately fun but silly.

Very much in the mould of The Mummy and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Hopefully they won't put Abbott & Costello in as well as The Wolfman & Frankenstein's Monster.

CoC Steampunk - I'd watch Dr Who & The Talons of Weng Chiang if I were you.

HJ

FunGuyfromYuggoth
Hopefully they won't put Abbott & Costello in as well as The Wolfman & Frankenstein's Monster.

Today it would Jay and Silent Bob... :lol:

ghostdog
I'm already planning to not see it. It's already obviously not going to syay true to the character.

That shouldn't take too much planning then?

I think that as Van Helsing in this movie meets Frankenstein's monster, Doctor Hyde and the wolfman, it's pretty much a given that it won't be true to character.

What this ACTUALLY is is Universal Monsters Vs Van Helsing. Just an excuse for a period action horror flick...which sounds like young dumb but full of fun popcorn material to me...in much the same vein (no pun intended) as League of Extraordinary Gentlemen....that was never in a million years going to be the comic book, so I'd pretty much resigned myself to the fact that it would be shite before seeing it, which was a lot better because that meant my ass cheeks weren't so clentched as I sat there for two hours ;)

I say lighten up and take it for the fun that's intended and don't go looking for deeper meaning. for me, I've already seen the best movie this year and that was "Lost In translation". Anything after that is a no brainer so what the hell.

Eero
Sounds horrible.

Yes, Hollywood at its brain-dead finest.

Doc

I remember that S. T. Joshi once said, that if a proper Lovecraft movie would be made it had to be a simplified version of the stories. Hollywood movie audience would not understand so complex themes.

The_Crawling_Chaos
Hollywood should be banned from making movies until it gets intelligent people making the decisions.

They should be prohibited from making Mythos related movies too. Necronomicon and Dagon were horrible, and if the plot was an island, they were afloat in a sea of cheesy plot hooks.

OddJack

I have ot agree with the idea that this is hardly a film to take too seriously. Though wwith Beckinsale in ti you may wish to look closely. It's yet another popcorn flick (should I mention the rumors last year that this was to be spun off into a TV show?). It's like CoC being played by D&D rules.

And to Van Helsing, didi you think this was an adaptaion of Stoker's work? Of course not. His character, as I saw noted in another place, bears more resemblance to Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula's (now there is a movie to strike fear in the heart) Van Helsing. A battered war horse and fighter there, the younger man here. But it is more likely a coincidence.

Now that I've seen the trailer I do think it much to have all three nasties together (as long as this doesn't turn into another new version of the House of Frankenstein). Why not have a wolfish form for a vamp atttacking? Why Frank's son? I'm sure it'll make sense in the film...it better. :twisted:

cynick

"...no Civil War picture ever made a nickel." Irving Thalberg in 1936 on the prospects of Gone With the Wind.

Personally I'm looking forward to this one. Brain-dead Hollywood for sure, but entertaining none the less.

I won't judge it till I see it, but The Mummy was an enjoyable pulp-action p*** take of Indiana Jones, and reasonably Cthuloid in tone. It wasn't meant to be high brow entertainment. The sequel was OK (as sequels go), but The Scorpion King deserves the abuse heaped upon it.

NestroEmichae

Guys, I happen to be a Van Helsing purist. When it comes to things associated with Bram Stoker's famous love story, I tend to be critical of any major portion of it being used. I have to be critical in many areas and it sometimes crosses over.

OddJack
Guys, I happen to be a Van Helsing purist. When it comes to things associated with Bram Stoker's famous love story, I tend to be critical of any major portion of it being used. I have to be critical in many areas and it sometimes crosses over.

Oh, there is no doubt. The original material's Van Helsing in the better. The more action packed ones are variations on a theme that have nothing to do with Stoker and the book.

ghostdog

He's a very one dimensional character in Dracula. It's all those Hammer Films that gave him anything else that we associate with him now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.