Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JackLind

'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin killed.

Nightbrother

It was a small documentary segment for the show his daughter Bindi was hosting. The rest of his family were nowhere near at the time, though, seems they were in Tasmania, all three of them.

sanchez

Hi. Im from Australia

I am a patriot.

Steve Irwin did a lot of work to promote wildlife awareness, but at the same time gave Australia another shot-in-th-arm of the whole "Australias full of crazy croc hunting hicks". Thanks steve.

I hear that the facts are as follows:

>done in by a stingray, barb to the heart. He is the 3rd person ever in Australia to die from the stingray.

>He just had time to yell out CRIKEY!, before he died

>It took some time to find his wife, who was trekking in Tasmania (the little bit at the bootom of Aus) at the time of his death.

>The stingray in question is currently undergoing a high-celebrity trial by media, using the defense of temporary insanity for the crime. "I saw the movie", Mr. Ray stated earleir, "And I just snapped".

>I'll keep you posted with news from Aus.

Your fiendly Aussie mate, Blake.

Hudson
Its one thing to do something that is moderately dangerous and the possibility of dieing IE police, military or whatever because at least your working for the greater good (for the most part)

Steve Irwin did what he loved with great passion and a deep love for animals. If he were to give that up for a "safe" life and was killed by a Stingray or Jelly fish while swimming with his family, what would you say then? He might have been bitten by a common Brown spider in Aussie-land in his own back yard and died!

I am lucky that my life's work and passions run in the vein of a "safe" calling but some of us have been called to do dangerous work and to give it up and hide from the world just because you have a family is not something that is easily done. He made a big difference and his over the top manner and adventures. He brought attention, money and help to a very good cause. He seemed to be very happy with what he had done with his life. How many people with "safe" jobs making money for some nameless corporation can say that?

Guest squashua
To bad, Steve would have deserved a better death, like being bitten in half by a Croc,

No.

Steve did not want to be killed by any animal that he normally handled. I saw in an interview that he wanted us to know that these creatures are not to be feared but respected, and to be killed by one would only add to fear.

That having been said, a coworker who is an avid diver had a phone call from his mother asking that he stop diving because of all the "vicious stingrays in Florida". :roll:

ChristianII

It must be a statistical anomaly that a guy who spent his life wrestling crocs and running down poison snakes dies from getting stung in the most dangerous region by a fish (Not even a shark) who only killed 2 other australians ever.

Now if it had been a great white i wouldnt have been so surprised :/

Still, he did make some fun tv shows.

Xiphos
Steve Irwin did what he loved with great passion and a deep love for animals. If he were to give that up for a "safe" life and was killed by a Stingray or Jelly fish while swimming with his family, what would you say then? He might have been bitten by a common Brown spider in Aussie-land in his own back yard and died!

Hudson, Id say he died from an accident and it was horrribly ironic, I still wouldnt have a whole lot of respect for the guy because of his foolish antics, But as I said and Ill make my point again. If you had read the post in depth you might have caught this, I didnt say give up the job I merely stated that he could of done it without all the danger involved. Their are many people/groups out their that do the same job he did and dont expose themselves to that amount of danger. Granted he probably wouldnt have been AS sucessful but he would have still made a difference. I believe he had his priorities screwed up. Family is more important than any job and that has VERY FEW exceptions. But as Dennis Miller is so fond of saying "But thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Strange double post removed.

FunGuyfromYuggoth
I for one am going to miss Steve-O, he's had a great impact on wildlife conservation and raised awareness around the world

Steve-O isn't dead. http://www.steveovideo.com/index2.php He probably should be by now. Steve Irwin is dead. Rolling for Idea now. Interesting question: Why would a normally shy creature, like a stingray, lunge up at a diver peacefully paddling above and minding his own business?

Danforth

I applaud his conservation efforts and all the good work he did in raising awareness. I did not respect his foolhardy behaviour but as my father pointed out, if Steve had just shown us the animals like a hundred other shows, we sould have switched off to watch 'you've been framed' instead.

People watched his programs because of the mad things he did. We haven't really developed since the days of feeding christians to lions. The sadistic nature of reality shows displays this. Steve Irwin was popular because of this perceived dangerous activities. I do feel sorry for his wife and kids-his death is a tragedy but I didn't respect his TV show.

Guest squashua
Why would a normally shy creature, like a stingray, lunge up at a diver peacefully paddling above and minding his own business?

It lunged likely due to the proximity between Steve and the cameraman. There's video, but it's not public, yet. Steve pulled the stinger out himself, then died.

The_Usernameless_Horror

I think he was fantastic. Steve was a real adventurer and also a powerful and charismatic person, on a par with our own David Attenborough.

FunGuyfromYuggoth
Steve pulled the stinger out himself, then died.

:?: So did he die of cardiac arrest, as reported, or was it from bleeding out (pulling the stinger)? I wonder if keeping it in would've bought him a little more time? :cry:

Wanlorn

Well s**t. That sucks.

Xiphos

On a lighter note I did hear a rumor the last thing he said was "crikey" dunno if its true, but even if it isn't lets just pretend.

ninthcouncil
I think he was fantastic. Steve was a real adventurer and also a powerful and charismatic person, on a par with our own David Attenborough.
Though the comparison with whispering Dave probably points up why a lot of people didn't like Steve Irwin much.

I did remark to my other half at the time, though, that Steve Irwin being killed by a fish was kind of like David Attenborough being killed by a lemur.

Zharkow
Steve pulled the stinger out himself, then died.

:?: So did he die of cardiac arrest, as reported, or was it from bleeding out (pulling the stinger)? I wonder if keeping it in would've bought him a little more time? :cry:

Had he kept it in the poison would have probably killed him, what with the proximity of the heart and all. Then again maybe not. :?

I think what happend was, he gets stabbed, his brain flashes "POISON GET IT OUT GET IT OUT", he does so, and the shock kills him. Happens more often then one would think, and the ocean is mighty cold.

Of course this is pure speculation until the autopsy confirms the cause of death.

Teapot
He just had time to yell out CRIKEY!, before he died

Sounds like a stupid rumour to me. He was filming underwater, I believe (since the sting caught him square in the chest, for once).

It's a damn shame. I can see why his antics weren't to everyone's taste, but as Danforth said, it was a better way to get the message across to the viewer, than simply relaying the facts, documentary-style, and losing half of the couch potatoes to another reality trash show.

I am surprised to see him go this way. No matter how mangy a beastie he was dealing with, I always knew he'd get away unscathed. Steve will be sorely missed.

Regards,

Michael.

Guest squashua
On a lighter note I did hear a rumor the last thing he said was "crikey" dunno if its true, but even if it isn't lets just pretend.

He didn't and let's not and leave it at that.

Don't perpetuate stupid rumors.