Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JackLind

'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin killed.

GBSteve

Actually I never liked him. I thought he was a bully.

That said, no man is an island and all that.

JackLind

Still, like him or hate him, I'm sure he did more good than bad. At least his intentions were good.

GBSteve
Still, like him or hate him, I'm sure he did more good than bad. At least his intentions were good.
That's damning with faint praise if ever I heard it!

ninthcouncil

And killed by a fish, too...

Mr_Lin

That said, no man is an island and all that.

Fair point. Plus, if men were islands there'd probably be a lot more people killed by irate stingrays.

Nightbrother

The fact that he'll never say/yell 'Isn't she a beauty?!' ever again, actually makes me a bit sad. :(

The man made Enthusiasm Incarnate seem like a shy little boy.

Seeing re-runs on Animal Planet will be a sad cup of tea now.

JackLind
That's damning with faint praise if ever I heard it!

Just saying, you don't have to like every small detail about someone to have respect for the person.

Zharkow

Truth be told it was kind of expected. After all, poking various deadly animals barehanded can't be good for one's health in the long term.

That said, I salute the poor bugger. Steve, even in death you make us smile.

Side note: Only three Stingray induced deaths were ever recorded in Australia. Steve was the third.

Nightbrother

I'd have thought the man would be immune to most any poison from all his being bitten, clawed and attacked.

If he were to die while at work it should have been struggling with a 18-foot crocodile, and his last words, before being pulled underwater should have been 'Whoa, she's a beauty!'.

CharlesDexterWard

It wasn't the poison that killed him. It was the 20-cm barbed stinger in his heart that did him in.

JackLind
If he were to die while at work it should have been struggling with a 18-foot crocodile, and his last words, before being pulled underwater should have been 'Whoa, she's a beauty!'.

No it's a "good" thing a fish got him if he had to go.

The last thing I saw with Steve was a program where he said, that he hoped that he would never get kille by a crocodile, coz then all the people who thought they are just dangerous animals would say "see we were right!"

Nightbrother

I did not read all of the article. I'm really doing well at not reading things properly today. I recently became a father, and so I'll just blame it on lack of sleep. :) Barbed stinger, not poison, got it. I read just before that Ray poison can most likely not kill a man in itself, unless the individual suffered from allergies to the poison.

The people who held a grudge against Steve Irwin for his boisterous manner and general personality, are saying 'It finally happened', even though it was not a crocodile that took his life. However, I quite agree that the amount of 'Hah-saying' is probably much lessened compared to what it would have been had a croc or alligator killed him. I think many people were opposed to his perhaps risky ways of approaching all wildlife, not just reptiles.

Guest squashua

Man, that was a ****ty way to go.

Stingrays don't normally attack; this was a freak accident and the chances it would hit him right where it did were not very large. I thought he was great, especially early on with the whole, "I'm gonna touch the 17 deadliest snakes in the world!" thing.

I never did understand it though; why not find the deadliest snake and touch seventeen on them instead of touching the seventeen deadliest species. :-)

Guest tank82

To bad, Steve would have deserved a better death, like being bitten in half by a Croc, not stabbed to death by a flat ****ty Stingray. Kind of a bleak way to die. After all his stunts with different animals, he deserved something better, a great white would have been a fitting end for Steve.

SquibblyDibbly

I for one am going to miss Steve-O, he's had a great impact on wildlife conservation and raised awareness around the world.

Everyone knows who he was because he was such a character, something about his enthusiasm was infectious. I can't think of that many other Australians who have had the same impact or are so well known in England.

Its sad news but as Nightbrother said he always wanted to impress on people that the animals he dealt with are not as horrible as some people make out. I think he would have liked that it was a fish and not a croc that killed him. At least people will not now be saying "those stingrays are nasty and should be wiped out". It was a freak accident, not the dreaded spindley killer fish.

I like to think that Steve's last words were "Crikey !"

Mograg

The man leaves behind a wife and two small children. Whatever your opinions on his media persona, I am saddened to learn that there's two more kids out there who won't have Dad.

I thought his program was entertaining, and he fit the image of the reckless adventurer that I've seen in a few Call of Cthulhu scenarios. In a world gone mad with office cubicle clones and business-suit conformity, I'll certainly miss this brash-talking, crazy guy in khaki shorts who dove into alligator ponds and trekked through swamps. The guy was a bit of "James Starkweather," and for that he'll be missed.

Again though, all gaming references aside, the fact that he won't be around for his kids - that's the toughest aspect of the story, for me.

- Brian (Cthulhu fan and father of two)

ThothAmon

Reminds me of a certain South Park episode...

Even though he was a bit of a plonker I have much sympathy for his family :?

TheKingInYellow

I don't think any of us are really enterained by his death... Or at least not most of us... He was a person, and anyone's death is a regretable matter. But I do think most of us aren't particularly surprised by it- The man didn't seem entirely content to just handle animals, he appeared more content to enrage them. I respect his bravery and his work as an entertainer, as well as environmentalist.

David_Hallett

I'll miss his enthusiasm and his love of nature.

At first I thought it was ironic that he was killed by such a relatively harmless animal, but then I remembered that the biggest hazards are always the ones you don't see coming.

Danger danger danger! as Steve would have said.

Hudson
The man didn't seem entirely content to just handle animals, he appeared more content to enrage them.

The animals he handled tended to get enraged... by being handled!

As you said, He was a great lover of animals and really, I don't think he would have been surprised that he died at work. Just surprised by the creature in question. Still sad for his family.

FunGuyfromYuggoth

I love nature shows, but his philosophy was to handle animals like an old-fashioned "lion-tamer," which is in a very (methinks inappropriate) sensationalistic way. He knew what he was doing and for the most part got away with it while making a mountain of money in the process.

So to him I pour a bit of Southwark on the ground (L.A. style) and wish him a glorious journey. I just hope he doesn't try to mess with Cerebus! His family will have much to remember him by (thousands of hours of video, memorabilia, etc.). )(Any of us would be lucky to leave behind more than a musty closet of clothes, several boxes of game supplies, and a little real estate--if that.)

Cosmoline

I would have been shocked to hear he'd been killed by a croc. He was actually an expert wrangler and much of what he portrayed as edgy stunts were really just camped up chores. Crocs have to be moved many times in their life at the zoo and handled in the wild to do tagging and the like. They can't be shot up with drugs. He knew what he was doing with them. Stingrays in the ocean, though, are like anything else in the ocean--a real risk. You'll notice he never went out and poked at salt water crocs while swimming--he wasn't stupid. But if you're around wild animals enough eventually you may get hurt.

Xiphos

Im going to play devils advocate here, I see it a bit differently. It is tragic he died however what is more tragic is that he continued to tempt fate even after having two kids and a wife. Its one thing to do something that is moderately dangerous and the possibility of dieing IE police, military or whatever because at least your working for the greater good (for the most part) however IMHO once you become a husband/father that is the title that is most important and even though he probably wouldnt have been AS famous he should have given up all the foolishness because of his role to his family. That would seem to be to be much more important. He could of done his role as a conservationist and advocate for animals without all the hoopla and danger. It is sad his children will miss out on what seemed to be a great person. This just seems to be another Timothy Treadwell to me. What a waste.

:?

swj719

He died filming a documentary...

If they include the footage of him getting nailed, I'd so totally watch it...