Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jabonko

NMN: Pluto no longer a planet?

jabonko

Pluto may no longer be considered a planet.

Think this has any effect on the Mythos? Will the Fungi from Yoggoth still not be allowed in bars? Will the Mi-Go finally contact us to defend their status in the galaxy?

Wanlorn

The Greys will soon bring this up. These scientists will be taken for a drive by men in black 'copters. They won't be coming back in the same number of pieces.

The_Usernameless_Horror

Pluto hasn't been considered a planet for a long time; it and its moon Charon are simple the largest objects in an asteroid belt much larger than that between Mars & Jupiter called the Kuiper belt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4737647.stm

Nightbrother

Well, that's all semantics really. Officially it is still termed as a planet, even though the size of it doesn't warrant the tag 'planet'. I assume that the scientific community is battling each other over what it is and what it should be called.

The vote has been out on that subject for many years. :)

http://www.lowell.edu/users/buie/pluto/planet.html

jabonko

Rightright...

there is still much debate over Pluto's planetude... and yes, both sides present logical arguments. But the shocking(?) thing about this upcoming conference is that the scientists will be deciding on a definition of 'Planet' which would - in theory - settle the debate.

Marty

Pah, and there's me currently writing the plot of a game (Vampire/Mummy cross) set in 1930, where Pluto is discovered and is mistakingly claimed to be a planet, where in actual fact it's the 'Eye of Apophis', and denotes that his return is imminent (cue rituals, mummies and pulp adventures etc.).

Looks like I was on the ball :)

SquibblyDibbly

Isn't Pluto a dog ? :roll:

Plutodog.gif

Beyond02

Plutodog.gif

If Pluto is a dog, what the hell is Goofy?

jabonko

Goofy is an ineffable horror from beyond the stars. The black ichor of his ear-like flaps fills the night sky with terror and blocks out the light of the moon. His terrifying cry "yahoohoohooeeeeyy" echoes more chillingly in my veins than the eerie piping cry of "tekeli-li" of those Antarctic horrors which still haunt my dreams.

SkippyDude
Goofy is an ineffable horror from beyond the stars. The black ichor of his ear-like flaps fills the night sky with terror and blocks out the light of the moon. His terrifying cry "yahoohoohooeeeeyy" echoes more chillingly in my veins than the eerie piping cry of "tekeli-li" of those Antarctic horrors which still haunt my dreams.

Wow... :lol:

Seriously, I couldn't stop laughing for 3 or 4 minutes. Very awesome explanation!

SquibblyDibbly

Pluto is a planet again !

I heard it on the news today. Apparently the astronomers all got together in a big arena and sent forth their champions. There was a tremendous scrap and the winner declared that although Pluto was technically too small to be a planet it will still be referred to as such.

Pluto breathed a sigh of relief at such a close call, but was unavailable for comment.

PS

Astrologers also breathed a sigh of relief that they don't have to redo all their charts once again.

PPS

Mi-Go also breathed a sigh of relief as they'd hate to live somewhere as unfashionable as an asteroid.

PPPS

Just what the hell is Goofy ?

cynick

And Ceres gets an upgrade as well.

It makes very little difference IMO. Outside of the scientific community, most people are still going to think of nine planets.

jabonko
PPPS

Just what the hell is Goofy ?

I liked my answer just fine for that one...

But just in case... he's a Disney character and here's his 8x10 glossy...And I think he's supposed to be a dog, too. Albeit a very strange one.

goofy_portrait.jpg

Simstim

Surely someone out there has done a Disney/Cthulhu crossover?

ThothAmon

Unless I misunderstood the news footage, Pluto is now a member of a separate planetary class called Plutons, including Charon and Xena. Ceres is also to be reclassified as a planet. And they are looking at reclassifying Sedna too?

Mr_Lin

What about Uranus then?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I shall have to grow up one of these days...

SkippyDude
What about Uranus then?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I shall have to grow up one of these days...

Says who? :P

jabonko

I tried writing a CoC/Walt Disney World plot while I was on vacation there. Unfortunately I was too distracted to really make much progress.

Basically I asserted that the "magic" of Disney is some Outer Thing's influence over the area.

SquibblyDibbly

Hmm, I'm sure Xena was a warrior princess.

Why'd they name a planet after her ?

cynick
Hmm, I'm sure Xena was a warrior princess.

Why'd they name a planet after her ?

They haven't. It's only a nickname.

ThothAmon

Haven't you heard of The Cult of The Rat God for Delta Green :?:

It involves subtle corruption of children via cinematic reworking of myths, a dark avatar of Nyarlathotep, an undead high priest who has ruled from his frozen prison for 40 years and a stable of beautiful pre-teens who go on to become popstars and cult evangelists 8O

AkronTony

Well, the votes are in Pluto is no longer a planet. :(

Zharkow
Well, the votes are in Pluto is no longer a planet. :(

Crap, the Mi-Go are NOT going to be happy.

They are now officially living on a dwarf planet.

So, we're down to eight proper, honest to goodness planets. I can dig it.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, why is cr-ap censored with three '*''s instead of two?

SquibblyDibbly

cr***, the Mi-Go are NOT going to be happy.

They are now officially living on a dwarf planet.

Snow White and the Seven Mi-Go, I can just imagine it now......

"Hi ho,

buzz buzz,

hi ho,

buzz buzz,

its off to work we go,

to salvage brains and drive men insane,

hi ho, hi ho, hi ho, hi ho, buzz buzz... "

Nightbrother

How about the tenth planet, Xena? Is it now ninth, unless it was de-classed also?

Old news about Xena:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1560563.htm

Edit: Nevermind, I should read the thread properly first. ;) Xena is a dwarf-planet also, I read in a link from an earlier post.