Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brunshalthead

Cthulhu - vampires?

FunGuyfromYuggoth
As a final note, vampires + ghouls = endless fun. :wink:

The idea of the Y'golonace worshipping vamp is interesting and can be pursued very dilligently, as a vampire pursuing Mythos knowledge through Lilith.

The idea of ghouls and vampires could've worked under a strictly D&D sense of the undead, but in "Call of Cthulhu" the ghouls aren't undead per se. There is also the vexing issue of how ghouls would view the undead. One could make the argument that the idea of re-animated corpses would be an abomination to them. Of course, a sufficiently powerful vampire sorcerer (a certain Baron from the Classic era of published scenarios comes to mind) could force impose his will on an isolated colony of ghouls, and your mileage could vary!

Benny

I'm a bit reluctant of inserting vampires in any cthulhu scenario. I feel there isn't any mistery left about vampires... I mean, it's simply deja vu. :(

Bat7327
As a final note, vampires + ghouls = endless fun.

Just a thought - CoC ghouls could view vampires as their prey, as they feed on dead bodies anyway. This might lead to some interesting encounters - vampires feed on humans, then the ghouls attack and feed on the vampires. Has anyone tried anything like this?

Bats

PFP1962
Personally when I brougt Vampires into my game I drew them from Brian Lumley's Necroscope. Very monsterous vampires not Brad or Janet errr....Tom...

In anycase also one of the vampires ( Janos I belive in the Fourth Book) calls on Yog-sothoth in a spell. So I thought it was fitting.

Alien amorphous parasitic psychic shape shifting vampires; that can spawn vampirism infecting spores.

Has anyone written any rules (BRP or d20) for Lumley's vampires?

I agree that this is an excellent vampire template. The Blood Brothers trilogy is my favorite...

GreveMagnus
... here are two types of Filipino vampires:

Aswang - Also Asuwang. The Filipino version of a vampire. The aswang is a normal human by day, but by night, the aswang may choose to be a Western-style vampire or a wild, vicious animal.

Manananggal - A vampire which can divide itself by its waist. The body has bat-like wings which can detach from the waist, allowing the upper half to find its human victims, while the lower half remains immobile. The mananananggal is a normal person by day, but can become a blood-thirsty creature by night, with demonic facial features and ferocious-looking fangs.

Now this just begs the question: when are you and Dr_Zarnak gonna write your Secrets of the Phillippines monograph?

Now's the time --- the Far East is red-hot just now in Cthulhu gaming, what with Secrets of Japan and the Black Seal's Vietnam special coming up....

Hey, I'm only half kidding here. You write it, I'll buy it.... :)

Bardsandsages
I think a World of Darkness/Cthulhu crossover would be pretty cool. The characters would be WoD style Werewolves, Vampires, Demons, whatever, and they would find, much to their horror, that they are NOT the most evil and horrible things on the planet. What does an insane vampire look like? (Maybe he thinks he's still human...)

WOD has insane vampires. They're Malkavians. Though Cthulhu-esque critters may work in the new World of Darkness, they wouldn't be that big of a deal in the old world with all the wyrm-tainted monsters roaming around. Remember, part of the mystique of CoC is the shock of discovering supernatural beings. When you live in the darkness as a vampire and spend your time fighting werewolves and mages, mythos beings would just illicit a "What now?"

The_Usernameless_Horror

I have used a type of vampire in my campaign that is a human merged with a Star Vampire, in a ritual called 'Partaking of the Holy Spirit', and mixed this into a twisted Christian cult (called the Trinity Cult because they only had three members) who worship star vampires as a manifestation of God.

Metatron

Of course...its so clear now. When Joseph Curwen was brought back to life, he had to go around sucking blood. When he is de-resurrected, he turns back into dust. Those resurrected creatures which have shown up in scenarios have had some measure of regeneration. So...

Vampires are those who undergo resurrection, which if the the subject in question is a Mythos sorcerer would help explain some of the varied powers and weirdness, namely as being manifestations of spells known by the vampire in question. Arucard (certainly one of the freakiest vampires around, especially if you take a look in later volumes of the manga series) would be someone who extensively uses a variant of Body Warping, perhaps powered like the vampires in the Dark Ages book by draining the blood of his victims? The transformation might appeal to Mythos sorcerers as a way to gain an increased ability to cast spells. Just some idle 9 AM ramblings...what do you all think?

kipling

The other way you can go is that vampires are in some sense degenerate humans, descendants of sorcerors. (This has an appropriately HPL feel.) They're not undead, they're sick and twisted; and you load on the weaknesses and disadvantages so that a vampire is fearsome if it gets to pick the time and place of the encounter, and weak and ineffectual if the investigators get to pick.

In this view, vampires are basically the creatures from Unknown Armies, but even more restricted. They're humans, but usually mad; they need blood or huge quantities of raw liver to survive, they tend to be feeble minded and extremely sensitive to light. The smart investigator can take two or three feral vamps out with a sun lamp and a battery pack. (The smart vamp wears SPF 100 sunblock everywhere...) The whole lust for blood/lots of weaknesses is symbolic of how the sorceror ancestor shut off the sources of goodness and light to pursue dark power. So these vampires may be fast and strong, but they're also frequently unreasoning and extremely susceptible to sunlight, and get worse as they age. (This is rather like the vampires in Barbara Hambly's Those Who Hunt The Night, also.) They don't need to die to change; the newly-turned vampire is the one who still has some sense, and possibly even a shred of sanity; and the longer they survive, the more twisted and distorted they become, skin becoming translucent, fangs and animal senses becoming accentuated. They might have some kind of regenerative capacity, which would make them fearsome, but sunlight destroys them at something like (in d20) 1d10/level of the vampire. By level 10, they can't stand normal indoor lights of the 1920s, and by level 15, it's painful for them to be around fire.

Silver might affect them--or something that is essentially magical might affect them, too. After all, it's a curse on them, a curse without a cure, like being part Deep One.

DeepDagon
CoC ghouls could view vampires as their prey, as they feed on dead bodies anyway. This might lead to some interesting encounters - vampires feed on humans, then the ghouls attack and feed on the vampires. Has anyone tried anything like this?

I doubt it would work very effectively as Ghouls are scavengers and not really set up to go one on one with vampires. The only time the ghouls every really formed for warfare was when Randolph Carter organized them in the Dreamlands. They eat the dead but when the dead rise up in their midst they would most likely scatter until they felt sufficient in strength to return. More likely they would simply seek easier pickings elsewhere.

As for vampires, there are of course the Star Vampires as well as the Colours from Outer-Space whom also feed on life force. For more traditional vampires it is at the GM's discretion but if you want them to be more then just a occasional side adventure then I would go with a more mindless nosferatu type in looks. Otherwise if White WOlf vampires are what you really want then I would simply play WoD and put in a lot of tentacled bane beasties. The baddies in the Umbra are perfectly set for that type of play.

DeepDagon
I had one major problem - they all seamed to solve everything straight away, no matter how I planned it, even if I made it so it would take a few days to solve, they somehow found a way. For example; Cthulhu cultists are capturing young boys and sacrificing them, taking thier major organs. But it isnt actually Cthulhu cultists, it is crazed yog-sothoth followers, the only way of discovering this way to confront the Cthulhu cultists in a warehouse. So instead they go to the crime scene, roll a 20 on search check, find out where the yog-sothoth base is and kill them all.

My game emphasizes problem solving more then just rolling the dice to resolve the game, thus I make them actually puzzle out the clues. It's easy to roll a die and then have the GM tell them the answer but when they have to actually do it without the dice it definately takes more time and more sleuthing on the players part.

DestroyYouAlot
Personally when I brougt Vampires into my game I drew them from Brian Lumley's Necroscope.

I agree that this is an excellent vampire template. The Blood Brothers trilogy is my favorite...

I re-second that, Lumley's vamps would be/are the perfect flavor for CoC. They're even more awful and nasty then they appear on the surface, once you get to the "heart" of things... (Sorry, sorry. :roll: ) Not to mention you have psychics, secret agents, and a whole "alternate world" that co-exists with ours. Great stuff.

Frogbat

I actually did a WoD/CoC crossover campaign many years ago, but I based the WoD part on the Werewolf The Apocalypse rules. The baddies in it are soooo easy to adapt to being Mythos creatures and Pentex, along with the Black Spiral Dancers, are a ready-made cult/business. Mage The Ascension expasions filled out my campaign and the Umbra was a nice little window into the Dreamlands as well. I then threw my Wraith rulebook out the window.

banshee
OK, since I'm in a hurry I won't create stats for monsters here, but I want to suggest a special vampire, one that I'm going to use.

You may keep all the typical stuff (garlic, sunlight and the like) about your vampire. The difference here is that this blood-sucker is incorporeal. Yeap, incorporeal. But that's only its way to transport itself. The body remains buried within his tomb somewhere in the world (preferably in the same city where it hunts).

I think a good idea that when the blood is pouring from the body (out of the mouth for example) almost at the instant it turns into some kind of blood-colored "vapor" that enters into what should be the mouth of the incoporeal horror. :twisted:

I'd let the "bloodletting" itself become a sort of tubercolic cough... the drained blood creating a shadowy, very vague, representation of the vampire next to/crouched over the victim only to fade slowly.

After each feeding, the victim is left in a state of steadily worsening anemia (without any obvious cause)... ;)

SodaBob

My vampire rules were written with D&D in mind and based on the 3rd Ed D&D Vampire, but I think they could easily be used for CoC (just strip out the D&D specific stuff, where necessary/desired). They are written with a more tradition Bram Stoker vampire in mind, however, but that might be what some here might want (as a break from the flying polyps and cultists). Enjoy, and comments are welcome!

Nosferatu: Lords of the Night (d20 House Rules)

praetorian1974

Cthulhu International Netbook Volume 1: Vampires

Check it out at the Cthulhu International website

http://www.geocities.com/nicodemis_quick/ci/

I wrote this some years ago, and have seen revised it. I'll see about fixing the link with the new material for it.

FunGuyfromYuggoth
I doubt it would work very effectively as Ghouls are scavengers and not really set up to go one on one with vampires.

They would either fear them or hate them. At the very least, being an undead would be offensive to ghouls, but I imagine a sufficiently powerful vampire sorcerer (yes, I'm looking at you Baron H.) could bully any Mythos creature with the right combination of magic and force. As a general note, I seem to notice ghouls work a bit like a wolf pack. This generally puts the fear of ghouls into investigators.

salvagebar

SPOILER ALERT FOR HORROR ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS

The Comte d'Fenalique is a great vampire, in any milieu. I can't wait until the PCs run into him on the Orient Express. I expect a Total Party Kill at the hands of this *sshole.

justadame
I doubt it would work very effectively as Ghouls are scavengers and not really set up to go one on one with vampires.

They would either fear them or hate them. At the very least, being an undead would be offensive to ghouls, but I imagine a sufficiently powerful vampire sorcerer (yes, I'm looking at you Baron H.) could bully any Mythos creature with the right combination of magic and force. As a general note, I seem to notice ghouls work a bit like a wolf pack. This generally puts the fear of ghouls into investigators.

I always thought of Ghouls, as very self interested/mercenary creatures, who potentially, would do deals with Witches, Cultists, Players Characters (even), Evil NPC's, potentially anyone, IF there was something in it for them........

So, to me, the thought that Ghouls might co operate with a Vampire (especially a powerful Vampire) doesn't seem too odd.

Of course, it depends where the Vampire got it's Vampirisim from.

I don't remember the Call of Cthulhu Rules or Sourcebooks giving any definitive answer to this, leaving it up to the individual Keepers as to where their Vampires originate.

The Ghoul clans may have serious issues with certain types of Vampire, but not with others (if they can tell the difference !).

Of course, a Ghoul might be a type of Vampire itself, which might be a reason for hostility with other types of Vampire.

A big problem with this is that Vampires aren't strictly Cthulhu, but Joseph Curwen is hinted of as having Vampiric tendencies in the Case of Charles Dexter Ward, but if he is, he isn't a classic Dracula type......

If I were to run a vampire game I would aim for Hollywood Dracula type vampires (ala Fright Night) !

I love a good Cliche'!

justadame

Just a thought, but aren't Ghouls Undead ?

:?

Max Schreck

Depends. D&D ghouls are undead. HPL/CoC ghouls are not. The Arabian ghul from which Lovecraft derived his ghoul is some sort of demon or evil spirit, but not undead.

Max

justadame

Ah yes, they are down as a Lesser Independant Race, I wonder if they are the result of Mi-Go tampering with Human evolution............

:twisted: