Doomkoff

Yellow Dawn

DrVirgo

Hello All.

It's been a busy few months back at Yellow Dawn Central.

() Revised edition of Yellow Dawn rulebook released (2.1). Contains bug fixes. Original 2nd Edition is entirely compatible.

() Shadows of the Quantinex, a major campaign, completed 1 year of play testing. Now out of beta and 1st edition released.

() GM's Guide to NPCs taking Occult or Mythos Revenge on characters.

Plus some more PDF downloads for you to grab

() Recovered Relics - Collection #1.

() Morality, Anxiety, Depression, Stress, a personality filter system for the character's COOL score. Can be applied to CoC Sanity system.

() Orphic Scrutiny - a system for analysing occult and mythos artefacts, deconstructing their components, absorbing their POW. Can also be used to remove malevolent bonds placed on characters and NPCs by Sorcerers, Gods and artefacts.

http://www.davidjrodger.com/yellowdawn.htm

Dark dreams.

David

Krypter

This looks quite good, and I like your site design. Refreshingly colourful. I don't know if I have the money to buy your game at the moment, but I'll certainly be browsing through some of the free PDFs; there's quite a lot of cool stuff there.

Doctor_TOC

Full Disclosure: I'm a friend of the author. However, I've been a member of Yog-Sothoth for a couple of years, and he hasn't asked me to post this, so please don't start saying I'm a sock puppet or a shill, thanks.

I've been playing in a Yellow Dawn campaign run by the author for about 18 months now, and I have to say I'm having a lot of fun. The game system is clearly derived from BRP, but while it has been greatly expanded and amended to fit the setting it's still familiar enough that if you play CoC you'll have little difficulty with Yellow Dawn. In keeping with a lot of other post-apocalyptic gaming, the rules are detailed and intricate, which fits with the idea of struggling to survive in a harsh and uncaring universe - if the dice go against you, you're dead, just the way it should be in a Lovecraftian universe.

For most of the 18 months, we've been playtesting Shadows of the Quantinex, an epic, globe-spanning campaign in the vein of Masks of Nyarlathotep, which worked out very nicely and gave us a chance to really dig down into the how and why of the Yellow Dawn world. Since then we've been running a "back to basics" campaign, starting brand new characters in a brand new location, which has led to some genuinely chilling moments and quality scares.

I will say that overall, I'm not a fan of the kind of intricate rule system that Yellow Dawn employs - I'm far more of a "rules-lite" kind of guy. That said, the "rules for everything" approach allows the dice to represent cruel fate, which can really make you sweat in a tense moment, and the entertaining results have won me over.

If I've got any criticisms, it's in the layout of the book, and the fact that there's not an awful lot of Hastur in a book subtitled "The Age of Hastur". There's a lot more detail in Shadows of the Quantinex, but I think the core books needs a greater focus on the role of the Hastur Mythos in the Yellow Dawn world. Overall, I think the text needs re-arranging, as the background is currently served up in bite-sized chunks alongside the rules, and the book really needs an index. All these are actually fairly minor niggles, as it's a game with a strong concept that plays really well.

DrVirgo

Hi, just a quick polite note to let you know:

After two years of playing Yellow Dawn, I’ve now started writing the first novel for the Yellow Dawn series. It’s called Dog Eat Dog: a political / crime thriller with the same sub-strata of Mythos machinations as in my last novel, Edge.

I’m making the first few chapters available as I write them. You can grab the PDF here:

http://www.davidjrodger.com/DOG%20EAT%20DOG_sample_preview_new_novel_by_David_J_Rodger.pdf

Hope you enjoy them.

All the best

David

DrVirgo

Hi there

It’s been awhile (again). Thought I’d drop in and let you know what’s new in the world of Yellow Dawn.

Project Free Lite

I’m currently scoping and planning to write a free-to-download “lite†version of the primary rulebook. This is tying into a general update and refresh of the way the rules are currently organised. One gripe I’ve got at the moment is that the Yellow Dawn setting is too enmeshed in the system rules, making it difficult for somebody to come along and use the setting with their own game system, or Call of Cthulhu, which was always an original intention. You can follow progress with this project here: http://davidjrodger.wordpress.com/yellow-dawn-rpg/yellow-dawn-project-free-lite/

New fiction: Dog Eat Dog is born.

Post-apocalyptic thriller with zombies and a Cthulhu Mythos sting in the tail. DOG EAT DOG is my 5th novel but the first to be set within the world of Yellow Dawn. Press release here.

Dog%20Eat%20Dog%20-%20a%20post-apocalyptic%20thriller%20with%20zombies%20and%20cthulhu%20mythos.jpg

That's it for now.

Thanks to everyone who’s shown interest in Yellow Dawn. It’s been a great to receive such a response and makes the effort worthwhile.

Best wishes

David

DrVirgo

Hi folks
Some exciting news for me about "Yellow Dawn - The Age of Hastur". Thought I would share.

Bobby Derie has written some very nice words about my RPG in Issue 23 of The Unspeakable Oath.

Hopefully this is of interest and I don't sound like a spambot. I've come to realise I'm pretty rubbish at self-promoting; too much time producing content and not enough time shouting about it.  Time I changed that. If you'd be interested in helping me get the word out there I'd love to hear from you. Same if you have any questions about Yellow Dawn or the novels I've written set within that universe (Dog Eat Dog, The Black Lake).

Kind regards

David

Doctor_TOC

Very sorry to report that David J Rodger took his own life in November 2015. We (his friends and family) are currently hoping to complete the licensed update of the game to CoC 7th edition that David was working on in with Modiphius in the months before his death, and bring it out as a memorial to his work. Apologies for the delay in reporting this - it was a hell of a shock and we're all still struggling to deal with it.

Sincerely

Chris Halliday

christian

My condolences

Graham

My condolences also.

bastthecatgoddess

My Condolence x3.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account