Doomkoff

Yellow Dawn

Doomkoff

Has anybody tried Yellow Dawn? This is a new game that been created by David J Rodger. It's set in Year 2025 after a cataclysm, a post-apocalyptic setting. Think one part Mad Max, one part 28 Days Later, and one part Call of Cthulhu. Triggered by the break up of a returning prospecting spaceship, there has been a devastating unexplained plague, and while cities are largely taken over by the afflicted - 'zombies' - life in the countryside is better - but here technology is scarce and attitudes to law and order approach that of the old West. The 'old world' of hyper technology is still in existence, but largely cut off and out in the orbit stations. Slowly the truth dawns that a sinister new 'Age of Hastur' has arrived. Yellow Dawn is based on the basic BRP/ Call of Cthulhu system, and while different from the original and more expansive in many ways (combat, first contact etc) it has rules to cover almost every aspect of life in the post-apocalyptic world. How the players and referee want to play it is up to them. They can just survive on a day to day basis and try to set themselves up with a secure base and income (very hard to find), or embark on looking into the darker side of why the world has become what it is, and the direction in which it is going...

The link to Yellow Dawn is:

http://www.davidjrodger.com/yellowdawn.htm

AmesJainchill

Looks cool.

DrVirgo

Hi there. Just wanted to pop my head round the door and say thanks to everyone taking an interest in Yellow Dawn. And thanks for all the requests for a copy of the rules. I'm currently working towards producing a 2nd Edition, got a professional illustrator on board now. A lot of work ahead and I'd be very grateful to anybody play testing the first edition rules to let me know if they spot any errors, or have any suggestions for improvement. David J Rodger

**EDIT** 29th January 2008 ** EDIT***

Just a note to say, “I finished it. Yay!â€Â

Yellow Dawn 2nd Edition now available in print, through LULU.

http://www.lulu.com/content/923035

Only took me 2 years.

So please feel free to take a look. Feedback welcome. There’s some free scenarios to download (PDF) from the main site which will grow in number as time goes by.

I just want to say a huge thanks to everyone who sent in emails – support – suggestions.

Best Wishes for 2008

David J Rodger

##

QuentinTheTroll

Wow. I just read the first 15 pages... what an unbelievably holistic game: one that could potentially, and remarkably simply and believably, incorporate, explain, or tie together nearly every D&D, CoC, Paranoia, Homebrew, Car Wars, Warhammer, and Historic Campaign I have ever played in or hosted in the last 25 years.

No wonder they call it "The Game."

Mr_Tickle

I like the idea of Yellow Dawn- but I've only played 1920s Cthulhu before- how different are the rules?

Also, what inspired the writer to come up with this mix- it seems bizarre yet also strangely plausible (like most conspiracy theories! :wink: )

I heard that the writer of Yellow Dawn has done other stuff- what's that like?

Guest squashua

Notice: 1 post.

Signed up for the express purpose of letting us know about someone else's game. Not even giving us the decency of a few arbitrary posts in other threads to make it seem like he's not covertly advertising. :roll:

Of course, I've requested a copy. :wink:

DrVirgo

Signed up for the express purpose of letting us know about someone else's game. Not even giving us the decency of a few arbitrary posts in other threads to make it seem like he's not covertly advertising. :roll:

Hi, I think I might be responsible for this. I asked my friends to do whatever they could to spread the word and promote Yellow Dawn. Apologies for any trangressions. Mind you, nobody has owned up to being Doomkoff...

Best wishes, David

Guest squashua

There's totally nothing wrong with the action at all; I was just poking fun.

Ottomancer
Hi there. Just wanted to pop my head round the door and say thanks to everyone taking an interest in Yellow Dawn. And thanks for all the requests for a copy of the rules. I'm currently working towards producing a 2nd Edition, got a professional illustrator on board now. A lot of work ahead and I'd be very grateful to anybody play testing the first edition rules to let me know if they spot any errors, or have any suggestions for improvement. Best wishes. David J Rodger

Looks cool. I've requested my copy too.

:wink:

Skull

:( the postmaster

keeps on bouncing back my requests to davids email for a copy of

yellow dawn.if you are out there david and reading this ,could you email me a copy as this will mesh very nicely with my current coc/cyberpunk

game .thanks a bunch! :(

Guest squashua

You are probably spelling it incorrectly; I did the same thing.

In an effort to fight spam, try

davidjrodger

AT hotmail

DOT COM

GBSteve

Has anybody tried Yellow Dawn?

That sounds too much like "Have you seen the Yellow Sign" for my liking. I'm not sure that following the link is safe.

DrVirgo

Hi Jim

Sorry you've been having problems. I've just E-mailed a copy of the PDF to your 'ferret' email addy.

Sending thanks to Squashua :o)

Best wishes

Djr

DrVirgo

Yellow Dawn's had a major update. Now on version 1.20.

Changes include:

•Beefed up Mythos Majick

•Occult & Mythos artefacts

•Totally reorganised Character Creation rules - simpler to follow

•New character development system. Add on Hero Bonuses as your Rank goes up

•Improved Virtual Contacts system. Sell your stories and photos to the media.

•New Media Attention rules.

•System for running "Orcs" and Carbons as characters

•Numerous other tweaks and improvements.

Drop me a note if you'd like a free copy. David J Rodger (at) Hotmail (dot) com

Best wishes

Djr

DrVirgo

Hi, just a courtesy note to let you know about the forthcoming 2nd Edition of Yellow Dawn.

The 1st Edition was a successful proof-of-concept and the overwhelming interest and response gave me the confidence to push on with a polished version.

The 2nd Ed has indepth analysis of the zombie-pathogen; more Mythos, full integration of Mythos entities into the Yellow Dawn system, including combat on the physical plane; the character system is more much developed, with a blend of Nova Punk and rural character types provided as detailed suggestions; plus an improved structure for character development and advancement.

It'll be published and available in softback late Summer 2007.

See you all beyond the veil of spheres.

David Rodger

http://www.davidjrodger.com/yellowdawn.htm

beeber

anyone have links to the 1st ed. of this, or the like? the current YD link just has a countdown splash page, and i'd like a bit more info. . . :wink:

trevlix

beeber - PM me and I can help you out

Beyond00

Now this has me curious as well - did the project go belly up? Was it only a set of rules and source book or did it have a bunch of pre-written adventures? If it was only rules/source book, please let me know so I can go back to being oblivious of it.

Thanks,

Logan

Gaffer
anyone have links to the 1st ed. of this, or the like? the current YD link just has a countdown splash page, and i'd like a bit more info. . . :wink:

Looks like we have to wait another 33 days -- that's August 1 by my count.

DrVirgo

Hi

Sorry for a slow response, I've been laid out with man-flu...

Yellow Dawn is a stand alone role-playing game based on a fictional world I'll be using for my next tranche of novels.

Yellow Dawn is a blend of W.Gibson’s Cyberpunk and H.P.Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos in a post-apocalyptic setting.

I'm afraid the rulebook does only contain rules and background information... about 300+ pages of it... but there'll be a couple of start-up scenarios available to download as PDF's, for free, from the website when I go live. I'll add more as I find time to write them or submissions come in... but I've written YD with the idea that you can tweak just about any scenario from Chaosium (or others) to fit inside the YD world.

I'm aiming for 1st August for launch; I've had the proof copy from the publisher couple weeks back... looks good, but there's a few issues I need to sort out first so.... *grimaces*.... I might have to delay.

Meanwhile, if you're interested in an article about a novel with flavours of the Cthulhu Mythos, I've just scored some good publicity for my novel, GOD SEED here:

http://www.thewritingcentre.com/?p=716

The Writing Centre is for writers in the South West and Beyond.

Take a look and if you like what you read, please forward the link on to anyone you feel may be interested. I don't have a big corporate-funded marketting team behind me... there's just me pushing my book *smiles*

Peace

Djr

http://www.thewritingcentre.com/?p=716

Beyond00

More rules and source books? Ug. Let me know if/when mods/adventures get made.

DrVirgo

Yellow Dawn & GamesFest 3

I took Yellow Dawn (The Age of Hastur) to a sci-fi literature and gaming convention last weekend, just outside London. I'd been invited by the organisers to attend as one of the guests. The game was very well received.

You can see several pics of me (looking exhausted but happy) here:

http://www.davidjrodger.com/Assets/photogallery/yd_gamefest3/index.htm

I ran a number of 1 hour demos of "Dead City Runs" where the pre-gen group of fresh faced characters (new recruits for the CRC - City Recovery Corps) got chucked into their first mission: sneaking into an abandoned city, evading the "zombies"; setting up a secure perimeter; and scavenging for resources and artefacts that they could either sell or apply technical skills to build stuff.

The downside to my approach was that many punters began to think Yellow Dawn was just about zombies: which it isn't.

Games Workshop, Pinnacle Entertainment, and Wizards of the Coast were there along with many indis, and I had a lot of very positive feedback from people in the industry. I've also had invites to discuss retail options, so watch that space.

Finally, I've been busy play-testing a major campaign I've written for YD called "Shadows of the Quantinex". A beta version is available now; I'm aiming to have an official release of "Shadows..." in Summer 2009.

Thanks to everyone who's bought-into Yellow Dawn, especially the emails and feedback.

Best wishes

David

MrCarcosa

I have a question about the campaign. I'm thinking of buying the beta for the campaign, and I'm very interested in Hastur/The King in Yellow (the Chambers/Tynes approach to it). I've heard that the corebook for Yellow Dawn doesn't answer the fundamental questions surrounding the event that started the Yellow Dawn, and what Hastur's involvement is, exactly. To what extent does Shadows of the Quantinex address the King's part in the end of the world?

DrVirgo

Hi

Yes, I’ve stuck to the “official†version of events – about what caused Yellow Dawn to occur – within the core rulebook: it was caused by a cargo ship owned by SOYAR corporation, carrying dangerous biological compounds crashing into Earth’s atmosphere.

“Shadows of the Quantinex†allows the characters to discover the truth behind this event: the machinations of an individual obsessed with The King in Yellow, and his desire to “bring his God into this worldâ€Â. It also plunges the characters into a desperate race to stop the next catastrophe… a major conspiracy building up to deal another blow to humanity, except this time the King in Yellow has been usurped by a far more powerful Mythos entity, and the consequences will be far reaching (not just Earth).

As far as the involvement on the King in Yellow within Earth, in Yellow Dawn, the core rulebook only hints at his influence on the bloodlines of those who have been “Changed†by the pathogen (Orcs), and those who have been devolved into savage mindless and infectious creatures (Zombies). I am planning to release a bolt-on for the core rules, – as a free PDF – where the zombie concept evolves, they physically change, mutating into something more Mythos and monstrous. Ideally, the bolt-on concept can be repeated by other contributors with their own idea of how it should evolve. Changing the flavour of the Dead Cities and the Zombies within them, doesn’t affect the rest of the game world.

I’ll send you a PM in a moment to mention another point.

Kind regards

David

DrVirgo

Dead City Expansion Pack - Bile Weed

I've just released an expansion pack for Yellow Dawn.

It's designed specifically for Dead Zones and Dead Cities.

Yellow Dawn allows you to swap out zombies for new interesting threat(s). The “Bile Weed†is one of many possible ideas. It would be great to hear other suggestions from other players.

You can grab a copy of the PDF (0.8 MB) here:

http://www.davidjrodger.com/Yellow%20Dawn_Dead%20City%20Expansion_Bile%20Weed.pdf

Enjoy

David "thread killer" Rodger

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now