Sign in to follow this  
ParadoxHazard

Campaign Setting Ideas You'll Never Use.

Nero_Grimes

The Elizabethulhu movie list so far...

Sleepy Hollow - late in the era but still tons of fun.

Richard Lester's Three and Four Musketeers. Nothing supernatural, but I always recommend them as a rule.

And three by Errol Flynn - the gold standard of swashbuckling.

Captain Blood

The Sea Hawks

The Adventures of Don Juan.

Nothing supernatural, and they are high, free, and fancy with History, but good intrigue and loads of thrills.

The Name of the Rose. I wrote a mini adventure based on this. While undercover as Papist sympathizers, the group stumbles across a cult stronghold at the isolated abbey. The traditional caught between a rock and a hard place strategy.

Fallingtower

My Setting that failed:

I at one time actually was working on a Cthulhu setting based on French fur traders in the Michigan/Great Lakes region in the 1600's. I did quite a bit of work on it until it dawned on me, "Who the hell would want to play this anyway?"

Mysteries/Tales of the Necrotic Hand was what it was named at the time. (Something in French would've sounded better, I'm sure, but I don't speak French)

But, I stopped, the thrill of research and fleshing out was exhilarating while it lasted though.

I thought the concept was pretty cool...

The antagonist, a French Necromancer, had to flee France with all sorts of authorities wanting him burnt. He arrives in the Great Lakes region with a band of scum and villainy. He bends a few local tribes to his evil will, sets up a den of evil on a lightning blasted (uber high copper content) island, complete with standing stones and monoliths left over from prehuman times, there was also alot of other nasty stuff that got pushed up from the glacial depths...etc.

Was going to feature muskets, axe chopping, lot's of canoeing on storm tossed lakes...maybe a gigantic mutant beaver or killer fish.....never got that far.

Max_Writer
My Setting that failed:

I at one time actually was working on a Cthulhu setting based on French fur traders in the Michigan/Great Lakes region in the 1600's. I did quite a bit of work on it until it dawned on me, "Who the hell would want to play this anyway?"

Mysteries/Tales of the Necrotic Hand was what it was named at the time. (Something in French would've sounded better, I'm sure, but I don't speak French)

But, I stopped, the thrill of research and fleshing out was exhilarating while it lasted though.

I thought the concept was pretty cool...

The antagonist, a French Necromancer, had to flee France with all sorts of authorities wanting him burnt. He arrives in the Great Lakes region with a band of scum and villainy. He bends a few local tribes to his evil will, sets up a den of evil on a lightning blasted (uber high copper content) island, complete with standing stones and monoliths left over from prehuman times, there was also alot of other nasty stuff that got pushed up from the glacial depths...etc.

Was going to feature muskets, axe chopping, lot's of canoeing on storm tossed lakes...maybe a gigantic mutant beaver or killer fish.....never got that far.

I think you underestimate players - this sounds like a blast to me. In fact, any historic rpg is very appealing to me.

csmithadair
I think you underestimate players - this sounds like a blast to me. In fact, any historic rpg is very appealing to me.

It might be hard to publish and sell a campaign or setting based on this, but it seems perfectly fine to me as one to run and play, for a few sessions at least.

Kirit

I'm really not sure if I'll ever do anything with it, as it's unfinished and I don't have a group, but as of right now it fits the description.

The basic concept was inspired after watching Heathcliff and The Catillac Cats all night a week or two ago. Though with the Atomic Age book coming up, I might revive it. The basic idea was that the investigators were all cats in a 50's/80's hybrid world, with all their equipment based around what can be found in a junkyard. And from a stat-perspective tailfins actually do make cars go faster :P. The tone was a hard thing to nail. I wanted it to be lighter then many games, they were cats driving Cadillacs after all, but not as light as the inspiration, and actual Mythos entities would be played completely straight. Once Atomic Age comes out I might revive it, as well as a similar idea I had with human Greasers.

It was for a series of short stories, rather then a campaign, but I also had an alternate take on the Dreamlands I wanted to do something with. In it, basically each story would literally be a different dream and so have a totally different feel and genre. One might be a pulp adventure, the next a romantic comedy, etc. Likewise the characters would have the same traits, but how they show them would vary. Say one character is very uptight and by the book. In one he might be a humorous foil to the hero, in another he might be a strict cop trying to keep his reckless assistant (probably the same hero) under control, and in another he might be a dictator trying to keep the world in his perfect order, so that everyone would have a turn as both the heroes and villains. I never got off the ground with it, but it really did sound like a lot of fun if done right.

The_Tatterdemalion_King
It might be hard to publish and sell a campaign or setting based on this, but it seems perfectly fine to me as one to run and play, for a few sessions at least.

A campaign might be easier to sell than a setting, though.

Nero_Grimes
My Setting that failed:

If you enjoy it it doesn't matter. Gamers can be as stuck in the mud as any mundane.

I'm heavy into Elizabethulhu and can't get any traction with it. It's still a lot of fun.

I always felt that the problem began with Pius V's papal bull giving a clean slate Heaven hall pass to anyone who ganked Good Queen Bess. He issued the bull and set up the foundations for The Roman Inquisition as a dark weapon to crush the Protestants. The Inquisition had public show trials, but when they found real heretics or witches or sorcerers, they bound them to the service of the Pope's ""Obscura Martis". What the priests didn't know was that they imprisoned cultists among the mundane satanist rabble. So amid the usual Hell-rising, a much darker force was awoken. With the crack in the Veil the legend/lore dark creatures get a power boost.

Into this darkening world, Elizabeth's spy master, Walsingham, recruits the younger sons of the lesser nobility to travel Europe, gather intelligence, and establish communication networks in Catholic lands. This setting allows for Dr. John Dee head up the 'special branch' of Walsingham's secret service.

Fallingtower

Sadly I think I've watched too much Blackadder to not have Elizabethulhu devolve into some form of warped comedy.

Plus being a yank, my grasp of the period is sketchy at best.

Though a cult of inbred turnip worshippers does sound compelling.

StephanieMcAlea
Sadly I think I've watched too much Blackadder to not have Elizabethulhu devolve into some form of warped comedy.

Though a cult of inbred turnip worshippers does sound compelling.

Nursey seems the obvious hybrid in the group.

Tigger_MK4
Nursey seems the obvious hybrid in the group.

Or Edmund himself...."You have a deep ones mouth milord !"

Fallingtower

Blackadder...hum...more likely a devotee of Yig, rather than a blubbery Deep One methinks.

StuartB

Oh please, yes! Someone has to do Black Adderthulhu!

There's got to be a big enough audience for that one! :D

Nero_Grimes
In the Risus version of the game I gave points for BlackAdder references. If I'm going insane - I'm going laughing.

The starter overview is a page and a half. Me Yank too.

Though a cult of inbred turnip worshipers does sound compelling.
The Evil Giant Turnip That Looks Like A Thingy cult.

SunlessNick
Blackadder...hum...more likely a devotee of Yig, rather than a blubbery Deep One methinks. - Fallingtower
Although since the original planned on calling himself the Black Vegetable before Baldrick suggested Adder, perhaps he's a Shub-Niggurath cultist instead - or the lynchpin of a rivalry between two cults of these deities.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this