Sign in to follow this  
ParadoxHazard

Campaign Setting Ideas You'll Never Use.

rylehNC
Others which are still in my idea box include noir Los Angeles in the 1940s and 1950s, sort of the James Ellroy milieu.

I've run scenarios in this period for two years - great fun.

BMonroe

I wanted to run a bronze-age Irish game with the deep ones as Fomorians. Maybe some day I'll do it...

ninthcouncil
Babylon Burning: Call of Cthulhu 1977. "No future for me, no future for you".

"God save the queen, she ain't no human being!" :)

stepheno

It's an idea that gets better the more I think about it!

ninthcouncil

It's an idea that gets better the more I think about it!

The Bromley Contingent save the world! I am sooo playing in this if you ever run it!

theshoveller
A long time ago I proposed to the SA List a mini-campaign outline that was known as 'Eldritch Horror At Mallory Towers' ;)

Think of a girls' boarding school, creepy happenings, hockey sticks and school uniforms :twisted:

With Alistair Sim cross-dressing as headmistress, I assume, and George Cole meeting a ghastly end as a dodgy spiv. :lol: "The Hells of St. Trinians"?

I do genuinely intend to run this - I had the same idea about six months ago, as a prequel to my current campaign. My wife's character, the infamous Dame Ludmilla Tibshelf is crying out for a Young Indiana Jones style backstory.

Mr_Lin

1977 - Two sevens clash. Has apocalyptic significance in Rastafarian belief. Would suit a CoC game. Lot of punks into reggae of course.

stepheno

1977 - Two sevens clash. Has apocalyptic significance in Rastafarian belief. Would suit a CoC game. Lot of punks into reggae of course.

For inspiration there's also David Peace's novel Nineteen Seventy-Seven, which has an apocalyptic mood that's hard to beat.

Mr_Lin

For inspiration there's also David Peace's novel Nineteen Seventy-Seven, which has an apocalyptic mood that's hard to beat.

All of the Red Riding Quartet has a doom laden atmosphere and I've tried to reproduce some of that in my modern CoC campaign. I do find Peace's books incredibly frustrating plot wise though.

Nightbreed24

16th century Hungary during the time she was torn into 3 parts: Habsburg Hungary, Ottoman Hungary and the Pricipality of Transylvania. Lots of background resources ranging from literary fiction (Egri Csillagok or Eclipse of the Crescent Moon in English, one of the best books EVER IMO) to historical works. The scenario Return to the Monolith briefly mentions this era too. This was the time, when Ottoman soldiers managed to defeat the evil in Stregoicavar for a while, if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I couldn't resist. :oops:

synthboy

I have to say I keep looking at http://englishrussia.com and all their great pictures of abandoned Soviet bases and other assorted weirdness and thinking how great a Delta Green GRU-SV8 campaign would be.

FutureAmerican

A couple I had, and even wrote some notes for, but never used:

A futuristic post-apocalyptic campaign, in which the "stars had been right", and humanity lived in scattered pockets of villages, fighting over what little remains, and in constant threat of being destroyed at the whim of one of the Great Old Ones, or some lesser creature. Those who lived the "easiest" were major cultists who while they were not immune by any means to the effects of the return of the Great Old Ones, having a greater knowledge of them meant they were more likely to know wards/spells. They also used this knowledge to prey on their fellow humans for their own gain.

My idea, was to perhaps have the characters find some solution in which they could reverse the effects, or even go back in time to delay the return of the Great Old Ones. If that seemed too light, simply having them trying to survive as long as possible was an alternative. I guess the "ultra nice" version was that the characters had been chosen by the Elder Gods to be "chosen ones" to turn back the tide, but that seemed a little to nice for a lovecraftian universe.

The other one was for a London cops n robbers scenario, along the lines of "Lock Stock and two Smoking Barrels", but the problem was trying to figure out how to keep a serious tone, and not simply letting it turn into

a standard gangster adventure with some mythos thrown in.

Tigger_MK4

I sadly have loads.

The one I'm toying with at the moment is a multi-time period horror setting:

In an unnamed city somewhen/where (surrounded by radioactive desert) the last of mankind lives in victorian squalor beneath uneseen mysterious alien overlords who live in gleaming skyscrapers..

In the centre of the city is "the Shunt", a tower of immense size that occassionally sends light beams into the sky through the clouds. Rumour has it that its an escape from mankinds desperate existance - where agents of the Overlords travel to other dimensions to fight the followers of the Outer Ones across all of reality.

Some go out. Not all come back...and those that do come back are often...changed..

Basically an A/State + Cthulhu + Sliders + Dark city + Torg sort of mix with the occassional dose of Half-life 2....

Oor_Mate_Vlad

Call of Cthulhu meets Garth Marenghis Darkplace. Actually come to think of it that MIGHT be a really good idea...........

Nero_Grimes
The Enlightenment. Scientific rationalism versus cosmic weirdness, in frock coats.

EDIT - Always fancied spinning a campaign off from 'King of Shreds and Patches' or 'Garden of Earthly Delights'. Something to make use of the years I've spent studying the Renaissance anyway. Tragedy of blood, witchcraft and crazy, crazy scientific theories. Plus lots of duelling with rapiers... and pirates and John Dee writing his version of the Necronomicon and...

I think I should go and lie down.

After movie night with Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter and The Brotherhood of the Wolf, Elizabethan evil sounds cool.

The Elizabethulhu PDF at Evil Hat Games was more an Elizabethan take on 2nd ED AD&D than anything else, so I'm starting from scratch.

Is there a Mook/Minion list and/or a spell guideline? I was thinking of using Risus or PDQ# mechanics. Do Catholic/Christian rites and rituals have any effect on Cthulhu evil?

As a bonus, along with cultists, and the minions of Evil, there are papists plots against Good Queen Bess. Agents for Walsingham could be tasked by Dr. John Dee's 'side projects'.

Fort Grizzly
Pacific theater, WWII - The players are Allied marines rooting out Japanese resistance when they find a darker threat. Alternatively, I had thought of having the players be members of the Japanese forces and they discover a cannibal tribe of Mythos worshippers. French Indochina, any of the small island chains, or New Guinea would serve as the setting.

That is an AWESOME scenario idea!!! I am going to write something up tonight.

Grizzly

GreveMagnus

In an unnamed city somewhen/where (surrounded by radioactive desert) the last of mankind lives in victorian squalor beneath uneseen mysterious alien overlords who live in gleaming skyscrapers....

This bit sounds like an inversion of "The Shadow out of Time" - this time, mankind is the flying polyps.

TheIntiate

A campaign in Greenland. Cthulhu Mythos could fit there easily, with the peole believing there were supernatural gods under the sea (sounds familiar for some reason), it being near cold Artic circle, and the low as heck population density, it could be a real good horror campaign. However my inexperience in CoC ia kinda turning me away from that idea.

Drhoz
A campaign in Greenland. Cthulhu Mythos could fit there easily, with the peole believing there were supernatural gods under the sea (sounds familiar for some reason), it being near cold Artic circle, and the low as heck population density, it could be a real good horror campaign. However my inexperience in CoC ia kinda turning me away from that idea.

The original Call of Cthulhu story mentioned a cult up there, didn't it?

TheIntiate

Well I'm new to CoC so I guess so. But still a classical era campaign during that time would be awesome. Also during the Hyberborea Era would interesting as well.

OneoftheDeep

I've wanted to do a game set right after WW2. No later than the 60s. Essentially Delta Green, Pisces and GRU-SV18 agree to work secretly together in Germany to uncover any hidden traps, caches or experiments the Karotechia might have left behind. While the group works together of course, their superiors would have their own goals. So the question is, who are you loyal too? The people who you work side by side with, uncovering Nazi zombies and face-melting artifacts, or your country who want you to do their dirty work?

DrummerDave
I've wanted to do a game set right after WW2. No later than the 60s. Essentially Delta Green, Pisces and GRU-SV18 agree to work secretly together in Germany to uncover any hidden traps, caches or experiments the Karotechia might have left behind. While the group works together of course, their superiors would have their own goals. So the question is, who are you loyal too? The people who you work side by side with, uncovering Nazi zombies and face-melting artifacts, or your country who want you to do their dirty work?

Have you seen Cold City?

http://www.contestedground.co.uk/coldprev.htm

Cole

I'm getting ready to kickoff an Aces & Eights (Old West) campaign . . . but I'm using so many themes and scenario structure from Cthulhu games that I don't know what to call it. I guess it's Cthulhu . . . with a bunch of carnival games for combat resolution.

asnys

I always liked the idea of a one-shot where the players were sorcerers and cultists. But I could never figure out how to make it anything other than a power fantasy.

Krypter

I've always wanted to some sort of Virtual Reality Cthulhu game with non-Euclidian Manifold Paradox AIs, hackers plugging directly into the mystic server cores of Yog-Sothoth and anomalous self-replicating Shoggoth viruses ripping the neurons from hackers' brains while they infiltrate shadowy corporate databases linked to cyber-crime cults. Yeah, no chance of ever playing that really.

Cold City/Hot War are great too.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this