Sign in to follow this  
ParadoxHazard

Campaign Setting Ideas You'll Never Use.

QuentinTheTroll

A scenario that I could never get to work out on paper was one in which insects begin to behave very strangely in respect to the Investigators: some making odd clusters, others making persistent, suicidal attacks, others constructing bizarre earth mounds, etc. etc.

The more the investigators research into the behavior (assuming some sort of cultist insect experiments or something) the more baffled they become...

Until the big reveal: the insects are sentient, and through various forms of research and experience, have discovered the insect Mythos : namely, that the Investigators themselves may be great and malevolent cosmic gods.

This one is certainly a campaign-, and possibly a game-breaker, but sure would have been a fun way to wreck!

Modean
Until the big reveal: the insects are sentient, and through various forms of research and experience, have discovered the insect Mythos : namely, that the Investigators themselves may be great and malevolent cosmic gods.

This one is certainly a campaign-, and possibly a game-breaker, but sure would have been a fun way to wreck!

I really like this one. I'm going to have to look at incorporating this one into my CoC/DG Game. It's a generational campaign that started with the first set of PCs in the 1960's, now their children have taken up the fight in the 1980's, I can set this one for the final stage of the campaign in 2001-2002 time frame when I planned to end the campaign. This would be a nice twist, mankind become the Mythos equivalent of GOO to the Insect World.

Taharqa

While touring an exhibit on Darwin at the Museum of Natural History in NY, I thought of a really interesting campaign that I would love to run, but I will never have the time.

The PCs are members of a globe-spanning voyage of natural discovery launched shortly after the HMS Beagle. But of course, this mission will discover more than 30 different kinds of finches. It could even contribute another Mythos volume: The Journal and Remarks of the Voyage of the HMS Ilithia

banshee

Cthulhu: Ice Age... :?

GreveMagnus
As for 2007 and onwards I simply have no interest- Concepts like Cyber Cthulhu and Space Cthulhu seem weird enough without shoggoths and lunatics in purple robes.

My main problem with futuristic Cthulhu is that it tells the players that the End Times will not be happening for a long time yet, which takes the edge off modern-day games a bit. Unless your future campaign is set in a sort of post-End Times era, which seems like a bit of a contradiction in terms to me.

Having said that, I would still run Cthulhu games set in the future, I would just make it clear to the players that this is an 'alternate' future. The world could still end tomorrow....

GreveMagnus

I would like to use a scenario where all of the players are trapped in a lift or something similar but I can never quite get a decent plot out of it.

On similar lines, I've been playing around with the idea of a WWI scenario in which all the investigators are wounded soldiers in an army hospital, maybe with one or two nurses too. But it's a bit tricky trying to figure out how to create a fun game for badly-crippled or even bed-ridden investigators...

cjbowser

On similar lines, I've been playing around with the idea of a WWI scenario in which all the investigators are wounded soldiers in an army hospital, maybe with one or two nurses too. But it's a bit tricky trying to figure out how to create a fun game for badly-crippled or even bed-ridden investigators...

Some sort of morphine induced Dreamlands?

theshoveller

Might be a use for Insylum, mightn't it?

AmesJainchill

I would like to use a scenario where all of the players are trapped in a lift or something similar but I can never quite get a decent plot out of it.

Herbert West, Reanimator.

Or someone doing something similar with bodies or medical waste or something. I could see an interesting scenario that would be easy with able investigators and privacy but difficult otherwise...

Lammomedes

I am still tempted to try one day to run one of two possible eras...

1) Early Colonial America, perhaps between 1650-1690, ending with the Salem Witch Trials in 1692 as some sort of cult trial.

2) During the English Civil War, with players has either Parlimentarians or Royalists, looking for strange religious cults that have taken root in the soil of religious and political conflict. Though it might be more interesting to play during the Cromwellian Interregnum, with witchhunters, piracy in the Caribbean, a tyranny in the making, puritanical society changing social mores, etc.

::sigh:: One day....

banshee

Just do it... ;)

I've mentioned my 1699 Carribean Zombie Survival Campaign before - find or modify a suitable system, I basically used d20 Star Wars - and have fun!

- The characters rolled a lit overcharged sealed cannon down the ramp from the harbour fort into the mass of walking dead below... great fun and fireworks.

- They loaded a huge cannon with chain and fired it across the harbour at the square in front of the church, where other survivors had entrenched themselves... took the legs off quite a number of cadavers :)

- At the climactic struggle to escape, they discovered the one instance where a rapier is good against zombies - in the water! Puncture the stiffs and they sink... :D

If you feel like it, go ahead. Chances are your enthusiasm will infect your players as well :)

Marty
If you feel like it, go ahead. Chances are your enthusiasm will infect your players as well :)

This is sound advice - a friend of mine is about to run a 'Werewolves of the Caribbean' game. Werewolf: The Apocolypse mixed with Pirates of the Caribbean. We would all be crew of a ship, and the ship itself would be a caern (made by the 'Glasswalkers' (or whatever their equivalent is in that time) but stolen from them by a Get of Fenris pirate). I have NO idea what to expect from it, but hell, sounds like a good laugh to me :)

JoeAdams

To add my $0.02...

I've used Harn, a fantasy RPG setting that is more like 12th century England than Dark Ages. Not only is there plenty of material in print, there's also a very healthy fan base that produces their own locations and adventures.

Along the lines of "dreamed up but never used":

Pacific theater, WWII - The players are Allied marines rooting out Japanese resistance when they find a darker threat. Alternatively, I had thought of having the players be members of the Japanese forces and they discover a cannibal tribe of Mythos worshippers. French Indochina, any of the small island chains, or New Guinea would serve as the setting.

Paris during the Terror - The Scarlet Pimpernel investigates Mythos-worshipping nobles, cannibal revolutionaries, and Hastur visiting the degenerate.

Gotham - The Joker isn't crazy. He's working for the Man in Black. Superheroes and demon spawn.

Conquistadors - I've always been interested in the conquistadors and the Maya but I had some notes about Coronado and the tribes of the American Southwest. The Anasazi disappearance, legend of Cibola, kachina dolls...

Rev_Danno

Miskatonic class of '68

Lovecraft country in the late '60's.

Race-riots, protests, and such.

Students experimenting w/ drugs, religion, and 'new age' ideas.

Dr. West's notes resurface.

Asenath's pappy could still be moving from body to body.

Some of the alumni could be teaching, some of the old profs. may still be in town...(Dr. Warren, my friends and I wanted to know about what happened in Dunwich).

Housing devlopments being put up on the old Innsmouth site.

Students experimenting w/ "mind expantion" find they do not need an Ultra Violet projector.

Psychedelic rockband called Shoggoth that uses gibberish from some old books.

Nixon orders the National Guard to Arkham for what the media belives are 'only' student riots.

A local theater puts on a musical version of 'The king in Yellow' much in the style of Jesus Christ Superstar.

Etc....

Camillus

I've been playing around with the idea of a WWI scenario in which all the investigators are wounded soldiers in an army hospital, maybe with one or two nurses too. But it's a bit tricky trying to figure out how to create a fun game for badly-crippled or even bed-ridden investigators...

Watch Bubba Ho-Tep and see where things take you.

malcojones

US Civil War, 2nd battle of the Wilderness.

Is it just geography that makes the armies fight here, or something else?

We're talking disorientation, bodies left over from last time, sinister inbred locals and Confederate troops panicked into gunning down their own hero, Stonewall Jackson. General Ewell is never the same again either...

Probably the WW1 published scenario (the name of which I currently can't remember) would form a decent model.

Best, malcojones

massadar

The Unsinkable Titanic.

The year is 1912.

The Titanic goes on her maiden voyage across the Atlantic. Suddenly, Great Chtulhu rises out from a giant iceberg and karate-chops the oceanliner in half. Everyone dies. The end.

Barnabus

Paris during the Terror - The Scarlet Pimpernel investigates Mythos-worshipping nobles, cannibal revolutionaries, and Hastur visiting the degenerate.

This is one of my favorites as well - from court intrigue at Versailles to the bloody streets of Paris.

Others which are still in my idea box include noir Los Angeles in the 1940s and 1950s, sort of the James Ellroy milieu. For some reason I always liked the idea of having a game set in the days when Warner Brothers and Disney were really getting the animation game going in L.A., and having investigators up against living cartoons in the real world - sort of a darker Who Framed Roger Rabbit (I'll admit Christopher Lloyd at the end of that movie still freaks me out). There was a character in one of the GURPS supplements who was a cartoon come to life, and I think he killed people in cartoon ways - dropping safes and anvils on them, that sort of thing.

I also liked the idea of doing something in London during the Blitz, when families were living in the subway tunnels, until the new Doctor Who series came along and slam-dunked that milieu with one of their episodes.

Zombies of the Caribbean has a lot of possibility too - I'd highly recommend reading Tim Powers' "On Stranger Tides" to anyone interested in the genre.

ninthcouncil

I considered running something set in an English boarding school in 1940, after evacuation to The Countryside, with the characters as sixth formers (that's the most senior class, for you non-Brits). The empty, slightly creepy stately home to which they had relocated would yield a few secrets, and at least part of the plot would have revolved around preventing the increasingly peculiar music master mounting a production of Missa di Requiem per Shuggay with the school choral society. :twisted:

However, I also wanted to have a climactic If... style denoument with cadet force riflemen on the school roof.... Never got round to fleshing it out.

delrio

Horror on the Universe Express

A sort of world and dimension hopping excursion from Earth to Azathoth.

MarkRyan

I see the Conquistadors period was mentioned above.My group and I have had EXTENSIVE campaigning in this millieu and I strongly recommend it. Theres also enough info to get any Keeper started in the 'Cthuhlu and the Central american Mythos' essay that appeared in some of the earlier core rulebooks.

Lifts: I ran a short scenario set in a lift some years ago - the investigators were basically witnesses to a large unpleasent man with a pet pit bull making extremely improper advances to a quiet academic type lady.They tried sticking their noses in at which point the dog went for one of them and the guy produced a large knife. Seconds later when the young lady started to involuntarily change into a werewolf due to the stressful situation things got kind of out of hand..........the group don't use lifts any more.......

Hazi

After the players fumbled the end of Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, I was tempted to continue the story. Big C is released upon the earth and madness spreads everywhere. Churches burn and the amount of cultists skyrockets, nations battle in the clutches of paranoia. Deep Ones start expanding their territory, this time assuming a lordly role, openly accepting willing sacrifices and specimen for breeding experiments from the now-insane population. Serpent people, ghouls and other critters also emerge from their hideouts. Ghouls especially have a feast with more than enough dead lying around after the riots and wars that broke out.

And so on. I had the idea that the players (new ones, the original SoYS-team was driven completely bananas by Cthulhu) would be (for whatever reason) unaffected by the madness spread by the C-man, and they'd need to travel to R'lyeh and complete the spell that imprisons Cthulhu again. I figured the whole shabang might be a bit too much and ditched the idea.

// Hazi

ThothAmon
I considered running something set in an English boarding school in 1940, after evacuation to The Countryside, with the characters as sixth formers (that's the most senior class, for you non-Brits). The empty, slightly creepy stately home to which they had relocated would yield a few secrets, and at least part of the plot would have revolved around preventing the increasingly peculiar music master mounting a production of Missa di Requiem per Shuggay with the school choral society. :twisted:

However, I also wanted to have a climactic If... style denoument with cadet force riflemen on the school roof.... Never got round to fleshing it out.

A long time ago I proposed to the SA List a mini-campaign outline that was known as 'Eldritch Horror At Mallory Towers' ;)

Think of a girls' boarding school, creepy happenings, hockey sticks and school uniforms :twisted:

ninthcouncil
A long time ago I proposed to the SA List a mini-campaign outline that was known as 'Eldritch Horror At Mallory Towers' ;)

Think of a girls' boarding school, creepy happenings, hockey sticks and school uniforms :twisted:

With Alistair Sim cross-dressing as headmistress, I assume, and George Cole meeting a ghastly end as a dodgy spiv. :lol: "The Hells of St. Trinians"?

stepheno

Babylon Burning: Call of Cthulhu 1977. "No future for me, no future for you".

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this