Sign in to follow this  
ParadoxHazard

Campaign Setting Ideas You'll Never Use.

ParadoxHazard

Now, I don't know about you fellows, but everyone in a while I'll get the idea for a campaign setting that I instantly fall in love with. I'll think about it for a few days before coming to the conclusion that my players will never play it. C'est la vive. Here are a few of mine aborted settings ideas:

The Hood: Set in the early nineties, the players play members of one of the many gangs of south central L.A. Dealing with drugs, crime, poverty, and the brutal world they were born into, they suddenly find themselves embroiled in a new sort of gang way. This gang doesn’t recruit in the old ways. No, they're using some sort of religion to take in new members. They call themselves the Esoteric Order Of Dagon.

Meeting by pools, taking new recruits out to the ocean for some sort of initiation, taking what they want with no signs of violence... It becomes quite clear that the investigators need to discover what going on or become just another missing person when the Order comes calling.

The Night Stalkers: A direct spin-off of the original Night Stalker movies and television show. They investigators play INS reporters on the trail of Carl Kolchak. Kolchak disappeared months ago, leaving nothing but his files behind. The files, the Kolchak Papers, reveal that he was on to something a bit more stunning and spectacular that his usual reports.

andyj23uk

The Hood: Set in the early nineties, the players play members of one of the many gangs of south central L.A. Dealing with drugs, crime, poverty, and the brutal world they were born into, they suddenly find themselves embroiled in a new sort of gang way. This gang doesn’t recruit in the old ways. No, they're using some sort of religion to take in new members. They call themselves the Esoteric Order Of Dagon.

Meeting by pools, taking new recruits out to the ocean for some sort of initiation, taking what they want with no signs of violence... It becomes quite clear that the investigators need to discover what going on or become just another missing person when the Order comes calling.

the old shadow run campaign pack " the universal brotherhod " explored quite similar themes -- and was by far the best shadowrun product ever , a shining beacon amongst the dross :P

its out of print now -- but if you can find a second hand copy -- it has ons of ideas you can borrow .

Aquilia

The Napoleonic Wars: set during the nap wars clearly, with the PC's being memebers of some advance guard unit or intelligence force and they find something at an abandoned camp and ned to hunt/destroy/stop the ceremony.

Not brilliant but I like the idea of flintlock based mythos hunting and Sharpe meets Cthulhu. could possibly work as a one-off. ill see what i can write up then get it on here.

Aurelius
Not brilliant but I like the idea of flintlock based mythos hunting and Sharpe meets Cthulhu. could possibly work as a one-off. ill see what i can write up then get it on here.

That's tormenting me now - I'm sure somewhere I recall seeing mention of a Cthulhu scenario set on the Barbary Coast, around the time of the American expeditions there against the pirates, but the brain cells holding that information (or maybe imagining it!) are not active. Anyone able to confirm it exists, or maybe confirm I need to get more sleep and stop imagining things.....

kilgore

Nazi Germany 1933-1939

lots of occult potential, but I am never going to get around to use it. I've already got to much going on.

cjbowser

A Chaosium monograph has a scenario where the investigators are gangsters in South Central. The PCs themselves aren't cultists, but suffice it say, a new sound has taken over the streets.

The Napoleonic Wars: set during the nap wars clearly, with the PC's being memebers of some advance guard unit or intelligence force and they find something at an abandoned camp and ned to hunt/destroy/stop the ceremony.

I always thought this would be an interesting period to at least run a one-off.

To add to the list of shoulda, coulda, woulda, I've always wanted to use John Carter's Mars I've read all the ERB books, the CAS Vulthoom stuff and the Polyhedron article, but I've never been able to convince my players to go along. I've even considered a Gaslight campaign that involves a gate spell that takes the intrepid heroes to Mars. There's always CoC War of the Worlds, but that's not quite what I'm looking for. Cthulhu 1889 is a good start, though.

Mr_Lin
Nazi Germany 1933-1939

lots of occult potential, but I am never going to get around to use it. I've already got to much going on.

Have you read Phillip Kerr's Bernie Gunther private-eye-in-Nazi Germany novels? I think they'd be ideal inspiration for this.

Dzan

I always wanted to set up a scenario during the French and Indian war. Set deep in the forests of NY state or PA, the players are colonists working on behalf of the Brits to seek out a new and extremely savage tribe of Iroquois Indians.

The Indians of course have been praying to and getting aid from shub niggurath or yog-sothoth...

Pookie

the old shadow run campaign pack " the universal brotherhod " explored quite similar themes -- and was by far the best shadowrun product ever , a shining beacon amongst the dross :P

its out of print now -- but if you can find a second hand copy -- it has ons of ideas you can borrow .

In a similar fashion is Wyrd is Bond, a roleplaying game written by the creator of Little Fears. It explores inner city life in which gangstas have found their "wyrd" and can employ magic. The game is pleasingly simple and direct, and is in print.

Talionis

Space (variation on the End Times scenario), Victorian (not enough interest), WW1 (variation on No Mans Land), or WW2 (many possibilities here but...), Dreamlands (ran variation on Dreaming Stone and my own adventure but neither seemed to really "click" with the players so won't be going there again soon.

ParadoxHazard

In a similar fashion is Wyrd is Bond, a roleplaying game written by the creator of Little Fears. It explores inner city life in which gangstas have found their "wyrd" and can employ magic. The game is pleasingly simple and direct, and is in print.

I always wanted to get Wyrd Is Bond but never went through with the purchase. :lol:

CAThompson

Three Kingdoms China. You have a 40 year civil war, the mythos is easily inserted (some of the Taoist stuff from Cthulhu Japan as well).

ThothAmon

Golden Age Of Piracy - Circa 1715 set in and around the Caribbean. Very topical at the moment ;)

Land Of The Young - Tir Nan Og, pretty much lifted wholesale from the pages of 2000 AD. Done in a Robert L Howard Mythos stylee.

Middle Kingdom China - As described in the superb tales of Master Li and Number Ten Ox by Barry Hughart.

Horror Of Sherwood - Set in N.E. England circa 1250. Norman incomers are being subjected to attacks by Anglo Saxon outlaws. Something ominous stirs in the woods.

golfsale

Mid to late nineteenth century Paris. Baudelaire, Huysmans, Eliphas Levi, absinthe, syphilis and the odd revolution or two.

theshoveller

The Enlightenment. Scientific rationalism versus cosmic weirdness, in frock coats.

EDIT - Always fancied spinning a campaign off from 'King of Shreds and Patches' or 'Garden of Earthly Delights'. Something to make use of the years I've spent studying the Renaissance anyway. Tragedy of blood, witchcraft and crazy, crazy scientific theories. Plus lots of duelling with rapiers... and pirates and John Dee writing his version of the Necronomicon and...

I think I should go and lie down.

Lanesracra

Raiders of The Lost Ark That Actually Is A Prison Of A Mythos God.

Bruinsfan
Raiders of The Lost Ark That Actually Is A Prison Of A Mythos God.

Other than the survival of Ford's and Karen Allen's characters, I'm not sure how that would differ from the actual film. I mean, when the Nazis cracked open the ark it electrocuted half a panzer division, released a swarm of face-melting spectres, and blasted the guy doing the opening into ash. That version of Yahweh would probably be comfortable having poker night with Yog-Sothoth and Cthulhu.

rylehNC
I always wanted to set up a scenario during the French and Indian war. Set deep in the forests of NY state or PA, the players are colonists working on behalf of the Brits to seek out a new and extremely savage tribe of Iroquois Indians.

The Indians of course have been praying to and getting aid from shub niggurath or yog-sothoth...

I'm in an excellent game set in Massachusetts during King Phillip's War over at EN World. It's a good example of both CoC and pbp, actually.

TheKingInYellow

As for as scenarios I would never use- Anything before 1600 and anything after the present. Even before 1900 is sketchy with me- Lovecraft's 1920s and 30s are far enough removed from the world I know of the 21st century to keep me from losing a sense of reality. If I can't craft a believable setting, then the Mythos seems to lose its edge. As for 2007 and onwards I simply have no interest- Concepts like Cyber Cthulhu and Space Cthulhu seem weird enough without shoggoths and lunatics in purple robes.

As for settings I'd like to use but will never get around too- Delta Green, unfortunately :(

Gaffer

shoveller --

I recommend "The Dragon Waiting" by John M. Ford for an alternate Renaissance novel.

Laraqua

I always wondered why in Raiders of the Lost Ark the ark tore everyone apart. Especially considering that the heroes only lived because they didn't look... Sounds more like a trap then a sacred relic.

As for settings I'd never use ... I'd love to use a modern local campaign set where I live in the time I live, only with an apocalypse just around the corner.

Gaffer

The Ark of the Covenant wasn't just a reliquary for the tablets, but also a weapon the Israelites used against their enemies, striking down armies with chain lightning. Or something like that.

Mr_Lin

As for settings I'd never use ... I'd love to use a modern local campaign set where I live in the time I live, only with an apocalypse just around the corner.

I sort of do that that in my campaign. It's mostly set in Ramsey Campbell's Severn Valley but I've started using real places I've been to. Last adventure the investigators found something nasty on a farm outside the S.Cotswolds village of Bisley. They're off to the Forest of Dean next time. Much scarier than Goatswood.

As to settings I'd like to use but probably never will: The dark future of Cthulhu Rising, and the old White Dwarf scenario The Last Log. Maybe also WW2.

SteveTaylor

Slight thread derailment

I always wondered why in Raiders of the Lost Ark the ark tore everyone apart. Especially considering that the heroes only lived because they didn't look... Sounds more like a trap then a sacred relic.

I always thought it was one of the fake arks that they mentioned near the beginning of the film but my wife (an avid fan) told me that it was because they were trying to use the power of God for 'evil' (including persecution of the Jews) and God's power is granted, not taken. So in retalition for their disrespect and questionable motives it struck them all down.

Another example she gives to support her opinion is earlier in the film where the ark burns the swastika that was draped over it.

The heroes were allowed to live because they were not involved and had the respect to avert their eyes.

Thread re-railed again

I would like to use a scenario where all of the players are trapped in a lift or something similar but I can never quite get a decent plot out of it.

Marty
I always thought it was one of the fake arks that they mentioned near the beginning of the film but my wife (an avid fan) told me that it was because they were trying to use the power of God for 'evil' (including persecution of the Jews) and God's power is granted, not taken. So in retalition for their disrespect and questionable motives it struck them all down.

Another example she gives to support her opinion is earlier in the film where the ark burns the swastika that was draped over it.

The heroes were allowed to live because they were not involved and had the respect to avert their eyes.

Thread re-railed again

<wild applause> Excellent reasoning dude. I buy it. Give yer misses a pat on the back :)

I would like to use a scenario where all of the players are trapped in a lift or something similar but I can never quite get a decent plot out of it.

Err, I read one recently, its an official one too....

<dashes away>

*hope this works*

Its called INFEST

Read a thread regarding props etc on this very site and someone had produced downloadable sound effects to accompany this. Pretty cool.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this