Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

supreme_martian_overlord

How spooky and mythosy is it where you live?

QuentinTheTroll

I live in Iowa. We have KFC famous bowls everywhere! Spooky!

Kinghonkey
Did you go to NMU in Marquette? I had a room-mate in grad school who went there for his B.A. degree.

Yes, yes I did, for two years until I transfered to M.S.U. to finish my B.A..

Quiller

North Lincolnshire. Away from the Humber and Chemical plants we have rolling hills, pockets of woodland, derelict barns and isolated farmhouses. In the evenings when the mist hangs low over the fields, and the lines of trees are just varying degrees of shadow, all we lack really are the Whipporwills.

Only a few miles from here is an ancient abbey where, in the late 1800s, some workmen discovered a walled-up doorway, beyond which was an austere room complete with a cassock-clad skeleton.

And beyond that, out in the Humber - within the sweep of Spurn point - is the site of ancient Ravenserod. This was an island that reared itself out of the humber, was built upon and became home to a thriving community for 300 years, until, over the space of 30 years, it crumbled and sank beneath the waves once again.

There, plenty of scope for a couple of scenarios. And that's without the many deserted (and reputedly haunted) WW2 airbases.

Tsepesh

Well if I can think of anything here in the twin cities that best fits the mythos, it would have to be the extensive sandstone caves along the Mississippi in Minneapolis and St. Paul. The caves have an interesting history that includes Dakota legends, Gangland hideouts including a speak-easy, murders, kidnappings and of-course hauntings.

Also, even today only a few of the caves along the east and west banks have ever been surveyed officially. Unofficially, area teens, squatters and runaway youth have used the caves extensively and there has been a few known deaths that have taken place do to cave-ins and murder.

The Carver's Cave for instance has an interesting history with a lot of room for Mythos inspiration.

http//www.fromsitetostory.org/sources/papers/carerscave/carverscave.asp

WinstonP

Also, even today only a few of the caves along the east and west banks have ever been surveyed officially. Unofficially, area teens, squatters and runaway youth have used the caves extensively and there has been a few known deaths that have taken place due to cave-ins and murder.

One cave was taken over by an odd cult called, IIRC, "The Jae-Seas" for the purpose of scaring people and taking their money. :wink:

Matthulhu
North Lincolnshire. Away from the Humber and Chemical plants we have rolling hills, pockets of woodland, derelict barns and isolated farmhouses. In the evenings when the mist hangs low over the fields, and the lines of trees are just varying degrees of shadow, all we lack really are the Whipporwills.

Only a few miles from here is an ancient abbey where, in the late 1800s, some workmen discovered a walled-up doorway, beyond which was an austere room complete with a cassock-clad skeleton.

And beyond that, out in the Humber - within the sweep of Spurn point - is the site of ancient Ravenserod. This was an island that reared itself out of the humber, was built upon and became home to a thriving community for 300 years, until, over the space of 30 years, it crumbled and sank beneath the waves once again.

There, plenty of scope for a couple of scenarios. And that's without the many deserted (and reputedly haunted) WW2 airbases.

Wow, this sounds like an awesome place. If I could ever visit any othe country in the world, it would be England, hands down. The closest I've ever been is the England section of Epcot in Disney World. I wish we had castles and stuff like that here in America.

MrNorrell

Tsepesh wrote:

Well if I can think of anything here in the twin cities that best fits the mythos, it would have to be the extensive sandstone caves along the Mississippi in Minneapolis and St. Paul. The caves have an interesting history that includes Dakota legends, Gangland hideouts including a speak-easy, murders, kidnappings and of-course hauntings.

Because of these extensive natural and man made caves that pretty much honeycomb the earth underneath Minneapolis and Saint Paul, the Twin Cities are known as among the top draws in Urban Explorer circles. Some very interesting places in the area are recorded by the Action Squad group of explorers, who have very entertaining stories of their exploits in the Twin Cities, available at http://www.actionsquad.org. Also, a very interesting documentary is being made as well; http://www.urbanexplorersfilm.com/.

I saw its special screening at the Mill City Museum, and felt it really tackled the subject well.

Also, LLewellyn Worldwide, I believe the worlds largest new age and occult book publisher (who also published the book Necronomicon: The Wanderings of Alhazred) are based in Saint Paul.

I think that there is more spooky stuff in the Twin Cities then might commonly be suspected.

NullandVoid
Apparently Ohio is one of the major "hot spots" for Bigfoot sightings. Even more spooky is that the county I live in has more Bigfoot sightings than any other in the state.

Check the link below...

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_county_reports.asp?state=oh&county=Portage

Yeah, I'm one county over, in Summit. I live across the street from a gorge where there was a bigfoot sighting some time ago. On top of that, the Gorge metro-park has some very strange stories associated with it, with sightings of gargoyle-like creatures and something that is described as a 'pteradactyl'.

There are HUGE numbers of stories here in NE Ohio... I posted the story of Rogue's Hollow here a few weeks back... a location known for hauntings, sightings of the Devil, and a series of abrupt abandonements and resettlings, and hints of something very dark about the area.

Up on the Lake Erie Islands, there is a story of some stone quarry workers that had been killed while digging stone out from under the lake. The spirits of these men supposedly sink boats and drag the crews under... some as recently as the 1970s claiming that they felt bony claw-like hands grasping at their legs after their boat overturned.

This doesn't touch of our own lake monster, known as South Bay Bessie...

There is a great history of weirdness in Cleveland, that ranges from the infamous 'Torso Killer' in the 1940s to the bizarre hauntings and discoveries at the 'Franklin Castle' house. Not only are there hauntings associated with it, there is also a history of murders and suicides, Nazi spy rings, and... I can vouch for this one, becauseI remember when it was discovered... a secret room filled with very old infant bones.

Plus, Cleveland just *looks* spooky... all the buildings are brooding stone things, and its surrounded by old industrial sites. There's one bridge that has these looming stone statues at either end, staring down at people crossing.

There's just so much here that is odd and spooky, I could go on forever about it.

Mike_N

Not that Mythos-y where I live (Tallaght) but we do get a mention in "The Moon Bog" story by HPL as the 'plague grave' of the Partholonians from the 'Book of Invasions' (a collection of poems & prose about mythical pre-Christian Ireland).

ManaUser

I think Southern California must be one of the least Mythosy places there is. :( Mostly because everything is too new, I suppose.

Nightbrother

Well, the region of Denmark in which I live is not very mythosy. There are several parks and many older houses, but neither have a particularly spooky feel to them. The city itself, Horsens is it's name, has for many years had a reputation for being a prison-town, due to it housing one of the toughest, and largest I think, prisons in Denmark, but overall there aren't really a higher number of tough parts of town than there would be in any town the size of Horsens, meaning that there are few, if any at all.

Just outside Horsens are the highest points of elevation in Denmark. They are all so comparatively low that I won't bother mentioning their elevation. All of them are old.... what do you call them.... graves dug in the soil, like burial mounds, I guess they are called.

In my childhood the nearest thing we had to a spooky place was an elevated group of trees about 8 miles outside town. It was, and still is, a rather remote place, there only being 1 house near-by. The group of trees stands not far from an old forest that tilts down into a valley. That place was ****-scary at the age of 20, and we often went there on Cthulhu-nights, taking some fresh air, then afterwards playing on into the night.

Ah, one tale does spring to mind. One of the people with which we play Call of Cthulhu has parents that used to own a house near that patch of trees I just spoke of. An old, well-kept, thatched cottage that was perfect for CoC'ing. The whole area was riddled with the deaths of people though. I do not remember many of them, but a family who lived next door in the 70's had suffered a terrible tragedy. The husband and father had, IIRC, killed his children and his wife, then he'd hung himself. There were other such tales in that area. Naturally, this threw a blanket of semi-welcome discomfort over all our games in that house, and my GM, who has a master degree in philosophy, and is very sceptical, heathily so, of anything paranormal had experienced some things in that house, that he described as 'rather odd' and 'freaky'. A wonderful setting sadly not available to our group anymore.

In order to experience a bit of landscape and natural 'magic', you'd have to go to Rold Forest, the biggest forest in all of Denmark, and that ain't really saying too much. ;) That place has all you could want in term of history, as far as thieving, highwaymen, murders and so forth. These days, it's just a fantastic way to spend days outdoors. Truly one of the last places in Denmark where one could wander off without a map and actually get lost, though probably not for too long. Several benign witches, if you catch my meaning, house themselves near that area also, and my girlfriend and I have frequently seen the most famous witch of Danish witches. She calls a certain part of the forest her spiritual home, and can be seen there quite often, clad in black, sporting a funny little hat, collecting herbs and mushrooms. Most of the time, she tries to avoid the public though.

However, my own home town suffers from a rather distinct lack of creepy places, or perhaps I am just too jolly of mind to pay attention. ;)

Stormcrow

Hey as far as California is concerned look underneath. New means it was built over things. Old Mexican/Spanish churches and graveyards abound. Indian burial grounds. Not just that but seismic activity which can only means Cthonians! All this San Andreas stuff has got to be just a convenient excuse. Gated communities are prime cult ground just refer yourself to the episode of the X-files where a monster was kept appeased by the neatness and conformity of the grounds ensuring the prosperity of all its occupants. When someone stepped out of line they just wrecked the light at the end of the path summoning a vengeful beast forth to take payment for the offence.

California is not new it has always been there and we are talking about Great Old Ones. Also California is almost perfect for Serpent folk just the right climate!

I have always found carbon copy conformist Suburbias and Gated comunities a terrifying idea. All that monotony and conformity dulling the senses. Zombietowns of apathy.

Don't forget there is a good portion of sea going coast line as well!

As for Denmark.Well its surrounded by sea and there are those burial mounds. I am sure there is a whole host of Danish folklore to delve into. Japan doesn't seem to be the worlds most mythosy place on the surface but it has a rich demonic history. The creator of the Ring series (original Japanese version) in his direction of that series injected fear into an almost clinical Japanese landscape. Bleached of colour and drained the almost normal backdrop only made the scare more surreal. It juxtaposed the normal and abnormal with eerie effect. Now switch that to urban Denmark and fairly rural Odense and you have building blocks.

Steven King made his bread by setting his stories in Sleepy Maine which is the same stomping ground as Lovecraft. Most of his stories are set in pretty normal sleepy locales but there is always a twist. Look around and see how you can twist the normal.

For example. Sheffield has had perpetual traffic problems since 1931. Why? When plans have gone forward they often get turned down. Chaos rules on the roads so what if the traffic planning department was infiltrated by cultists? Is there more to the road layout than meets the eye?

When they built the Ladybower Dam they controversially sunk two villages? The villages are still there under water. Was it the work of inland Deep one Hybrids hidden in the woodwork?

I live almost in the heart of Sheffield but my house used to be on the border of Derbyshire. Before that the Meersbrook used to run at the bottom of my garden and that was the boundary of Northumbria and Mercia in Dark Ages times.

Under the surface the world is very Mythosy you just have to know what onion layer to peel!

trevlix

I live in Ohio as well (there are alot of us on these boards for some reason). There are a multitude of Haunted Ohio books around which details the various occult and supernatural sighting from around the state. Its hard to list them all, but some of the ones that come to mind are:

Serpent Mounds

Cleveland Torso Murders

Gore Orphanage

Loveland Frog

The list goes on and on. As blackstone put it as well, there are a large number of Bigfoot sightings in Ohio too.

deuce
I currently live in Walthamstow, which has some promise (peculiar evangelist churches, old marshland, a general air of decay) but nothing I can yet put my finger on. But Folkestone, where I lived before coming to London, is the real deal - a decaying seaside town with a reputation for insularity, some nicely spooky Victorian buildings in dramatic cliffside locations, and an active occult community. The neighbouring Romney Marsh is even more so. Some years ago I canvassed the marsh village of Lydd during a general election.... 8O Innsmouth lives!

The original, drowned town of Dunwich is in your area, also, isn't it?

Tsepesh

Also, LLewellyn Worldwide, I believe the worlds largest new age and occult book publisher (who also published the book Necronomicon: The Wanderings of Alhazred) are based in Saint Paul.

I think that there is more spooky stuff in the Twin Cities then might commonly be suspected.

Huh, I looked it up and you are right about Llewellyn Worldwide at one time being based in St. Paul, now it's in Woodbury. Since I am studying the Twin Cities history at the moment I think I may also try to find any history related directly to the occult in the area. Who knows, I might find something interesting.

moonbeast

How weird is it where you live?

Hmmm. Rich upper middle-class white "bored latchkey teens" being recruited by the local chapter of the Aryan Brotherhood and the pro-Nazi Skinhead hate-groups. Occasional race-related brawls between the whites and Hispanics in high school or the local mall. Spoiled rich kids, where most girls expect to get their first cellular phone by the age of 11! Frequent campaign rallies by right-wing Republican politicians with an occasional visits by right-wing celebrities like Anne Coulter and Rush Limbaugh. Once in a while there's news of the homes of resident Jews and black minorities being the target of Skinhead attacks or vandalism. Tons of attractive youthful female schoolteachers who have a penchant for molesting and sleeping with their far-younger male students. It all happens here!

I'd say I grew up in a very frightening place! Don't you agree this is scary?

MikeC

Well, now, let's see:

I was born in Elizabeth, NJ, which was a town that Lovecraft

visited frequently while he lived in New York City (it was only

a short ferry ride away), and served as one of his inspirations

for THE SHUNNED HOUSE.

I spent most of my early life near New Brunswick, NJ, and

attended Rutgers University, where I found out all sorts of

interesting tidbits about the town: there was an open pit

copper mine under what is now a dorm. They periodically

find indian burial mounds whenever they expand a highway

overpass or corporate headquarters. There is a network

of disused coal tunnels beneath the city, and in one there

is an inscription on the wall that no one has ever been able

to decipher (got that bit from the City Engineer one day

while poking around City Hall for 1920's maps). There was

more than enough there to have several adventures in

and around ol' RU during my last campaign.

I now live outside of Washington DC, which isn't quite so

Lovecraftian itself. But, Baltimore has a certain frission to

it (especially the older areas to the north & west), and

then there is the wonderfully creepy Burkittsville, which

is only about a 45 minute drive from my house, and was

an excellent choice for a setting by the makers of THE

BLAIR WITCH PROJECT (still the best Lovecraftian movie

ever made, I say).

MikeC

Gentleman-Ranker

Blackpool, for those of you who don't know it. Is a bleakly windswept fading seaside resort, famed for it's piers and it's tower. In Cthulhu terms, it's more Ramsey Campbell than Lovecraft.

Dying slowly since the advent of cheap foreign holidays in the seventies it has been adopted by the northern British working classes as a place for violent, alcohol fueled Stag and Hen nights.

It has a permanent population of 150,000 which rises to 2-3 million every weekend throughout the season. It's a town to be anonymous in. Damp bedsit's on long streets off central drive hold the lost and the lonely, fleeing bad divorces or criminal charges, working on the black behind bars.

Crowning glory of the tired town is the Tower, 518 feet of purposeless steel, opened in 1894. Once I worked there. It crouches, decaying in a mill-like building. It's splayed legs pierce through multiple floors and bury themselves deep in the earth like barbed torturers hooks.

As a seventeen year old in my first job I was locked in a strange cupboard/corridor near the Tower Ballroom as a joke played on new staff. Hunched cardboard boxes, filled with mouldering velvet, collapsing with damp. A great rusting plate of steel arcing through the space. Part of one of the legs, like a whale's rib.

Beyond the rib, a tunnel, dissapearing into darkness. It looked, in the light of the one swaying bulb, as if the walls of the tunnel, contracted, squeezed in like a clogged artery.

The bulb went out with a soft pop, leaving only the fading red afterimage of light and in that startled moment between heartbeats I'm sure I heard something in the tunnel stir and move!

I beat on the door until I was released.

GR

goatritual

There's not much that I know about where I live, Melbourne that is. :(

I live relatively close to Pentridge, a now defunt prison, half torn down to make way for housing. I toured it once, though I was young, only about 12 or so, so I don't really remember it, it's supposedly haunted *shrugs*. I also toured the Old Melbourne Gaol, which is purportedly Melbourne's most haunted location, though I was young then too.

Though, when I was a child, I remember sleeping on the couch for some reason one night to be woken by the whispering of a foreign word in my ear. I used to remember what it was, but it's been absent in my memory for almost a decade. Being the only one in the room, I was pretty creeped out.

If anyone has any interesting stories/facts/the like on my area, I'd love to know.

Sybelle

I live in Guadalajara, Mexico, and we do have a couple of strange things, it's a city founded by the Spanish in 1542, so we have a lot of Colonial buildings and monuments which are kind of creepy.

The strangest thing I can think of is a series of tunnels that where discovered , they join most of the downtown area, no one knows really why they built them and how many they are. Recently they discovered more while they were laying the foundation of a parking building.

There's probably a lot more strange things in the area, but I can't seem to remember them right now.

dreamofpeace

I'm in Seattle, Washington. Not especially spooky itself, but it was built on the ruins of the old Seattle which is now underground (and parts of it are still accessible - people go on walking tours through it).

ANd then of course there are the ancient forests of huge trees a short drive from the city. Many of these trees are more than a thousand years old. Oh yeah, and Sasquatch is supposed to live around here.

Best Wishes,

Manu

PodMonkeys

I live in Salem, MA which is really more touristy than spooky. :P

There are some neat things around here tho, such as the old Asylum in Danvers, although its unfortunately being converted to new apartments. Theres all sorts of cemeteries around the area, and lots and lots of trees in the surrounding areas. Fun stuff.

MikeC, I was wondering about that Shunned House in NJ. How much of an influence was that house, because I just got to see the "actual" Shunned house in Providence, Rhode Island, yesterday. The one in RI, is the one he physically based the house off of, and according to S.T. Joshi, has a fairly similar history to the one in the story. HPL's aunt was a cleaning lady for the house for a short time, so HPL probably had access to the house a few times.