Sign in to follow this  
FlyingHoof

CoC Miniatures Gallery

FlyingHoof

Well I’ve been playing CoC off and on for over 15 years and have acquired some miniatures during that time. I’ve just started painting a few and have wondered how others may have painted their minis.

So, is there any interest in setting up some sort of miniatures gallery here on Yog-Sothoth.com and can it be done? I know RAFM has a gallery but it would be nice to see some of the older and non-RAFM figures represented also.

fh

Guest squashua

Might be cool to start a Miniatures section in the Wiki

That way we can catalog all the cool miniatures AND have nifty pictures to boot!

Neil

I used to paint miniatures about 20 years ago, from what I remember I did have some games workshop cthulhu figures, it'd mean hunting through some cupboards to find them.

PoC

A great idea! We could use this thread for discussion and picture posting and the results can be put into a CthulhuWiki entry.

Some starting links for info.

RAFM Cthulhu Miniatures Range

http://www.rafm.com/cthulhu/index.html

RAFM CoC Minis on 'Stuff on Legends'

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/rafm/call-of-cthulhu.html

Grenadier CoC Minis on 'Stuff on Legends'

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/grenadier/cthulhu.html

Citadel (Games Workshop) Gothic Horror Minis on 'Stuff of Legends'

http://www.solegends.com/citgoth/index.htm

Metal Magic (Dunwich Detective) Minis on 'Stuff on Legends'

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/metal-magic/dunwich-detective.html

Dunwich Detectives Minis from eM4 Miniatures (YSDC Review)

Star Spawn from the Grenadier range (Blister Pack 217)

graven-images-spawn-snap.jpg

Mi-Go from the Grenadier range (Creatures Box 6502)

graven-images-migo-snap.jpg

Shoggoth from the Grenadier range (Creatures Box 6502)

graven-images-shoggoth-snap.jpg

We're using minis in our current Masks game.

masks-character-minis.jpg

Paul

Moth_maggash

I actually have the Star-Spawn figure, though the wings have broke off, and been lost, god knows when. Inherited it from my older cousin(he's not dead, but the gamer in him has passed on, but before he did, he gave life to the gamer in me :D ) I always knew it was Lovecraftian, though I always took it to be the big C himself. I always liked the way the figure gave a sense of weight and slow movement, like and elephant.

christian

don't want to sound negative but I long ago ( like... 1981...) decided never to use miniatures for CoC. In DnD, they were ok to show who'd get the axe or the arrow in the back first. In CoC, I thought they deterred from the "serious" mental visualisation of the scene by players

Sinister-Ornament

I've got a painted Grenadier Star Spawn, a RAFM Baykhee, a Servitor (unvarnished), and 2 Mi-go.

I've have to post images somehow,photobucket or some image storing web site, anyone know of a good one?

GreveMagnus
don't want to sound negative but I long ago ( like... 1981...) decided never to use miniatures for CoC. In DnD, they were ok to show who'd get the axe or the arrow in the back first. In CoC, I thought they deterred from the "serious" mental visualisation of the scene by players

I also find using miniatures in CoC to be quite pointless. There's little point in setting up the battle board and the miniatures for a combat in which the players all cry out "Run like f**k!" in the first melee round. I find that combats in my games tend to be very fluid and mobile, as the investigators are usually fleeing while fighting.

Not that I'm trying to dampen anyone's fun either. I'm interested in hearing how you all use miniatures in your games. Just looking at those posted here makes me want to try using them again...

Sinister-Ornament

Christian wrote:

I'm afraid I disagree

I always thought that a quick sketch of the floor plans as you travel round a building helped enormously even if they are not to scale, helps me concentrate on plot and role-playing and not visualising - sometimes the layout gives you ideas for tactics!

I can understand not using them if its A Single Monster (the run comment in the post above) but what if 5 or 6 merry cults turn up and try out some ammo they got a bulk discount on? :lol:

I understand why people dislike using miniatures, the trouble with them is they take alot of time and money and are a real pain to carry around.

The solution to this is the plastic stands you can buy for use with pre-printed carboard heroes.

I have these stands in my dice bag along with lots of blank little bits of paper. With a pencil and a quick scribble you can create whole armies of whatever you want here are some example (with comments);

A hungry gibbering multi-dimensional abomination, hideous and beyond human imagining!

(A non-ecludian miniature, if only in your players imagination!)

A shadowy thing lurking at the edge of your vision

(They might shoot at it - could be just a homeless person!)

A pale ill-looking man

(Is it a zombie - a zombie miniature would give the game away - but this little description keeps them guessing! This might help if, instead of using a miniature the players know you have, say of a bykhee, you write a 'strange winged shadow' and until they get the mythos roll you don't tell them what it is and don't replace it with the proper mini)

The stands can be combined with miniatures - if the players' characters are the miniatures and the stands are 'everyone' and 'everything' else.

*edited for spelling mistakes*

FlyingHoof

I don’t use the miniatures often but I like to break them out every now and then for a more “hands on” experience. I also find that it kind of breaks up the normal CoC session when you draw up a floor plan and have the players arrange their characters for there final stand against the unknown!

Also, the other purpose of this post was to point out the fact that I can’t seem to find a lot of pictures pertaining to the older miniatures. It would be interesting do something akin to the sites PoC sent links too but with the added bonus of seeing what they actually looked like. Were those black and white images for the Mi-Go, Shoggoth, and Star Spawn official grenadier pictures? I won’t venture to guess what’s on the Shoggoth!

One more thing, wasn’t there a line of figures called Lovecraft / HPL or something like that?

PoC

The Black & White pictures above are ones I took many years ago (at least 20)! 8O

As for what's on the Shoggoth, well, an old modeller's trick. ;)

Neil

I managed to find a couple, you'll have to excuse the photos as I haven't gotten to grips with getting such small things in focus.

chap.jpg

blob.jpg

FlyingHoof

Here's a newer figure from Reaper Miniatures. They're calling it a Faceless Horror. Still trying to figure out how to get my camera to focus correctly on something so small. The amount of detail is amazing!

facelesshorror29tl.jpg

facelesshorror19pc.jpg

Simstim

Obviously, it focusses a bit more on the Indiana Jones/Doc Savage side of the era, but the Pulp miniature showcase is a good start. I'm undecided about miniatures, I can see the advantages of them for visualising combat/action situations, but you need a lot of them for this to work well. Also, apart from the specifically CoC ones, they all have guns!

GreveMagnus
Obviously, it focusses a bit more on the Indiana Jones/Doc Savage side of the era, but the Pulp miniature showcase is a good start. I'm undecided about miniatures, I can see the advantages of them for visualising combat/action situations, but you need a lot of them for this to work well. Also, apart from the specifically CoC ones, they all have guns!

I wonder how much use you'd get out of that Hitler miniature...?

317096a.jpg

No, no! I didn't mean it! Please don't lock the thread!

Seriously, there's some great stuff there --- check out the Gaslight page too.

Guest squashua
Still trying to figure out how to get my camera to focus correctly on something so small.

Assuming it's a digital camera.

I have one that does NORMAL Zoom and DIGITAL Zoom.

I never use the Digital Zoom because I can do that better with Photoshop. Zoom in all the way with NON-DIGITAL Zoom. Then back off a bit.

There might be a button (I have a Canon) that throws a rectangle onto the preview screen. That tells the camera where to specify it's focus; that section should not come out blurry. It's how I made certain figures come out clear and others blurry for perspective purposes.

BTW, I love the paint job you did on that beastie!

FlyingHoof
Still trying to figure out how to get my camera to focus correctly on something so small.

Assuming it's a digital camera.

I have one that does NORMAL Zoom and DIGITAL Zoom.

I never use the Digital Zoom because I can do that better with Photoshop. Zoom in all the way with NON-DIGITAL Zoom. Then back off a bit.

There might be a button (I have a Canon) that throws a rectangle onto the preview screen. That tells the camera where to specify it's focus; that section should not come out blurry. It's how I made certain figures come out clear and others blurry for perspective purposes.

BTW, I love the paint job you did on that beastie!

Thanks for the advice! That's actually what I was doing. I was using the digital zoom at first but found that it wasn't really working out.

It was a daunting task to paint but I think in the end it turned out rather well. I'll be posting more soon as long as Image Shack stays up.

Neil

6501.jpg

looking at this picture I'd that L is the one I posted before and I'm almost cerain that I've got J aswell, I'll have to have another look.

Guest squashua
Thanks for the advice! That's actually what I was doing. I was using the digital zoom at first but found that it wasn't really working out.

Another thing with digital cameras is the shutter button (I think that's what it's called; the "take the damn picture" button). Don't just PRESS it. Hold it down lightly; on my camera that causes a bit of auto-focus, then it'll take the picture when I press.

FlyingHoof

Here's another new figure from Reaper that's being called an Eldritch Demon but is basically a Star-Spawn. I've got it side by side with the old Grenadier figure and an unfortunate investigator.

starspawnz20kc.jpg

starspawnz5rz.jpg

starspawnzvs0ho.jpg

And here are a couple of odd ball Deep Ones. I'm not sure where these two came from or who made them.

odddeeponez28nu.jpg

odddeeponez5bw.jpg

nameless-things

Those are two of the Dunwich Detectives miniatures from Metal Magic (Late 80's/early 90's)

THis German company didnt have the rights to produce cthulhu miniatures, however this was a rather extensive line, centering on the lesser creatures and investigators (No Gods etc).

A small selection of DD figures have been reproduced by EM-4 miniatures.

FlyingHoof
Sinister-Ornament said:
I've got a painted Grenadier Star Spawn, a RAFM Baykhee, a Servitor (unvarnished), and 2 Mi-go.

I've have to post images somehow,photobucket or some image storing web site, anyone know of a good one?

Well this posting of images is all new to me. I just went through image shack. So far it's been really easy. http://www.imageshack.us/

It looks like RAFM Miniatures is now honoring their Sanity Points proof of purchase rewards program. Follow the link-

http://www.rafm.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000033.html

Neil

I knew a bit more searching would turn up some more, looks like I didn't even bother finishing all of them and I'm not sure if the last one is cthulhu related I'm just going on the fact that its made by grenadier like some of the others

I managed to get better pictures this time by using a tripod.

butler.jpg detective.jpg dilettante.jpg

ghost.jpg librarian.jpg thing.jpg

Sinister-Ornament

Thanks FlyingHoof just what I was looking for!

I will now attempt to post images....

Drum roll....

===========================

Guess the Tune (AKA Recorder lessons)...

guessthetune20061su.th.jpg

RAFM's Servitor figure (still waiting to be gloss varnished) This is the most recent miniature of the bunch a gloss red under coat then the next coats were successively lighter shades of matt pink.

The Skull column still needs a little work.

=========================

Cultist by Stone Cthulhu Statue

cthulhucultists20057cj.th.jpg

Cultists are from the modern range 25mm from Ground Zero Games and the Cthulhu statue is from Graven Images

The stone effect was applied with a sponge

========================

Egypt...

egyptagain20035fs.th.jpg

These again are from RAFM. I have a thing about bases, I often paint them black so they match the many plastic ones my others miniatures are on. I tried something different with these and painted them a sandy colour, but I feel it detracted from the colour of the costumes, and so out came the black again.

====================

Star Spawn (not a good photograph - looks very slimey in real life)

starspawn20006ej.th.jpg

Grendier figure from the 80s - anyone know what scale he is?

====================

Coffin with occupant

coffin20065vv.th.jpg

from Graven Images resin range - odd scale 30mm perhaps?

=======================

The Eyewitness

theeyewitness9ox.th.jpg

I made a mistake with the insane figure here, I used too dark a base coat (black!) - the blood splatter came out lovely though thanks to splatter achived from paint flicked from a old toothbrush.

================================

Under Arrest

underarrest3aw.th.jpg

Both again 28mm from RAFM, I do prefer 'proper' 25mm though, I'll have to get some photographs of them ready.

=========================

(edited to add manufacturers)

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this