Sign in to follow this  
PoC

CthulhuWiki

PoC

We've set up a CthulhuWiki as we thought it could grow into a useful additional resource for visitors to Yog-Sothoth.com.

The CthulhuWiki is designed to be an information resource relating to H.P. Lovecraft and works inspired by his writings, including the Cthulhu Mythos, the Call of Cthulhu role-playing game by Chaosium and even the Yog-Sothoth.com.

Wikis live off user contributions. Something in the Yog-Sothoth.com forums needs preserving or writing up? Then why not preserve it here? (with permission) Always wanted to write an entry about your favourite Call of Cthulhu supplement? Now you can.

An article a day? A week? A month? Whatever your timetable, together we can build the CthulhuWiki into a resource for all Lovecraft and Call of Cthulhu fans...

In order to supply entries to the Wiki, you'll need to register. (Since it's an 'add-on' to the site.) If you'd like images associated with your entry, then simply send an email, with the image to wiki@yog-sothoth.com.

We hope over time the CthulhuWiki will grow into an indispensable reference for all things Lovecraftian.

Reach the CthulhuWiki via: http://www.yog-sothoth.com/wiki

Paul

Simstim

First question: what's the policy on spoilers? I can imagine some people will want to look up scenario/campaign supplements without also finding out what the big twist is.

PoC

Simply put a SPOILERS header before it. With 'End of Spoilers' at the end of that particular piece of text.

Paul

Simstim

That makes sense, but I wonder whether it'd be good to have the spoilery info all stuck at the end of the entry and the "player-safe" info at the beginning? Anyway, I suppose it's up to individual entry-authors, although normally a house-style develops over time on wikis.

PoC

That would likely be the best way, rather than trying to 'skip over' text with your eyes.

Paul

Nodens

It might be fun to write about Masks... It's not there yet.

Jonas

Anyone else think that CthulhuWiki is a new idea for an Unusual Mythos Tome?

**This page has been edited by Nyarlathotep. None may edit further**

phobia

Making the page entires "Highlight to see spoilers" should be easy, since the background is white by default. That might be the best way...

Guest squashua

It's a wiki, gang.

Create a standard template for listing books.

Make it do the development for you.

Jeff_Campbell

Well, I think that this is great. I would like to see more a table of contents or index on the first page, though. I am not sure where to put certain things, and since the page is protected, I can't make a new heading.

I want to add a link page for individual campaign pages. Where?

I also really think that the wiki will shine as a tool for Keepers. I forsee a heavily hyperlinked session with Elder Gods, locations, historical events, monsters, wizards, etc. So if I am running a game with some Great Old One, the wiki could show me stories and scenarios that include him, associated servitors and Elder Gods, geographic attachments, historical events that might be tied to him, etc. It would greatly add verisimilitude to my games!

PoC

There's a link off the Wiki Main Page now for 'Group Campaigns'. To create a new Wiki page that isn't directly or indirectly linked from the Main Page, search for the specific title of the entry you want to use, you'll get a 'Not Found' page that says:

No page with this exact title exists, trying full text search.

Click on the link 'this exact title' to make an entry under that name.

Further Wiki Help can be found via: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents

Templates would be very beneficial.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Template

Hope that helps!

Paul

Nyarlathotep

Allow me to say Finally.

This was something that was bound to happen in the Cthulhu Community. Excellent of you to start this up Paul!

PoC

Thanks, while they're fairly straightforward to set up, wikis need group effort to work effectively, and fortunately I think we have loads of that both here, on callingcthulhu.com, shoggoth.net, flamesrising.com and across the board in the HPL community in general.

Paul

PoC

I've unprotected the Wiki Main Page for those who wish to modify it.

Paul

Jeff_Campbell

I like you schema, it is naturally organized and easy to use. I want it to have more though.

What is the purpose of the wiki? I see two purposes. One is cataloging the authors, supplements, and other ephemera that is of interest to Call of Cthulhu players.

The other is to provide a research tool for the Keepers and players. Something like the layout of the Delta Green wiki would be good. Unfortunately the Delta Green wiki is reluctant to expand into other settings; this limit's it's use, as even straight up DG games will end up exploring where the current horror came from, what was done in the past, etc.

I suggest a page that lists books, one for dates (there is already one for the 1920's, great!), one for GOO's, one for artifacts, etc. Then on the specific page of each of these things, it links to the cults, monsters, Gods, DG ops, 20's era investigations, and everything else that is connected to it. Then if I am running a game, say, set in the Hastur cycle of Tynes and company translated to 1890, and I suddenly need an artifact for the old man to have hidden in his parlor, I can pull up either the Hastur Cycle page, or Mysterious Artifacts page, and probably find what I need. Then this could lead into the cults, monsters, etc. associated with it. I just think that such a thing would make running a game so much more ... easier, and deep.

Guest squashua

I figured out how to set up Categories properly.

I made a bunch of changes, but the good sample portion is the re-done Mythos Vade Mecum section. I will elaborate at a later date.

TinyPirate

I'm doing some work on a new keeper guide.. but it would be best if others join in on that section, my experiences will be unique to me and we'll need to make sure the articles are as rounded out by other people's experiences as possible.

PoC

If you haven't done so recently, do check out the CthuhluWiki. Squashua has done much sterling work on organisation and style which gives it a solid foundation to work upon!

See also: Wikithulhu: TODOs Updated

Paul

cjearkham

Hi, folks. I just joined yesterday, but I've been guest-browsing the site for years. (It was getting an iPod and downloading YogRadio that pushed me over the edge.)

I decided to add books to the CthulhuWiki, but I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly. Certainly, stuff's been added, but has it been added correctly? Some questions:

In the Books Style Guide, what was envisioned for the

'''Fiction:''' [[Fiction 1]], [[Fiction 2]]

'''Non-Fiction:''' [[Non-Fiction 1]], [[Non-Fiction 2]]

part of the Details?

How do I upload images to appear in the Wiki entry?

Following the tutorial, I added pages by putting a link to them in the "Category:Books" page, but I could only put the links between

{{CategoryHelper|Books}}

and

[[Category:Literature]]

which looked ugly in the page. So after creating the new page and seeing the Subcategory entry for it, I deleted that link. Bad idea? Mostly harmless?

And can I correct the auto-generated subcategories somehow? "The Hastur Cycle" is listed under "T" rather than "H".

Chris Jarocha-Ernst

Guest squashua

And can I correct the auto-generated subcategories somehow? "The Hastur Cycle" is listed under "T" rather than "H".

Wikipedia tutorials should walk you through some of the basics.

To organize by ignoring the "The", do the following:

When typing out category, do this:

[[Category:NAME OF CATEGORY|Hastur Cycle]]

That will sort without the "The" and place the page in the "H" division but will list it as "The Hastur Cycle" since that is the name of the page.

PoC

We had upload images defaulted to off, but I've now switched it 'on' and we'll see how it goes!

To see recent changes to the CthulhuWiki, you can use the following RSS Feed:

CthulhuWiki Recent Changes RSS Feed

Paul

CharlesDexterWard

I was reading the Innsmouth entry and noticed the <ref> tags, visible in all their hideous gloryl

Do we have to update to wiki software, or tweak a setting, to get the <ref> tag (and the corresponding <references/> entry) to work? They look like they are formatted correctly (at least according to the main wikipedia documentation).

I am wiki-ignorant (with regards to set up & configuring the software), but if there is anything I can do to help.....