Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lammomedes

Finding New posts problem?

Lammomedes

Okay, I am usually pretty good about this, but for some reason I can't seem to figure out what has gone wrong. Up until two days ago, whenever I signed into the forums, all I had to do was click on "New posts since last visit" and it would give me a listing of all that I had missed. Since the forums tend to be a daily visit, its pretty easy to keep track of things.

Now however that doesn't seem to work. I keep getting the response "No posts meet your criteria" though it is obvious that posts have been made since my last visit yesterday.

Any easy way to figure out what I might have done wrong? For the life of me, I haven't changed any settings to my browser (Netscape 8) or to my computer that I can think of.

Thanks,

Matt

PoC

Our first suggestion would be to clear out your cookies for Yog-Sothoth on your machine and then log back in. Worth a first try!

Paul

Marty

There's a 'new posts since last visit' tab? Huh :)

I always use the Forum Posts section at the left of the screen... Learn something new every day.

Lammomedes
Our first suggestion would be to clear out your cookies for Yog-Sothoth on your machine and then log back in. Worth a first try!

Paul

Will do...thanks.

Zoran
Now however that doesn't seem to work. I keep getting the response "No posts meet your criteria" though it is obvious that posts have been made since my last visit yesterday.

I've been having the same problem and I've tried it with three different browsers (Netscape, Explorer and iCab).

Near as I can tell, what's happening is that when I click on the View posts since last visit link, the server resets the time since my last visit to the present, then reports, quite accurately, that there have been no new posts in the last few seconds.

When I fist get to the Forums page I get a little notice like this:

You last visited on Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:35 pm

The time now is Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:50 pm

When I use the browser's Back button to get back to the Forums page, that's turned into;

You last visited on Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:50 pm

The time now is Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:52 pm

I don't know if the problem is at my end, but this has been a consistent problem for the past three or four days.

Actually, if the Forum Search function had a search by time feature -- so I could search for all posts made between noon yesterday and noon today, for example -- that would be a good work-around. That way, I could just do a search for posts made in the last twenty-four hours whenever the system reset the time of my last visit.

Regards,

Zoran

PoC

It's functioning properly when I try, though we will look into this further. If we find any solutions to your problems, we'll post them here.

Best,

Paul

Lammomedes
It's functioning properly when I try, though we will look into this further. If we find any solutions to your problems, we'll post them here.

Best,

Paul

Well, ditto here too. Tried the cookie fix, but that didn't solve the problem. I am glad I am not the only person with this problem. I kinda felt like the guy who takes his car to get repaired, but then finds out that the problem has stopped or can't be repeated by the mechanic.

Seems it's still an issue on my end too. Doesn't seem to be a problem with my office Mac, but my home PC laptop is having the issue with multiple browsers.

Perhaps something to do with our logins?

Matt

PoC

If it seems to be OK on your Office Mac, but not at home then it may be an issue somewhere on route between us and you. It could be some sort of ISP caching or Firewall issue, but I don't have the network knowledge to say, so I'll investigate further with people who do. ;)

Paul

Lammomedes
If it seems to be OK on your Office Mac, but not at home then it may be an issue somewhere on route between us and you. It could be some sort of ISP caching or Firewall issue, but I don't have the network knowledge to say, so I'll investigate further with people who do. ;)

Paul

Thanks for your help Paul. It's a minor problem, and somewhat more of an annoyance than a real issue, but knowing what I do about computers, sometimes little problems are the sign of something larger in the long run.

I'll work around it for the moment, but it was a lot more convienent before when the button and function did work.

Matt

cynick

The same problem occurs if your internet connection goes down whilst you are browsing the forums.

I've been away for a month (house-hunting and trying to arrange a mortgage (major SAN loss!)). I only have one of those dial-up accounts which automatically cuts out after 2 hours, and it's going to take a lot longer than that to catch up on everything I've missed. I don't have to log back in to YSDC, but it resets the time of "my last visit".

Ah well, if I have any spare cash after moving I may just have to invest in broadband.

cynick

My apologies, this appears to no longer be the case. Must have been fixed in the last site upgrade.

Many thanks to whoever did that :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.