Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Lin

UK Version of Innsmouth?

klingsor

There was an article in an old issue of a folklore journal that suggested that birth defects could have given rise to some fairy stories. The suggestion was that the incidence would have been higher in isolated communities where there would have been limited, shall we say, genetic diversity.

The examples given included:

Mermaid - Sirenomelia.

Changleings - Cri du chat syndrome.

Others were mentioned but I cannot recall them, it is 20 years since I read the article.

Around the same time (wasting time in the university library) I ran across a mention of a degenerate village from the late 18th or early 19th century in England but I cannot recall any details.

The ghoul village section of the film The Monster Club might well repay a viewing.

MarkRyan

The nearest comparison to Innsmouth I know of is the tiny fishing village of Keyhaven in South West Hampshire. On the borders of the New Forest National Park, this sleepy corner has a singular lack of variety in the names on the war memorial. All of the houses are occupied but you rarely see signs of the inhabitants.

On a cold winter's morn, a real feeling of menacing isolation can be felt there - and then check out the castle.............

I've been trying to find a place to buy there for ages :8E:

corpse-eater

StephanieMcAlea

Rhyl.

nuff said.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now