Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willowhugger

[Cthulhu Mecha] Would you play this game?

Willowhugger

We're doing a testing for the market for this kind of thing and I've been drafted to ask...

The world is Post-Awakening, the Great Old Ones awoke when the stars were in alignment and human civilization was reduced to a small fragment of what it was originally. More than ninety percent of the human race perished in the initial wave of madness, murder, and mayhem.

The Mi-Go have spread humanity as their slave race across the stars as the Deep Ones dragged millions of humans underwater to become breeding stock. The Elder Things took more of our kind to become once more the jesters and pets of their stock.

It is in this world that the Great Race of Yith has bonded with a small number of the surviving "free pockets" of humanity and in the wastes of the surface have raised their own cities. These cities are largely filled with ignorant and insane masses who have no conception of what has happened or even what is outside their borders.

Utilizing bio-engineering, arcane sciences, and magics that enhance many children into beings capable of fighting the Mythos.....the Great Race hopes to clear the way for their own colonization from the past. Humanity is but another pawn in the ‘benevolent’ race’s schemes.

Can humanity forge a place for itself....and will the means necessary for that place rob us of what makes us people? Only time will tell. I will not be amongst those who carry on the fight. I have seen too much, witnessed too many truths, the only thing remaining is my salvation. A salvation born from a blast to my head from my own gun.

-General Ronald Oldcastle, Special Projects Division Head’s suicide note

Cthulhu Mecha would contain rules for enhanced humans with psychic powers and abilities well and beyond normal humans (from bonding their DNA with the things beyond unbeknownst to them) plus the insanity thereof and even rules for humans occasionally possessed by the Great Race. It'd also show Post-Uprising humanity littered with secret societies and rules for (d20 wise) various machines for fighting the Mythos and "Black Technology" born from studying/using the sanity blasting techniques. All of the Lovecraftian races would be updated to more alien roles with the Deep Ones being a vast undersea Empire and the Mi Go being a galaxy spanning evil.

Old ones more like Eva's Angels and their servants like the Mu. People know they exist and destroy but nothing about them.

Langdale

I'd play it. Course maybe that's because I'm into kinda a sci-fi cthulhu idea, or at least post-apocalypse style setting. Sounds interesting, I was working on a modern/near future setting with a secret organization in the government that was using children and splicing DNA with unknown entities to create specialized assassins, with the PC's playing the assassins who slowly uncover the secrets behind their creation, and that their branch has become corrupted and is actually working toward bringing forth a great evil on earth rather than their original goal of stopping it.

Willowhugger
I'd play it. Course maybe that's because I'm into kinda a sci-fi cthulhu idea, or at least post-apocalypse style setting. Sounds interesting, I was working on a modern/near future setting with a secret organization in the government that was using children and splicing DNA with unknown entities to create specialized assassins, with the PC's playing the assassins who slowly uncover the secrets behind their creation, and that their branch has become corrupted and is actually working toward bringing forth a great evil on earth rather than their original goal of stopping it.

Sounds quite fun.

Roland_de_Ronceveaux

No. As Sci-Fi Cthulhu goes, I prefer 'Cthulhu Rising' or even 'End Times'. Cthulhu Mecha doesn't do it for me. That's just my opinion however.

Cheers,

Roland

cjbowser

You might want to start a poll for this type of thing.

As for the question, though, Cthulhu Mecha's not my thing. I'd pass.

Haml337

That kind of game already exists, in its own way. RIFTS. Nice game, if a little heavy on the bookkeeping - esp. coming from a CoC point of view.

But you might have something with the theme of humanity's salvation being its own damnation. Feels appropriately dystopian in the tradition of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" as well as William Gibson's work. Add a dash of "Ghost in the Shell" for good measure, too. :P

But the real thing you should examine is whether or not a current suppliment covers these themes better than your present option. If that's what you want to bring to you players. It would be appropriately Lovecraftian.

If you want to play superhumans fisghting the Unknown and Powerful... Check out RIFTS.

All IMHO.

Mithras
It'd also show Post-Uprising humanity littered with secret societies and rules for (d20 wise) various machines for fighting the Mythos and "Black Technology" born from studying/using the sanity blasting techniques.

This is the key. Really cool looking mecha for the Players and GM to drool over (tech schematics, illustrations, scratch-built scale kits, epic paintings, 3D CAD models etc). IMHO I'd dump any current Mecha-verses-Mecha D20 ruleset add-on and devize something afresh too... The D20 ruleset (pure, modern or otherwise) is good for light skirmishy tactical combat but somehow isn't geared towards the heavy plastisteel giant tree-crushing, building-colliding scale that gives the Mecha genre animes/manga/games their omphf.

See also http://www.talsorian.com/mzindex.shtml

Y'know, I can't help feeling that someone should do a 'Cheapass Games' strategy on a Cthulhu-meets-Mecha setup: If you ignore the clever shapes they come in, all those 1/100 scale Master Grade model kits are all an interchangeable set of Mechas & just add a few random spare parts & generic bits from that gathered bunch of unpainted, half-broken and unmade battletech Mechs, panzer tanks, plastic battleships and Space marines pieces you might have tucked away, and hey-presto - all that's needed is a jury-rigged D.I.Y. aesthetic colour-scheme in some centralised rulebook/website to unite the various factions. As long as the Alien Race stuff looks appropriately eldritch (covered in wall cavity foam and latex glue with a bit of techy surface texture maybe), you'd have a great time recycling all your old kits to play.

Danharms

What about that Cthulhu Mecha game that Eos was going to put out way back when? I can't remember the name, but perhaps you should check on their status before proceeding.

Willowhugger
What about that Cthulhu Mecha game that Eos was going to put out way back when? I can't remember the name, but perhaps you should check on their status before proceeding.

It's dead. Alas, they never even wrote the book. They were too worried about it's intellectual property value beyond being an RPG and eventually split over which way to divide the plunder.

Rusty-Spoon

I'd pass - not my cup of sick at all.

Wood

I was wondering about Eos' Cthulhutech books too.

But seriously, no. No interest in space opera (or any other kind of sci-fi) Cthulhu. Modern day, 20s, Victorian, yeah. Space opera, no.

Willowhugger
I was wondering about Eos' Cthulhutech books too.

But seriously, no. No interest in space opera (or any other kind of sci-fi) Cthulhu. Modern day, 20s, Victorian, yeah. Space opera, no.

No space opera, science fiction. There's going to be nothing heroic about this if we can help it.

Wood

I'd have put giant mecha firmly in the space opera category...

malcojones

Not for me.

Because: I'm conceiving your idea as something like the future in the Terminator films; i.e. really hostile to humanity with a technological twist.

It means the PCs have to 'learn' their environment and times in a way that Call of Cthulhu's main eras don't require (arguably Dark Ages, Invictus are different but there is an historical record to work from).

In order to provide a range of characters and occupations you have to have either an inordinately complex set-up or restrict variety ('you're all enslaved miners for the Mi-Go on Mars' & so on). There's no ordinary to build horror from.

I'm not saying it can't work for some; I just can't see any version of this setting working for me. Best, malcojones

Willowhugger

I've managed to solve that point by the fact that most human beings under the Yith largely live in a totalitarian but otherwise normal first world country. the "normal" is firmly established. There's also a near total blackout to what the various soldier groups are fighting and coverups when something eats a Chinese restaraunt family.

This assumes the players aren't soldiers though who are people who either are raised in the environment and know that they are fighting aliens (though not necessarily four or so seperate races). Part of the environment will be the stranglehold on information where even people "in the know" know misinformation.

Humans under the Deep Ones and in the Mi Go may have supplements about them or not.

David_Shan

Id cirtainly try it out, but mostly because of its resemblence to COAEG. Could be good or it could be too complex.

N-kun

id probably play.. as long as we get to beat up mythos creatures in clones of ancient and terrible creatures covered in armour and bonded to our brainwaves.... or maybe ive just been watching too much neon genesis evangelion...

AcesandEights

Please, no.

I mean...I'd pass. Unless it was the only game going on in my town.

TomBedlam

It sounds god awf... errr. Not my cup of tea.

Langdale

Sounds kinda like Eva, I love Eva, not much else to be said.

Steve_Marsh

It's dead. Alas, they never even wrote the book. They were too worried about it's intellectual property value beyond being an RPG and eventually split over which way to divide the plunder.

Too busy fighting over the profits to make any, sigh.