Sign in to follow this  
The_Silent_One

Arwassa, Zvilpogghua, Ycnagnnisssz, Xiuhrn, Oorn

Victimizer

@ookay now to your other questions, Silent One (if you have not already forgotten.)

1.) Ghadamon: While I have not read the story itself, this creature was formed by the Mi-go from a Spawn of Azathoth which was fed a diet of human brains. It is still in larval form, composed of a "bluish-brown mucoidal substance". It moves itself about with several stringy pseudopods. Foul pustules cover it's hide until they burst, releasing noxious gas and slime. It resides in the Dreamlands' Underworld, more precisely in the sterile lake near the Vale of Pnath. I'm not sure in which story Ghadamon appears.

Dho-Spawn: This entity is a formless amss of flesh which roils in and out of multiple dimensions and is thus not entirely material; it is only made visible by casting the Powder of Ibn Ghazi upon it. From it's median line sprout numerous whip-like tentacles with knobby ends, which it uses to plunge into the brains of sentient beings (well namely us, I suppose), controlling them and feeding off of their minds and memories. It can even control them once they would normally be dead! Should the Dho-Spawn have to retreat, it pulls out of it's victims, thereby removing the spine through the back of their heads. I have no idea from what story it is though.

Star Mother: Another Seed of Azathoth (actually a larvae of the outer gods, and thus, unlike the other two, an outer go herself) which inhabits a sunken ghost ship of some sort. She resembles a "plump, huge-breasted, faceless female figure, reminiscent of the Willendorf Goddess." From her body, tiny root-like tentacles spread out through her entire abode. If it is the same entity, it may be encountered in the story ...*searches* okay, I rented out my "Cthulhu's disciples", I think it'S in there, I'll check it once I have it back.

3.) My links are:

All sorts of tales by H.P. Lovecraft, even those which he collaborated with others like "The challenge from beyond" and "The Horror in the Museum".

http://www.amidalaslenhadas.hpg.ig.com.br/taw/tales.html

All tales of the Atlantean High Priest Klarkashton and some King in Yellow stories:

http://www.worldofschmitt.com/

A strange assortment of quotes which seem to be genuine (some definately are, I could not verify them all). Go through all the pages, it get's more interesting near the end.

http://www.strayreality.com/Lanis_Strayreality/evilspirits%202.htm

My previously cited encyclopedia (go to the cthulhu mythos index):

http://baharna.com/cmythos/mythos.htm

Eldritch Dark's infamous Hyperborian Glossary:

http://www.eldritchdark.com/misc/hyper/index.html

And a useful link as well, no doubt known to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu_mythos

Need any more Great Old One/outer god/creature/place/whatever else inro...? I'd be glad to help! :)

*edit*

Timeline of the Cthulhu Mythos:

http://www.dracandros.com/Jebgarg/Nidoking/cthuchrono.htm

Victimizer

@Master_Forcide

whoops, you are indeed correct, Xiurhn appears to be a "simple" servitor of "the Night".

Other Mythos Gods mentioned are also the GOO's Mnomquah and Sthood and the outer god "The Night".

MisterEntropy
I

Ubbo-Sathla (Fission): Nyogtha, Abhoth, Han, Chaugnar Faugn*, Yidhra*, Mappo-No-Ryûjin.

Yig (Fissionary): Byatis*.

*Byatis = While it is known that Yig and Shub-Niggurath have mated, and she may be his mother, Byatis may be simply Yig's fissionary spawn. I found nothing on Byatis mom, so I put him here.

Cthugha* (Fissionary): Aphoom-Zhah.

*Cthugha = May be the son of Aphoom-Zhah; although this seems unlikely, as this would make him Rhan-Tegoth's brother and looking at other Litters, such diverse Siblings aren't "the Norm".

Aphoom-Zhah (Fissionary): Rhan-Tegoth.

I would personally dispute these, and put Chaugner-Faugn, Rhan-Tegoth, Byatis and (possibly) Ghatanothoa in one family if not one litter, possibly as additional spawn of Ghisghuth or Cxaxukluth. My reasoning: Rhan-Tegoth and Ghatanothoa are both 'proboscidean' and from Yuggoth (most recently, probably not born there), Ghatanothoa probably a step or two removed from this famiy to the Xothian (though depending on who you believe, Cxaxukluth may be an ancestor to that family as well). Byatis has too many similar features to Rhan-Tegoth (single tri-lobed eye/three close set eyes; both have crab-claws and proboscis and are vampiric) for this to be a coincidence--I don't think RT has any connection to Aphoom-Zhah besides being trapped in the ice during the glacial advance.

Just my 2 bits; this being the highly questionable field of 'Mythos genealogy' one could infer practically anything.

[/code]

The_Silent_One
I

Ubbo-Sathla (Fission): Nyogtha, Abhoth, Han, Chaugnar Faugn*, Yidhra*, Mappo-No-Ryûjin.

Yig (Fissionary): Byatis*.

*Byatis = While it is known that Yig and Shub-Niggurath have mated, and she may be his mother, Byatis may be simply Yig's fissionary spawn. I found nothing on Byatis mom, so I put him here.

Cthugha* (Fissionary): Aphoom-Zhah.

*Cthugha = May be the son of Aphoom-Zhah; although this seems unlikely, as this would make him Rhan-Tegoth's brother and looking at other Litters, such diverse Siblings aren't "the Norm".

Aphoom-Zhah (Fissionary): Rhan-Tegoth.

I would personally dispute these, and put Chaugner-Faugn, Rhan-Tegoth, Byatis and (possibly) Ghatanothoa in one family if not one litter, possibly as additional spawn of Ghisghuth or Cxaxukluth. My reasoning: Rhan-Tegoth and Ghatanothoa are both 'proboscidean' and from Yuggoth (most recently, probably not born there), Ghatanothoa probably a step or two removed from this famiy to the Xothian (though depending on who you believe, Cxaxukluth may be an ancestor to that family as well). Byatis has too many similar features to Rhan-Tegoth (single tri-lobed eye/three close set eyes; both have crab-claws and proboscis and are vampiric) for this to be a coincidence--I don't think RT has any connection to Aphoom-Zhah besides being trapped in the ice during the glacial advance.

Just my 2 bits; this being the highly questionable field of 'Mythos genealogy' one could infer practically anything.

[/code]

*Whistles.* Bravo. However, Chaugnar Faughn is an ascended elephant (indirectly descended from Ubbo-Sathla), Byatis is the son of Yig, perhaps by Shub-Niggurath, and the rest are vaguely open, since old Ghat is way too weird to be Cthulhu's spawn. Speaking of Cthulhu, I don't think Yog literally impregnated his own daughter/son, but instead induced his/her pregnancy, forming twin beings with a resemblance to what would one day be known as Star-Spawn. Why? Who knows?

Victimizer

@The_Silent_One

Since it's an outer god...isn't that virtually the same? :wink:

I just noticed that in the wiki article, the nameless mist is listed as maybe being the "unknown wind elemental" that derleth metioned...that would make sense. Do you happen to have a source for this? Or a convincing theory? :)

@mister entropy

I agree that Rhan-Tegoth being the son of Aphoom-Zhah is quite strange (what were they thinking??), but to associate beings for simply having a proboscis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proboscis would be kind of like associating beings for having tentacles, in my opinion.

Also, Ghatanothoa is so strange that he, visually, doesn't appear to fit with any of the mentioned beings.

However, Rhan-Tegoth and Byatis are strangely similar. But like you said, it's a pretty questionable "field" of study.

I personally think that cthugha would probably be descendant from Tzulscha, for example...however, with such weird spawns as Lloigor, Byatis, Rhan-Tegoth and Ghatanothoa, you can never be too sure.

I suppose someone should just go ahead and continue what Lin Carter did and get the rest of the beings into a family tree.

MisterEntropy
However, Chaugnar Faughn is an ascended elephant (indirectly descended from Ubbo-Sathla), Byatis is the son of Yig, perhaps by Shub-Niggurath...

What are the sources where these were established?

Victimizer

Here from the time-line of the cthulhu Mythos:

http://www.dracandros.com/Jebgarg/Nidoking/cthuchrono.htm

I don't know where they got this exactly (chaugnar faugn I mean), but I would say he isn't an ascended "elephant", he just happens to look like one. Since he ascends from an earthly life form, he is a great grandchild of Ubbo-Sathla.

Byatis being the son of Yig...well, you'll either find that in the works featuring him (Ramsey Campbell stuff) or in Lin Carters stories. The quote is here:

http://www.strayreality.com/Lanis_Strayreality/necronomicon2.htm and appears to be genuine.

Shub-Niggurath is named as Yig's mate in "The Mound" and possibly others.

MisterEntropy

Ah...I've seen that Necronomicon site floating around before--same source that lists Vulthoom as Tsathoggua's brother. Some of it does appear transcribed from actual stories, but I have my doubts as to the validity of all of it. There's also bits that appear nicked from gematria (sp?) or the various 'occult' Necronomicons that throw in Babylonian myth and whatnot.

The timeline quote, meanwhile:"2 billion years ago: Chaugnar Faugn incarnates in a primitive form on Earth. It evolves itself over the coming millenia. ("Timeline of the Cthulhu Mythos," Appel)"-

I always took to mean that Chaugnar-Faugn, a pre-existing GOO, manifested itself on earth using some living being, rather than that he 'ascended' to GOO-hood from a mundane earthly lifeform.

@Victimizer: You raise a good point about the proboscis thing; so many of these Mythos boojums have similar features (or lack thereof) as to make shared physical characteristics a dubious basis for kinship, not to mention half of them are polymorphous.

Anyway, making a COMPLETE 'family tree', I think, is just about impossible. I figure there's missing links, too many possible interpretations, plus it's bloody impossible to represent graphically because GOO sex is apparently one big intergenerational incestuous love-fest. :wink:

Beyond02
Ah...I've seen that Necronomicon site floating around before--same source that lists Vulthoom as Tsathoggua's brother. Some of it does appear transcribed from actual stories, but I have my doubts as to the validity of all of it. There's also bits that appear nicked from gematria (sp?) or the various 'occult' Necronomicons that throw in Babylonian myth and whatnot.

The timeline quote, meanwhile:"2 billion years ago: Chaugnar Faugn incarnates in a primitive form on Earth. It evolves itself over the coming millenia. ("Timeline of the Cthulhu Mythos," Appel)"-

I always took to mean that Chaugnar-Faugn, a pre-existing GOO, manifested itself on earth using some living being, rather than that he 'ascended' to GOO-hood from a mundane earthly lifeform.

@Victimizer: You raise a good point about the proboscis thing; so many of these Mythos boojums have similar features (or lack thereof) as to make shared physical characteristics a dubious basis for kinship, not to mention half of them are polymorphous.

Anyway, making a COMPLETE 'family tree', I think, is just about impossible. I figure there's missing links, too many possible interpretations, plus it's bloody impossible to represent graphically because GOO sex is apparently one big intergenerational incestuous love-fest. :wink:

And there is the simple fact that this is mythology, in which all such relationships are representative of relationships between communities of worshippers rather than literal relationships. Many of the names we use are merely alternative designations of the same entity which then becomes the "son," "father," "brother" of the other name which is more familiar (do you really think that Cthulhu and Ghatanathoa are seperate entities?). An attempt at building a family tree is simply a matter of whistling past the graveyard, it is a human effort to understand something that has no kinship with human understanding.

The_Silent_One

Shub-Niggurath is quite the -dare I say it- drazel *nudge nudge, wink wink*! Uh-oh... Oh, Magna Mater, forgive meeeeeaaaaauuggghhh....

But really, what is with their genetic structure that they can stand messing around with their cousins? Simple answer: They are gods! Well, sort of...

Read Nabakov. There's weirder out there.

Victimizer

@MisterEntropy

Hmm...you are indeed correct about chaugnar faugn; his body would be Ubbo-Sathlaian, the actual great old one wouldn't be.

Guess I'll have to keep that in mind until I can get a hold of a Frank Belknap Long Mythos collection.

I have a graphical family tree on a piece of paper...it was bloody hell to construct it, and has a few crisscrosses (due to the intergalactic wench Shub-Niggurath :) ) in it. Doesn't look pretty, but it's possible. In 3d it would look better, I suppose.

@ZootSoot:

In some cases, yes, it are quotes that are written by humans which tell us of the GOO's lineage. But there are also those which have been directly told by gods (Tsathoggua speaks of Hzioulquoigmnzhah as it's "uncle"). I've never seen family trees as anything humano-centric (sp?) though. If I were to say, for example "Cthlhu mated with Idyaa to produce Zoth-Ommog", I just have to keep in mind that: 1.) I have to throw gender applications out the window, as male and female are earthly terms for describing in and out bits on creatures. 2.) The mating itself is a totally unknown and alien act/way of "reproduction" and may not involve any physical insertion and 3.) they aren't a "family".

What i comes down to is a simple "They made it", which is good enough for me to make a lineage tree and doesn't take away the alien quality of the deities.

Though it is true that they could come into being in a way which isn't applicable to "They made it", but I don't worry about that as it is beyond my understanding.

And yeah, I think Cthulhu and Ghatanothoa are separate entities. The only way they could not be would be for them to be masks of the same entity (or a communal entity with multiple bodies like Yidhra, which is esentially the same) or something beyond my understanding, and thus not graspable in meaning, let alone word, by my primitive primate brains.

And there is the simple fact that this is mythology, in which all such relationships are representative of relationships between communities of worshippers rather than literal relationships.

That isn't neccessarily true either but point taken.

Beyond02

@ZootSoot:

In some cases, yes, it are quotes that are written by humans which tell us of the GOO's lineage. But there are also those which have been directly told by gods (Tsathoggua speaks of Hzioulquoigmnzhah as it's "uncle"). I've never seen family trees as anything humano-centric (sp?) though. If I were to say, for example "Cthlhu mated with Idyaa to produce Zoth-Ommog", I just have to keep in mind that: 1.) I have to throw gender applications out the window, as male and female are earthly terms for describing in and out bits on creatures. 2.) The mating itself is a totally unknown and alien act/way of "reproduction" and may not involve any physical insertion and 3.) they aren't a "family".

What i comes down to is a simple "They made it", which is good enough for me to make a lineage tree and doesn't take away the alien quality of the deities.

Though it is true that they could come into being in a way which isn't applicable to "They made it", but I don't worry about that as it is beyond my understanding.

And yeah, I think Cthulhu and Ghatanothoa are separate entities. The only way they could not be would be for them to be masks of the same entity (or a communal entity with multiple bodies like Yidhra, which is esentially the same) or something beyond my understanding, and thus not graspable in meaning, let alone word, by my primitive primate brains.

And there is the simple fact that this is mythology, in which all such relationships are representative of relationships between communities of worshippers rather than literal relationships.

That isn't neccessarily true either but point taken.

Unless the gods are talking to you, you only have human reports of such relationships. Ghatanathoa and Cthulhu are, from a folkloric point of view, identical. Massive evil entities imprisoned under the sea that destroy all who come in contact with them. The specifics from the stories that differentiate the two of them are barely even cosmetic. Likewise for Hastur and Quachil Uttaeus, Ubbo Sathla and Abhoth, etc., etc.

I once came up with a marvelously complex cosmology in which the Old Ones ([nauseated] Elder Things[/nauseated]) created our universe through creating Azathoth, expanded it and made it inhabitable through the creation of Yog-Sothoth, created Nyarlathotep to create worlds on their behalf and were actually responsible (directly mostly but sometimes indirectly) for the creation of every Outer God and Great Old One and every sentient race in the universe, but as with their creation of Shoggoths many of their creations escaped their control and came to be greater powers than themselves; made worse by the fact that ever since they came to the universe the Old Ones have been degenerating becoming less and less what they once were (the Great Old Ones were called that specifically because each had been an Old One that sought greater power and achieved it at the cost of being alienated from their species); not over generations, for there were no generations amongst the Old Ones each was present at the creation of the universe, but just over time as they were removed from whatever they originally came from. It was a wonderful scheme that I ultimately trashed because there was no way for PCs to discover it and I was too pleased with it not to want to keep sharing it with my players.

Go ahead and create whatever lineages you want, just don't think of any of them as "the truth" because that "truth" is not only not known but not knowable.

Victimizer

I realize what you're saying, but I create nothing. I document what others have created and put it in one place. I think that's important, because that way I don't muddle it up with my own theories.

And yes, in the case with Tsathoggua, the gods did "talk to me". As the narrator of that story was not a person but omniscient, and thus, I was omniscient and present when the god said so. At least in this one singular case.

You're of course correct that usually when a link between creatures is made, they are done by a human, however, since both the creature and the link in question are created by 1 person (the author, for example), I can take it as "truth". I also do not agree on the Ghatanothoa/cthulhu thing. They look totally different and appear in different regions, and since I am human and grasp things by differing visual/logical information, they are different entities.

Again, like I said before, I agree that this is all just based on how far a human can perceive these things; we simply aren't 5+ dimensional beings with above human intellects. But "a truth" might as well be "the truth" as there is no such thing.

By the way, I like your twist on the elder things/war in heaven. I personally always thought that the elder things had more of a hand in there than the elder gods, and while I wouldn't have gone so far as to say that they are "the" great old ones, it would/could make sense. Have you thought about simply introducing some of it as a handout for...I don't know...elder thingish stuff like the many pnakotic manuscripts around the world or writings in the mountains of madness? Or do you have more of a group like this: "Fluffy background stuff, meh, ah here is the clue we need to proceed - throws away paper - "?

Master_Forcide

My opinion mirrors ZootSoot's, in that I belive most of the Mythos family tree is bunk -- the product of insane occultists trying to fit the gods into a unifyed cosmology. I just can't see how two members of seperate races can mate and produce an offspring (the fact that said offsring often bears no resemblance to either parent is even stranger, and not in a good way). You can't even claim that this is the work of alien biologys, since the GOOs (apparently) follow standard bisexual reproduction like that found on Earth, even having Male and Female identities imposed on them.

That came out more "rant-y" than I expected. Feel free to ignore my views. :)

Wood

I've just read this thread through. I had to roll for 1D10 SAN loss.

My head hurts, and I hope you're all satisfied...

Victimizer

I certainly would be hehe.

I agree that the male/female distinctions should be ignored (or at least interpreted differently), but I don't see how it would be impossible for 2 Great Old Ones to "mate" and produce offspring. After all, they are beyond comprehension...

...though as an example, they could combine parts of their energy to form something new, or use some sort of "gene"splicing technique or perform a Shub-Niggurath rite, etc..

But since we're at it, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything here, I just felt that ZootSoot didn't understand fully what I was doing here, and explained it further.

If I were to live in the mythos reality, and be stupid/unlucky enough to study the mythos, I wouldn't neccessarily believe that the lineagae tree is viable, especially since it's main proponents are people that endorse the elements theory as well.

However since I'm studying a fictional universe, I have a certain advantage of being nigh-omnipotent, and have the chance to look at the cosmologies' blue-prints (like Clark ashton Smiths' Lineage tree or HPL's). Which I like to do on the side for fun.

The_Silent_One
I've just read this thread through. I had to roll for 1D10 SAN loss.

My head hurts, and I hope you're all satisfied...

Oooooooohhhh, 10! God, this forum will need to be cleaned :wink:. Shame. Just play a little NMH and you'll be shrieking Dhol Chants to the tune of "Ghost" :twisted:.

Victimizer

Still don't know where Ghadamon is from, but the Dho-Spawn is lifted from one of H.P.L's Letters to Mr. Finlay, an artist who did some work for weird tales.

but Klarkashton explains that he is not sure about the origins of Cthulhu, and that Ech-Pi-El should be consorted for further information (who has stated Nug as Cthulhus progenitor).

Is there anywhere on the net where I can read HPL's genealogy of his gods and great old ones?

I've read all sorts of familial linkages of mythos entities but I'd like to see what HPL thought up about his GOOs.

Kuroi Bohzu :?

Victimizer

I'm not sure I only have it in writing and have no scanner handy.

It goes like this tho':

Azathoth spawns Nyarlathotep, The nameless Mist/fog and The Darkness (both of the latter are better known under their latin names).

Nyarlathotep then is involved in a whole line of people (humans) which end in H.P. Lovecraft.

The tree then goes on to list Yog-Sothtoh under the nameless mist and Shub-Niggurath under the Darkness; however, it may be possible that this is coincidental and that the drawing is supposed to mean that Yog and Shub are Azathoths Spawn (however, I do not believe this as Silent One seems to have known of this without ever looking at this lineage tree).

Yog and Shub spawn Nug and Yeb.

Nug spawns cthulhu, whom in turn spawns a being by the name of Shaurash-ho (might be a mortal) whom spawns Yogash the ghoul, progenitor of The Snake K'baa (I kid you not!). K'baa's progeny, ghoth the digger (of the little people) joins with Viburnia (of the Nyarlathotep line) to birth H.P.L.'s ancestors.

Yeb spawns Tsathoggua whom spawns a being called Yabou, progenitor of Nush the eternal, father of Gilles Grenier (Lord of Averone) whom spawns the ancestors of Clark Ashton Smith.

----------------------------

There is also a small anecdote about cthulhu and Tsathoggua having been on earth before their respective progenitors (all 7 of them), and one about the Viburnia and Ghoth mating having been "a diabolic and indescribable tragedy".

If you'd like more details ask away. It is taken from the Selected Letters #617 and was written to Clark Ashton Smith.

I'll also be editing my family line on page one to include The Mother of Pus (born of Shub-Niggurath), putting Zu-Che-Quon under Ubbo-Sathla (read the reference in the book of iod) and mentioning the Singer from Dhol as a member of the court of Azathoth.. Handy little Malleus Monstrorum.

Beyond02

Verisimilitude is my mostly highly valued trait in the game. thus I tend to reject anything that requires my players to consciously acknowledge the fictionality of the world their characters inhabit.

The_Silent_One

It goes like this tho':

Azathoth spawns Nyarlathotep, The nameless Mist/fog and The Darkness (both of the latter are better known under their latin names).

Nyarlathotep then is involved in a whole line of people (humans) which end in H.P. Lovecraft.

The tree then goes on to list Yog-Sothtoh under the nameless mist and Shub-Niggurath under the Darkness; however, it may be possible that this is coincidental and that the drawing is supposed to mean that Yog and Shub are Azathoths Spawn (however, I do not believe this as Silent One seems to have known of this without ever looking at this lineage tree).

Yog and Shub spawn Nug and Yeb.

Nug spawns cthulhu, whom in turn spawns a being by the name of Shaurash-ho (might be a mortal) whom spawns Yogash the ghoul, progenitor of The Snake K'baa (I kid you not!). K'baa's progeny, ghoth the digger (of the little people) joins with Viburnia (of the Nyarlathotep line) to birth H.P.L.'s ancestors.

Yeb spawns Tsathoggua whom spawns a being called Yabou, progenitor of Nush the eternal, father of Gilles Grenier (Lord of Averone) whom spawns the ancestors of Clark Ashton Smith.

----------------------------

There is also a small anecdote about cthulhu and Tsathoggua having been on earth before their respective progenitors (all 7 of them), and one about the Viburnia and Ghoth mating having been "a diabolic and indescribable tragedy".

If you'd like more details ask away. It is taken from the Selected Letters #617 and was written to Clark Ashton Smith.

I'll also be editing my family line on page one to include The Mother of Pus (born of Shub-Niggurath), putting Zu-Che-Quon under Ubbo-Sathla (read the reference in the book of iod) and mentioning the Singer from Dhol as a member of the court of Azathoth.. Handy little Malleus Monstrorum.

Wha...? 1D4/2D4 SAN loss :wink:!

Victimizer

@zootsoot:

I see; If I could bring my players to do THAT, I'd be a happy keeper. The best I can do is to strike fear into some of the players. By "some" I mean two, and only if they're the only ones playing. Ah well, at least their characters are roleplayed fairly well (and thus gibbering from San loss).

It goes like this tho':

May Yog Sothoth bless you Victimizer, for your informative reply, and may leprous lamias and rugose vampires disgorge blood at your feet in honour of you! :)

Still don't know where Ghadamon is from, but the Dho-Spawn is lifted from one of H.P.L's Letters to Mr. Finlay, an artist who did some work for weird tales.

Ghadamon was created by Keith Herber for a dreamlands scenario.Wether he got the inspiration from an HPL letter or from his own mind, you will have to ask him. :)

Kuroi Bohzu

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this