Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zane

The new Doctor Who series

Gallowglass

Errm, just in case you hadn't twigged already SPOLERS AHEAD!!

I note that RTD wimped out and brought back Capt Jack.

Yeah - at first i thought 'bravo - killing minor characters - brave move. Not that I didn't like Cap'n Jack, I just think that if you're going to kill someone, kill them (unless you're a Timelord of course...)

That's one of the things that really grated on me - how come Jack warranted ressurrection by Ms Omnipotent, but the two Gamestation staff with speaking parts didn't? Or, from a scripting point of view, why not go for double jeopardy and have had both Jack AND the Doctor "saved" by Rose? Why be so clumsy as have him killed and then brought back so rapidly?

Why did the Dr go to all that trouble with the delta wave when all he had to do was remember Genesis of the Daleks and his actions therein.

A disappointing ending. Hopefully RTD won't write many of next series' episodes.

I don't think RTD is a bad writer per se, just can't write action. When Rose looked into the Tardis I assumed she was going to turn up with all the data for the delta wave, or set it up in advance, or in some way use the fact that she had a TIME MACHINE to fix things.

RTD was responsible for the shape of the season from a plot POV, which was admirable, and is to be applauded for the fine work he has done in (against the odds) re-inventing Dr Who for a new generation in a fashion that has also mostly pleased grumpy old gits like me.

But he also needs to go away, read, learn and inwardly digest the meaning of the phrase "deus ex machina" and why it is considered a bad thing... The last two stories (Boomtown and Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways) ended with terribly clumsy, lazy, unimaginative and unsatisfying plot devices (in fact, teh same plot device: the Tardis). As I said in another forum:

What bothers me is that given the same "inputs" (the series as broadcast upto the point the Doctor tricks Rose in to the Tardis and it has deposited her back on Earth in the present day) it wouldn't have taken much to produce a better (i.e. more satisfying, less deus ex-machina) ending with the same outputs.

For example: exploiting hanging threads like the "Super-Computer Virus that deletes all referencs to the Doctor" (which Mickey has but hasn't used), the Tardis's newly demonstrated (in this series) ability to materialise around specific targets and Roses' knowledge of the timeline it should surely have been possible for Rose to persuade the Tardis to come forward, use the virus to disrupt the Dalek's C&C systems, rescue the Doctor (plus D-Wave generator), materialise round the Emperor Dalek and use it, and the techno doohicky from Boomtown to refine the Delta Wave to zap all "Dalek" lifeforms, just in time to save Jack's life... Since Rose has crossed her own time line, she would then get gribbled by "technobabble" (possibly a Reaper, as seen in Fathers Day) and the Doctor sacrifices his current regeneration to save her...

Same final result, but the Tardis is not this all powerful re-writer of time (in which case, how come the timelords LOST the Time War?), we don't have cheesy resurrections of the dead, and we leave open the possibility of further Dalek appearances (as others may have slipped back through time)#.

I was definetly disappointed, and "The Christmas Invasion" is a terrible title for the Christmas special, but given high points like the episodes Dalek and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances I think it was a very good effort over all and I'm looking forward to the nest season - provided David Tennant stays for a few seasons (3 or 4 ideally, but at LEAST 2) and RTD stops using clumsy plot-devicing to resolve stories.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

# One of the OTHER minor irritations with the actual ending is that Ms Omnipotent's mucking about effectively precludes further Dalek stories as to do them will require excessive script-gymnastics to avoid the feeling that either The Parting of the Ways is being undermined or the script writers are cheating...

steve_w
Indeed - very disappointing and unsatisfying closure :(

I agree. It reminded me a lot of the conclusion to "The Stand" by Stephen King, which was a similarly unsatisfactory ending to a great story.

cynick
"The Christmas Invasion" is a terrible title for the Christmas special

And they're advertising it already 8O

"The countdown begins NOW", or some such tosh.

One of the OTHER minor irritations with the actual ending is that Ms Omnipotent's mucking about effectively precludes further Dalek stories as to do them will require excessive script-gymnastics to avoid the feeling that either The Parting of the Ways is being undermined or the script writers are cheating...

But there are all the other classic monsters to play about with. The Cybermen, and the, .... er, .... um, well the Cybermen anyway.

Ottomancer
For example: exploiting hanging threads like the "Super-Computer Virus that deletes all referencs to the Doctor" (which Mickey has but hasn't used), the Tardis's newly demonstrated (in this series) ability to materialise around specific targets and Roses' knowledge of the timeline it should surely have been possible for Rose to persuade the Tardis to come forward, use the virus to disrupt the Dalek's C&C systems, rescue the Doctor (plus D-Wave generator), materialise round the Emperor Dalek and use it, and the techno doohicky from Boomtown to refine the Delta Wave to zap all "Dalek" lifeforms, just in time to save Jack's life... Since Rose has crossed her own time line, she would then get gribbled by "technobabble" (possibly a Reaper, as seen in Fathers Day) and the Doctor sacrifices his current regeneration to save her...

I like your ending much better. I also thought the same thing about the Daleks: ''is that it then, no more Daleks?". Although there is always the chance of Adam and Dalek DNA/technology from the underground museum/lab being reunited...

Rusty-Spoon

First Pictures of the 10th Doctor . . .

t4.jpg

MarkMohrfield
For anyone who missed it you can catch the Children in Need mini-episode featuring David Tennat as the 10th Doctor @

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pudsey/appealnight/doctor_who_special.shtml

This is a short insert that takes place in the TARDIS just after regeneration . . .

After I get to the page and click the "play video" button, I just get a blank in the video player window. does this happen to anyone else ? (Being in America, I'm desparate for my Who fix!)

Neil
For anyone who missed it you can catch the Children in Need mini-episode featuring David Tennat as the 10th Doctor @

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pudsey/appealnight/doctor_who_special.shtml

This is a short insert that takes place in the TARDIS just after regeneration . . .

After I get to the page and click the "play video" button, I just get a blank in the video player window. does this happen to anyone else ? (Being in America, I'm desparate for my Who fix!)

works fine for me, have you got realplayer installed?

MarkMohrfield

works fine for me, have you got realplayer installed?

I had the player window set to windows media player rather than realplayer. works fine now that I changed it. thanks.

Rusty-Spoon

Just finished watching The Christmas Invasion, and any worries I may have had regarding David Tennant being a suitable Doctor seem to be unfounded - he was really good.

So, it's goodbye to the 9th Doctor, and welcome aboard to the 10th - I'm really looking forward to it . . . :D

Aurelius
Just finished watching The Christmas Invasion, and any worries I may have had regarding David Tennant being a suitable Doctor seem to be unfounded - he was really good.

So, it's goodbye to the 9th Doctor, and welcome aboard to the 10th - I'm really looking forward to it . . . :D

Completely agree... a few fairly naff lines, but also some classics, and nice 'teasers' for Torchwood as well.

shaggy

Loved the "tea incident".

kafka47

Dare I say, that Torchwood would make an excellent segway into a type of Delta Green Campaign played on British soil that would be part traditional Brit cop drama and hide behind your sofa excellent British SF? As Jack and company slowly unravel the hidden secrets that Man was not meant to know about....their SAN slowly fades away...