Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zane

The new Doctor Who series

Nodens

I am thrilled to hear that the new show has promise. I am also glad to read about the good Doctor here at this site, of all places. :P

As a complete geek, :roll: when it comes to Dr. Who, I look forward to watching the new series. I'm an American in Malaysia right now so I don't think I'll be able to enjoy the series for a while. I just hope that the BBC can do better than, who was it..., Lionheart(?) when it comes to bringing the series to America.

I have most of the original shows on VHS and have watched them all, too many times over the last 20 years...

I agree with most that Sylvester McCoy was a poor Doctor. I will take that one step further by saying that Sylvester McCoy was not the Doctor. Come on, even Colin Baker's Doctor (if he was indeed the next worst) had the Doctor's 'human' side in his personality. McCoy's was so far removed from anything resembling the Doctor that it must have been something different. Even Richard Hundrell (RIP) was more convincing, and he was only the Doctor for one show.

Favorite Lovecraftian Episode? Seeds of Doom (Tom Baker era)

Finally, it should be stated that the Master died with Roger Delgado.

Gallowglass
The new Doctor is really the Master and we'll only see the true Doctor in Series 2: Dr Cassanova?

Noooooooo - not that Casanova bloke as the Doctor. As my nephew said to be last weekend "He looks a bit like a rat." He's just plain wrong for the role of Dr Who IMO (and that's just my opinion, I may be proved wrong).

Actually, I think he might work rather well - there is something about David Tennant that reminds me of Patrick Troughton, who is always rather underrated in these sorts of discussions. David Tennant is a fine actor, and if he is to follow Chris Eccelston, I think a contrasting character is essential: my concern with Patterson Joseph is precisely that actually people are thinking of the Marquis - and that's a personality to close to eccelston's Doctor (and previous incarnations). Albeit, he's certainly an actor Russel T Davis should talk to for the future...

But given the constant references being dropped to this Time War, and the fact that Russel T Davis quite obviously knew the terms of Chris Eccleston's contract from the get go (i.e. only one season was actually gaurunteed) I will be stunned if he hasn't left himself an escape clause for just this eventuality. Given he set the overall framework for this first run of stories, I am increasingly convinced that this season was always intended to build to a bloody great crisis which could leave the Doctor being forced in to a regeneration: thus leaving a get out clause for Chris Eccleston and building in the option of showing regeneration in the Christmas special...

After all, regeneration from one incarnation to teh next is the one key feature of the mythology that the new series hasn't shown us...

Cheers

Nick Middleton

Bruinsfan

I guess I'm just not a traditionalist, but I'd love to see them switch genders as many speculated back in the day - just think of the potential story goldmine of having Maggie Smith (or whoever) as the Doctor interacting with former companions, allies, and even enemies who aren't familiar with Time Lord biology. Can't you just see the reaction Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart would have?

Rusty-Spoon
I guess I'm just not a traditionalist, but I'd love to see them switch genders

You might as well go the whole hog, and charge his species - I quite fancy the Doctor as a dog !!! I can see it now . . .

Rose: Doctor, What's wrong ?

Doctor Dog: Woof! Ruff! Ruff!

Rose: So, the Daleks have invaded, and little Billy has fallen down a mine shaft . . . ?

Pure genius !!! :P :lol: :P :lol:

Rusty-Spoon

Noooooooo - not that Casanova bloke as the Doctor. As my nephew said to be last weekend "He looks a bit like a rat."

I have to say that it doesn't seem to have done Tom Cruise career any harm !!! :wink:

Ottomancer

Don't get me started on the Cruisemeister!

:lol:

Nodens
Don't get me started on the Cruisemeister!

Yes indeed, the last Samurai in all of Japan... Tom Cruise. :roll:

Mr_Lin
my concern with Patterson Joseph is precisely that actually people are thinking of the Marquis - and that's a personality to close to eccelston's Doctor (and previous incarnations). Albeit, he's certainly an actor Russel T Davis should talk to for the future...

I thought Paterson Joseph was great as Alan the manager in "Peep Show". His performance had this really contained, dangerous quality about it. If he did something similar in Dr Who I think he'd be pretty good.

It's been said before, but I'd quite like to see David Warner get the job.

Rusty-Spoon

I see David Warner has been chosen to replace David McCallum in the new Sapphire & Steel audio adventures from Big Finish, which should be good.

Gallowglass
my concern with Patterson Joseph is precisely that actually people are thinking of the Marquis - and that's a personality to close to eccelston's Doctor (and previous incarnations). Albeit, he's certainly an actor Russel T Davis should talk to for the future...

I thought Paterson Joseph was great as Alan the manager in "Peep Show". His performance had this really contained, dangerous quality about it. If he did something similar in Dr Who I think he'd be pretty good.

I did some more mulling over Patterson Joseph and have warmed more to the idea because I remebered his turn in Casualty: a really engaging piece of soap acting. Add that to Peep Show (which I'd also not remembered properly) and Neverwhere and one cannot question his range nor facility for intensity. But equally, the more I've pieced together David Tennant's resume, the more comfortable I am with him the next Doctor. On the proviso that he does a decent run of 3 or 4 "seasons" anyway.

I think Russel T Davis' instinct for a younger actor was spot on - for a new generation the "strange old man" mtoif wouldn't have worked so well. David Warner could have carried it off (as could Alan Rickman amongst others) but the time has passed alas.

Have you seen the Babylon 5 episode with David Warner as the last of a monastic order seeking the Holy Grail? Beautifully understated performance (especially from the man who played Evil in Time Bandits, a glorious piece of scenary chewing ;) ). I wish someone would make a new live action Sapphire and Steel - I think Warner would work very well in that...

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

Zane
But equally, the more I've pieced together David Tennant's resume, the more comfortable I am with him the next Doctor. On the proviso that he does a decent run of 3 or 4 "seasons" anyway.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I'd actually seen anything with him in it recently. Looking at the list of what he's been in, the *only* thing I've seen is the episode of "The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries" he was in back in '99. Still, the picture I saw of him at a Doctor Who website yesterday makes him look more acceptable than the one I'd previously seen. Plus I saw where he credits Doctor Who with getting him interested in acting, so this could very well be his dream job, and one that if he's allowed to, he'll stick with for a good long while. That would be nice.

One thing I find interesting is that it looks like they might be doing something of a story arc with the current season of Doctor Who. I thought the beginning of last nights episode was brilliant! (I haven't seen the rest yet) Of course they have done arcs before, just not like this seems to be.

Zane

Gallowglass
But equally, the more I've pieced together David Tennant's resume, the more comfortable I am with him the next Doctor. On the proviso that he does a decent run of 3 or 4 "seasons" anyway.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I'd actually seen anything with him in it recently. Looking at the list of what he's been in, the *only* thing I've seen is the episode of "The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries" he was in back in '99. Still, the picture I saw of him at a Doctor Who website yesterday makes him look more acceptable than the one I'd previously seen. Plus I saw where he credits Doctor Who with getting him interested in acting, so this could very well be his dream job, and one that if he's allowed to, he'll stick with for a good long while. That would be nice.

He's been in several Big Finish Audio Doctor Who stories and I believe played Luther Arkwright in the Big Finish Audio adaptation...

One thing I find interesting is that it looks like they might be doing something of a story arc with the current season of Doctor Who. I thought the beginning of last nights episode was brilliant! (I haven't seen the rest yet) Of course they have done arcs before, just not like this seems to be.

Something is definetly building - leaving aside the "Time War" stuff, there's been two references to "the Big Bad Wolf" which intrigue me. And last night was great - a proper Doctor Who cliff hanger ending!

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

Morthrai

After this week's episode, I feel compelled to say something that thus far seems to have passed by even my much more learned and Whovian compatriots who frequent this esteemed internet forums upon which I am even now posting...

YAY! RUBBER ALIENS! w00t :lol:

At last! Sod the Daleks...green rubbery aliens, just what I was waiting for.

:D

Zane
Something is definetly building - leaving aside the "Time War" stuff, there's been two references to "the Big Bad Wolf" which intrigue me. And last night was great - a proper Doctor Who cliff hanger ending!

Which episodes have had references to "the Big Bad Wolf"?

Zane

ninthcouncil

Zane

In this weekend's episode, a kid spraypainted "Bad Wolf" on the side of the TARDIS while it was parked on Rose's estate. Can't remember the other, though it rings a bell.

The "story arc" is looking interesting, and is enabled by having the same writer (Russell Davis) in control of most of the episodes - of the four so far, only the Cardiff ghost story wasn't by him (that was Mark Gatiss, of League of Gentlemen infamy).

I take it Victorian Cardiff was a pretty rough place - certainly the locals didn't seem unduly perturbed by the sudden explosion of the local undertakers! :lol:

Mr_Lin

I did some more mulling over Patterson Joseph and have warmed more to the idea because I remebered his turn in Casualty: a really engaging piece of soap acting. Add that to Peep Show (which I'd also not remembered properly) and Neverwhere and one cannot question his range nor facility for intensity. But equally, the more I've pieced together David Tennant's resume, the more comfortable I am with him the next Doctor. On the proviso that he does a decent run of 3 or 4 "seasons" anyway.

I thought he was good as the suave computer tech in Green Wing as well. Very versatile actor. Probably quite underrated.

Have you seen the Babylon 5 episode with David Warner as the last of a monastic order seeking the Holy Grail?

It rings a bell but I can't really remember anything about it. There was a real glut of sci-fi on TV about five to six years ago and trying to recall specific details is a bit tricky. The memories of B5, DS9, TNG, the Outer Limits etc seem to have coalesced into an amorphous, shoggoth like whole in my brain.

I wish someone would make a new live action Sapphire and Steel - I think Warner would work very well in that...

He always brings a touch of class to whatever he's in, even when it's not very satisfactory otherwise.

cynick

In this weekend's episode, a kid spraypainted "Bad Wolf" on the side of the TARDIS while it was parked on Rose's estate. Can't remember the other, though it rings a bell.

Spoiler:

The other episode was the Victorian Zombie one. The maid mentioned the phrase when she was reading Rose's mind.

HJ

We'll find out what David Tennant is like next year. The Beeb's signed him up.

Mr_Lin

It was good how they looked like traditional Greys only with a case of morbid obesity. They've obviously been on Earth long enough to adapt to the great British diet of Chips, Turkey Twizzlers and crap lager. That would also explain their gastric troubles.

Ottomancer
We'll find out what David Tennant is like next year. The Beeb's signed him up.

Aye - to be honest, despite my reservations, i will still watch it. Saturday's episode 'Aliens of London' was v.good. Finally an episode with a classic 'cliffhanger into the Doctor Who music' moment.

:)

Rusty-Spoon

It was good how they looked like traditional Greys only with a case of morbid obesity. They've obviously been on Earth long enough to adapt to the great British diet of Chips, Turkey Twizzlers and cr*** lager. That would also explain their gastric troubles.

Perhaps the personality of 10th Doctor will be that of a mockney geezer chef . . . :lol:

Bruinsfan

suddenly has mental image of Dick van Dyke as the new Doctor and runs screaming into the wilderness...

ninthcouncil

It was good how they looked like traditional Greys only with a case of morbid obesity. They've obviously been on Earth long enough to adapt to the great British diet of Chips, Turkey Twizzlers and cr*** lager. That would also explain their gastric troubles.

Perhaps the personality of 10th Doctor will be that of a mockney geezer chef . . . :lol:

Just be glad Alan Davies didn't get the gig. I mean, I like the guy, but he'd have been terrible.

Ottomancer
suddenly has mental image of Dick van Dyke as the new Doctor and runs screaming into the wilderness...

"Cripes Rose, there's a storm blowing up and naw mistake... chim chiminy...chim chim cheroooo...."