Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zane

The new Doctor Who series

Zane

OK, I've been wanting to ask all day, and finally have a chance. Due to the high number of people here that are in the UK, this seems like a good place to ask. What are people's thoughts of the new Dr. Who show now that it's officially out?

In my case I've been expecting the worst, but hoping for the best.

Zane

The_Usernameless_Horror

Brilliant. Absolutely excellent. The SFX are great, the characters are good and the Doctor is wonderful ('You can't just swan off like this!' 'Yes I can, look at me, swanning off.')

The new focus on action is good too (Rose and the Doctor are dropped right into the action, and he seems pretty good at it, as in when an alien masquerading as Rose's boyfriend interrogates her as to where the Doctor is, and he turns out to have been standing behind him the whole time.)

Hooray! :8E:

Rusty-Spoon

I don't think Doctor Who fans are going to have too much to worry about - Russel T. Davis is a very well know and respected TV writer in the UK, and a huge Who fan, and as Executive Producer seems to have produced the goods here.

Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor has a more modern look to him then previous incarnations; but his manner struck me as somewhere between that of Patrick Troughton with Tom Baker, being both alien and a bit cheeky. Despite some reservations about Billie Piper as the new assistant Rose Tyler she was fun, feisty, sexy.

The updated TARDIS wasn't too much - it was certainly recogniseable as such, plus the SFX were fine, and sets didn't wobble once.

The only real change I would have liked to have seen is that this introduction episode was a self contained 45 minute story, and it did feel perhaps a bit rushed ( intro to Rose, The Doctor, The Tardis, AND an Auton invasion ) - I would have liked to have seen it either as a 2 parter, or a feature length story; however this is only because I wanted to see more of the same.

So, welcome Doctor Who to the 21st Century - I've already reserved my spot behind the sofa for next Saturday night.

ThothAmon

My original watching era was John Pertwee / Tom Baker and that's a hard combo to follow. For this one I deliberately kept my expectations low, avoided all hype and I refused to buy into the fanboy BS.

The first episode was essentially a four parter condensed into a single 45 minute run. As an intro it served quite well and it was probably necessary given that it has been 16 years(ish) since Dr Who aired regularly on terrestrial TV and there is a new audience for the series to grab.

The writing showed a healthy slice of dark humour and the screenplay wasn't bad. Performances were good. Chris Ecclestone has always been very watchable, he will make an excellent Doctor if the BBC give him a chance. Billie Piper was better than expected, a sidekick who isn't annoying. The bad guys were suitably low budget pulpy (one of the more Mythos-esque Dr Who villains - the protoplasmic Nestene Consciousness and the Autons) and the sets / locations were well chosen. The new TARDIS interior was quite Gothic, the new theme is acceptable (leans heavily to the original Pertwee / Baker theme), and the only (very minor) niggle was the opening titles.

All in all it was a good start that will hopefully set the tone for the new series. This Dr Who hasn't been subjected to 'dumbing down' for American audiences nor has it been given gratuitous gore / T & A.

Thoth says ignore all obsessed fanboys - Dr Who never was (and never will be) Shakespeare - just kick back and enjoy the fact that the spectre of Sylvester McCoy is being exorcized on prime time TV.

Rusty-Spoon
kick back and enjoy the fact that the spectre of Sylvester McCoy is being exorcized on prime time TV.

Harsh - I think that the Colin Baker days were worse by far !!! :(

Gallowglass
kick back and enjoy the fact that the spectre of Sylvester McCoy is being exorcized on prime time TV.

Meh! Everyone has there favourite - determined largely by how old they are (so which Doctor they were at the key age to catch the series) and how much they liked re-runs (Tom Baker did it for longest, so there are a LOT of Tom Baker episodes). Having filled my sundays in the early nineties watching the UK Gold re-runs as an adult, I was surprised to find that there is merit in every Doctor, even Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy... just as they all had their flaws (Jon Pertwee's desire to be James Bond, or Tom Baker's cavalier attitude to scripts for example).

I was mildly sceptical about the new series, but kept seeing snippets that looked hopeful. And frankly, I think they've done a cracking job - I enjoyed it immensely and so did my ten year old and twelve year old. It had a few minor irritations but considering how awful it could have been, or how clumsily it could have tried to abandon it's past, I think they did rather well.

The Doctor has a little speech about being able to feel the world turning - its the quietest bit of Ecclestone's performance in this first episode and for me the best: because it brough a real frisson of otherworldly sense of wonder to the scene, and for me that's what's key about Doctor Who.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

thetragicclown

I really wanted to see the new series because I was quite a fan of Doctor Who as a kid. Sure it was the much maligned Sylvester McCoy era, but it still had some very memorable episodes ("The Greatest Show in the Galaxy" being one of my particular faves). Another reason I wanted to see it is because one of the writers, Russell T Davies, also created "Century Falls", which was another of my favourite shows as a kid along with "Dark Season" (also created by Mr Davies). Century Falls in particular was quite eerie, and looking back I think it would make an interesting Cthulhu scenario.

Fallingtower

Grease up your Dalek, take your 15 foot scarf out of mothballs and get your sonic screwdriver out of hock...Who is back.

If you're lucky enough.....

CBC (Canada) is going to be showing the New Dr. Who.

For those of you who are Canadian and/or close enough to pick up Canadian TV signals rejoice! April 5th 8pm is the premier.

Zane

Meh! Everyone has there favourite - determined largely by how old they are (so which Doctor they were at the key age to catch the series) and how much they liked re-runs (Tom Baker did it for longest, so there are a LOT of Tom Baker episodes). Having filled my sundays in the early nineties watching the UK Gold re-runs as an adult, I was surprised to find that there is merit in every Doctor, even Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy... just as they all had their flaws (Jon Pertwee's desire to be James Bond, or Tom Baker's cavalier attitude to scripts for example).

I'm apparently a bit odd in the fact that I like Sylvester McCoy's Doctor, he's not my favorite but he was pretty good. I really didn't care for Colin Baker. My favorite is probably Tom Baker or Jon Pertwee. I started watching Doctor Who with the first Tom Baker story, and I think I've seen everything that still exists (and is complete). I've also read a lot of the books, and have been getting the Magazine for the last 20+ years (what's up with no comic strip in it this month).

What frightens me, was that I ran across someone last weekend that liked Paul McGann's Doctor! Though I suppose that the fact I'm in the US might have something to do with there being such a person. I've always viewed the 8th Doctor as something of a Travesty.

Zane

Zane
For those of you who are close enough to pick up Canadian TV signals rejoice! April 5th 8pm is the premier.

Argh!!! There is still no sign of anyone picking up Doctor Who in the US as far as I know.

Zane

Rusty-Spoon
What frightens me, was that I ran across someone last weekend that liked Paul McGann's Doctor! Though I suppose that the fact I'm in the US might have something to do with there being such a person. I've always viewed the 8th Doctor as something of a Travesty.

To be fair McGann as the 8th Doctor finished before it started, although it was sad that rather then giving him his own personna they just kind of ripped off their favorite bits of earlier ones ( Sonic Screw Driver, Jelly Babies, etc. ); and the half-human thing was just crappy !!!

Morthrai

Well, I didn't see it.

Not really bothered either even though I thought I would be cheesed off if I missed it, but I hope it really is back to stay 8)

The_Usernameless_Horror
For those of you who are close enough to pick up Canadian TV signals rejoice! April 5th 8pm is the premier.

Argh!!! There is still no sign of anyone picking up Doctor Who in the US as far as I know.

Zane

I think that Doctor Who may have too many UK in-jokes in the new series for networks to consider it, plus too many of the UK accents and locations despised by the US networks. Although the new focus on action is likely to appeal to them.

Danforth

Have not really much to add to the above but will say I enjoyed the new show. I do agree that it was rushed. I would like to have seen more development of the autons as fo their part it was a simplified recreation of the Pertwee story 'Spearhead from Space'. Ecclestone was a likeable Doctor and Bllie Piper was quite effective as Rose. I think the market the producers are aiming at are the family and it did come across as more childish than old Who. This is essentially ok as this is what Doctor Who is

and should appeal to a general audience and not old fanboys like me. The only scene which irritated myself and my friends watching was the wheelie bin burping scene. That smelled too much of a George Lucasian Jar Jar Binks moment. I think the best thing about this episode is that it will not be seen in isolation-we will see 12 other episodes. This is a series not a one off like the McGann movie. Am looking forward to the rest of the series. Danforth.

Mr_Lin

In fairness to both Sylvester McCoy and Colin Baker their tenures as the Doctor were afflicted by cheap production values and dismal writing. I think both of them made the best of a bad job. As an aside, I thought Sylvester McCoy was really funny in Rab C Nesbitt when he guest starred as Rab's bampot/genius brother.

red_bus
I think the best thing about this episode is that it will not be seen in isolation-we will see 12 other episodes. This is a series not a one off like the McGann movie. Am looking forward to the rest of the series. Danforth.

absooolutely. it was quite good, but the trailers for some of the next ones look better!! Oh, and to come flying Daleks too :evil: :evil:

ps. 10 Million was the viewing figure, which isn't bad for Saturday night.

richardwatts

I wonder how long it will take the ABC to pick it up for screening here in Australia? *frets*

vortex
I wonder how long it will take the ABC to pick it up for screening here in Australia? *frets*

My understanding was that the recent repeats will lead straight into the new series. ie when the ABC finishes screening all of the old ones again we will get the new ones.

The_Usernameless_Horror

I have a plan to run a mythosified Doctor Who adventure in our campaign - basically;

- The Doctor is replaced by a rogue Yithian. This rebellious alien has had his cone-being body destroyed and he is trapped in human form, although he has all the knowledge and powers one would associate with the Great Race. This guy is currently in my campaign, acting as an advisor character while concealing his true nature.

- The Yithians are planning an invasion of human history. These Yithians are a faction who will not escape with the Yithian elite into the Coelopteran bodies - they plan to take over humanity instead. This may lead to Yithian cone-beings coming forward to our own time using stasis cubes or gates. These evil Yithians = Daleks.

Yith: Invasion Earth.

Danforth

I have mixed Who and Cthulhu once (Cthulwho anyone?) where it was a sequel to a Victorian Cthulhu adventure (Plant y Daer) printed in Sacraments of Evil. It entailed a professor's efforts to learn the secrets of the degenerate sepent people living in Wales. He wished to link with them and gain their powers. At the end of the adventure, it was revealed that the professor was the Master. The adventure tried to explain where the Master had gained his serpent like powers as seen in the Paul McGann movie. The Doctor has not appeared in my adventures yet but I do believe the Pertwee Doctor would not be out of place in a Victorian Gentlemen's club. I have used the Yith in a Doctor Who adventure but purely as a benign force. The Sea Devils have an obvious link to the Deep ones and the Dr Who novels have mentioned that the Sea Devils worship Dagon. Cthulhu beings lead themselves to the Who treatment and to be fair to the S. McCoy era-his doctor was a darker being and you could imagine him fighting Cthulhoid entities. He did so many times in the books and in the series. The Gods of Ragnarok and Fenric could both be personifications of Lovecraft's gods. Danforth.

HJ

I think the major downside of the new series is the short format for the stories to be developed. Forty five minutes to tell a story is too short IMO.

Dr Who has had many childish phases in the past and it's far darker periods. And it'll be interesting to see how the new series balances everything.

Both Chris Ecclestone and Billie Piper gave good performances and seem very comfortable with their roles.

With regards to Colin Baker - a while ago he stared in a series called The Stranger with Nicola Bryant, which was a lot darker. I'm pretty sure that the company that did them spawned into Big Audio who do the current DW audio stories.

The books series has had a few Cthulhu influenced stories - "White Darkness" from memory wasn't bad.

As a point of interest although Paul McGann didn't get a chance to explore the role on TV, there are more 8th Dr novels, comics and audio stories than any other Dr.

Roll on Saturday nights - I'm looking forward to letting my baby son watch in a few years.

HJ

Sacha

The BBC has confirmed that there will be second series, but Christopher Ecclestone has said he will not reprise the role due to its rigorous demands. Shame really, I thought he was excellent on initial inspection. At this rate we'll run out of regenerations.

Cheers,

Sacha

cynick

I'll agree with all the comments that say it was good but rushed. The introductory episode (at least) should have been much longer.

I think they missed a bit of a trick with the conspiracy theorist though - he could have had a few pictures of the other Doctors scattered about...

ninthcouncil
I'll agree with all the comments that say it was good but rushed. The introductory episode (at least) should have been much longer.

I think they missed a bit of a trick with the conspiracy theorist though - he could have had a few pictures of the other Doctors scattered about...

I thought it was a pity they (apparently) killed the Mark Benton character off - he could have been a recurring irritation for the Doctor whenever he returned to early 21st Century Earth. As for the other Doctor pics - that would have been difficult to justify without unnecessarily complexifying things, as it was the multiple appearances of these apparently similar people that had alerted him in the first place.

At this rate we'll run out of regenerations.

Perhaps that dangerous 9th regeneration is unstable? That could lead to some interesting situations....

Rose: "What have you done with the Doctor?"

Doctor: "What do you mean? I am the Doctor!"

Rose: "Then why do you suddenly look like Graham Norton?*"

Doctor (looking in a mirror): "Eek!"

* Please note that I am not, absolutely NOT, suggesting that Graham Norton should be the next Doctor Who.

cynick

I thought it was a pity they (apparently) killed the Mark Benton character off - he could have been a recurring irritation for the Doctor whenever he returned to early 21st Century Earth. As for the other Doctor pics - that would have been difficult to justify without unnecessarily complexifying things, as it was the multiple appearances of these apparently similar people that had alerted him in the first place.

Another reason to have the story extended perhaps.

"There are also all these other people who claimed to be The Doctor throughout history. Maybe it's some sort of CULT!"

At this rate we'll run out of regenerations.

Perhaps that dangerous 9th regeneration is unstable? That could lead to some interesting situations....

Rose: "What have you done with the Doctor?"

Doctor: "What do you mean? I am the Doctor!"

Rose: "Then why do you suddenly look like Graham Norton?*"

Doctor (looking in a mirror): "Eek!"

* Please note that I am not, absolutely NOT, suggesting that Graham Norton should be the next Doctor Who.

I think they should go with the Joanna Lumley version :twisted: