Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Agent_Donald

Is there a setting unsuitable for CoC

Agent_Donald

For some reasons I can't imagine a Cowboys and Indians setting with the Mythos in it.

I know that there was a scenario with an undead Native American shaman in the Cthulhu Casebook but I thought the scenario was very silly.

Do you have a setting or time period where you have a hard time adding the Mythos to it?

GBSteve

Paul Fricker ran a damn good Western Cthulhu game at Continuum last year. It was well strange and wonderful involving indians, caves, oceans, split timelines...

I'm not sure there's anything that can't be cthulhu-ed, is there anything from which horror cannot flow? I've done gamers on their way to a convention and children's puppets. I've played cats and Dad's Army.

red_bus

aaargh, I can't get a "Cthulhu Tellytubbies" out of my head now 8O 8O

(bangs head off desk at work)

GreveMagnus

I ran a short "Gaslight USA" campaign a year or two ago. It went fine. I don't see that the Old West is in any way unsuitable.

In fact, I have a hard time thinking of any historical era or geographical location that couldn't be made to work. The only limitation I can think of is if the Keeper chooses a setting that is so obscure that the players find they can't get into it.

rylehNC
For some reasons I can't imagine a Cowboys and Indians setting with the Mythos in it.

There was a Deadlands/CoC crossover module not too long ago....

Abandoned mines, ghost towns, men in black (hats): outside of Deep Ones I'd say everything is fair game.

GBSteve

Actually it was Camberwick Green. I'm a 30 something (just!). The Firemen from Trumpton were the PCs, Bagpus and the Clangers made an appearance too.

Gallowglass

I know that there was a scenario with an undead Native American shaman in the Cthulhu Casebook but I thought the scenario was very silly.

Do you have a setting or time period where you have a hard time adding the Mythos to it?

Auschwitz, especially with players who are related to survivors or victims... But I'd have a hard time gaming that anyway.

I can imagine referencing Cthulhu ideas in just about any setting, but whether the result would be a "horror/Cthulhu-dominant" feel or the other setting with added tentacles is another matter.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

Roucheau

I've never run one set in the Old West, but right off the top of my head I can see visions of Servants of Yig, Serpent Men, Medicine men who have access to real magic, Sacrifices of palefaces to dark gods. Ghostriders in the sky and other places, Mi-Go trading copper for kidnapped settlers with the local tribes for protection from the "Long Knives." The mind boggles at the possibilities. The Mythos is EVERYWHERE and everyWHEN.

cjbowser

Abandoned mines, ghost towns, men in black (hats): outside of Deep Ones I'd say everything is fair game.

Otherwise known as Adios a-mi-go.

There's also "The Evil Gun" from Blood Brother's Two.

Both fun, and not too corny.

GreveMagnus

Otherwise known as Adios a-mi-go.

There's also "The Evil Gun" from Blood Brother's Two.

Both fun, and not too corny.

Worlds of Cthulhu is also going to feature a Cthulhu Wild West article and scenario at some point I believe. The German version of the scenario doesn't feature any Mythos stuff, being more like a spaghetti western in feel. But there is a follow-up to it, "The Golden Scorpion", which does feature horror elements and is loads of fun. I hope this gets translated and published too.

There's also a systemless scenario out there on the net somewhere, "Cray Canyon Cold Snap", which has Ithaqua written all over it...

I think this setting has a lot of potential.

EDIT: Yep, here's a link to that scenario, Cray Canyon Cold Snap, just in case anybody's interested...

cjbowser

Also, let us not forget the Cthulhu Rodeo! Yeee Haw!!!!!! Giddy up lil' shoggy!

cornelius

WD 90 had a scenario called " Spirit of the Mountain " which featured native american shamans and the mythos , good source of ideas for integrating the mythos for a Wild West game

Agent_Donald

So it is just me then that has a hardtime mixing the Wild West and the Mythos? :)

AdamAstonbury

On one hand, I can see what you are getting at.

Deadlands, while excellent fun as a horror / western crossover (with all of its undead gunslingers, weird science etc) doesn't quite hit a truly Lovecraftian tone - even though there are some common elements (IIRC the whole 'Deadlands' setting arose when Indian shamen summoned up spirits/demons from the 'other side') .

But I do think there is scope for 'proper' Cthulhu Mythos mayhem in a Wild West setting.

It's another fascinating period of history, and there are lots of 'Wild West' staples that could be given a proper Mythos twist..e.g. renegade Indian tribes worshipping Yig, greedy mine owners/miners tunnelling/digging where they shouldn't be, disappearing wagon trains, weird religous sects fleeing 'persecution' in the Old World etc etc

chuft

Oh come on, even HPL was into Westerns. From At the Mountains of Madness:

Thereafter the sculptures showed a period in which Shoggoths were tamed and broken by armed Old Ones as the wild horses of the American west were tamed by cowboys.

:mrgreen:

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Why limit the Mythos dabbling to the Native Americans? How about settlers bringing in their outre beliefs and conniving ways from the Old World and the East Coast?

For an excellent primer on living in the Old West (it wasn't like living on the Ponderosa folks), I'd like to reference HBO's "Deadwood" (with all of the colorful language!) and the "Jim Jarmusch's Deadman."

Check out this link for rules on Movie Western style showdowns!

Black-Seal-Editor

Wild West Cthulhu is just like Gaslight; just the brutality is in the wide open rather than concealed by genteel society.

I've never run one set in the Old West, but right off the top of my head I can see visions of Servants of Yig, Serpent Men, Medicine men who have access to real magic, Sacrifices of palefaces to dark gods. Ghostriders in the sky and other places, Mi-Go trading copper for kidnapped settlers with the local tribes for protection from the "Long Knives." The mind boggles at the possibilities. The Mythos is EVERYWHERE and everyWHEN.

Exactly! Spot on Rocheau.

Worlds of Cthulhu is also going to feature a Cthulhu Wild West article and scenario at some point I believe. The German version of the scenario doesn't feature any Mythos stuff, being more like a spaghetti western in feel. But there is a follow-up to it, "The Golden Scorpion", which does feature horror elements and is loads of fun. I hope this gets translated and published too.

Worlds of Cthulhu #2 has stuff for the Wild West, and it's coming out soon. The Golden Scorpion is on our list of scenarios to print as well and should appear in issue 3 or 4.

I've been quite taken with Wild West Cthulhu, and if some contributors can be persuaded to finish an article there will be more on the subject in later issues of Worlds. I even pitched the idea of a Wild West supplement to Frank Heller of Pegasus, though this would be in German only. Its the ideal expansion to Gaslight as everyone has seen at least one cowboy movie and know the conventions of the genre.

Kiyohira

The Korean manga Priest by Min Woo Hyung covers supernatural horror in the wild west very well indeed... highly recommended reading.

if_i_was_a_ghoul

Well, its not a period, but I played a game that was set in the show "Viccar of Dibbley" (A Brittish comedy that is big here in MA). It was going fine untill the NPC "Emmit" (the farmer) got drunk and pissed off a Deep One hybrid and the good viccar read an unholy tombe. Funny as **** though.

Rusty-Spoon

Actually it was Camberwick Green. I'm a 30 something (just!). The Firemen from Trumpton were the PCs, Bagpus and the Clangers made an appearance too.

I've played in this when Steve has run it, and it is very, very silly !!! :P I have also played in and run Paul's How the West was Lost Wild West Cthulhu, and it works really well.

phobia
Why limit the Mythos dabbling to the Native Americans? How about settlers bringing in their outre beliefs and conniving ways from the Old World and the East Coast?

For an excellent primer on living in the Old West (it wasn't like living on the Ponderosa folks), I'd like to reference HBO's "Deadwood" (with all of the colorful language!) and the "Jim Jarmusch's Deadman."

Check out this link for rules on Movie Western style showdowns!

This is easily HBO's best series ever. I cant wait for the new season to start in March.

Langdale

The evil comes from a curse placed on Aztec gold, carried by conquistadors that fled north on the night when the Aztecs tried to wipe them out of the capital, and eventually buried it in north america, say Arizona or New Mexico before finally dying.

Gold & Blood/Hand In Hand

Cursed Wealth

Across The Land

12 Men Fled

4 Men Died

Greed Is What

Controls All Man

Their Plans were Made

Only 8 Men Knew

Where Aztec Treasure Laid

The Desert Took The 7

Scattered Their Bones

Beneath A Blazing Sun

1 Rest With A Kings Ransom

Where Heaven Touches Sky

Corruption Stretches

Forth Its Hand

Across The Rainbow Sands.

Wrote that and a bunch of other poems for a CoC western game that I've planned on running for quite some time.

Mithras

We should set a challenge - What would be the hardest setting to shoe-horn in Mythos material?

(Respect where it's due, even the Holocaust is brilliantly covered by horror gaming in Black Dog Game Factory's "Charnel Houses of Europe: the Shoah" for Wraith- just a short move to include the Mythos themes).

There is a dawning realization here: is the Cthulhu Mythos concept so pliable, the genre so open-ended that all corners of human experience can be touched by it!? It's the weird fiction equivalent of Goggle! Does anyone else find the idea that the Lovecraftian 'brand' is so flexible and universal unsettling?

It also opens up a separate line of discourse: what is it exactly that makes these ideas so able to slot in anywhere, anywhen? When you pull off all the textural scaffolding of place & period, boil it down to its very essence, what is the Cthulhu Mythos?

My personal stance is that it's about the concept of the 'alien'; a very specific paradigm-enforced signifier. You talk about 'beings from other distant worlds' (and dimensions) in the pre-modern era, and you've just introduced a whole slew of cosmological insights they didn't develop yet. This makes Lovecraft as essential as T. S. Eliot to the understanding of 20th century Modernism. Animistic and Transcendentalist views of the universe disallow a horror of 'the outside' - it's just the intervention of spirit, demons and the gods.

I wonder if when we finally meet intelligences from outside our human world (that can communicate with us), what they will make of the Lovecraftian Mythos, and whether they have anything similar...

red_bus

I would be quite interested in an Elizabethan London setting - with Cthulhu. Lots of court intrigue, the New World is just opening up with lots of interesting imports from foreign lands, London is expanding and England flexes its muscles abroad. You would have to play gentry though, it would be horror enough playing a lowly serf or worse, a pure finder… 8O 8O

cynick
I would be quite interested in an Elizabethan London setting - with Cthulhu.

There is of course The King of Shreds and Patches in Strange Aeons.

And there are some notes towards Elizabethan Cthulhu here.