Byrom

1920's UK Pricing

Byrom

Hello, I am going to be running a UK based CoC game for my players (Specifically Shadows over Scotland) in the not too distant future and was wondering about 1920's pricing for goods and services.

I understand that the imperial values of coinage i.e.: Four farthings to a penny, two shillings to a florin, twelve pence in a  shilling, five shillings in a crown, twenty shillings in a pound and twenty one shillings in a guinea.

Can anyone enlighten me to a conversion rate for $ to £ for the period or a version of the rulebook price lists that have been converted to sterling.

Any help appreciated.

If it is applicable I am using the 5.5 edition.

BigJackBrass

A rough but useful figure is £1 = $5.

Naturally that varied a bit, but it's fairly close and very convenient for off the cuff conversions.

Byrom

Many thanks BigJackBrass and GBSteve, thats most useful.

andyl

Average weekly wage was a bit below £3 in 1923. Average house cost £350, average car cost £270. A pint of beer was around 5d.

It is also amazing what you can find with a google.  I found the following with some adverts from Harrods from the 1920s.  https://londonist.com/london/history/vintage-harrods-ads

You can also find some advertising ephemera if you search ebay. For example a lady's weekend case might be £5.19/6. A larger dressing  case might be £14.10/- or even £20.10/0.  A box of Havana cigars range from 90/- to 200/-. A nice gold watch may be £5 to £8.  Woolworths doesn't have so much ephemera available if your PCs are more down to earth.

A number of British libraries have free access to the British Newspaper Archive which can be of great help as many carried advertising.  Otherwise you have to register and get a very small number of free views before you have to buy access (and it isn't cheap).

Byrom

Thank you Andy, the link was most informative and yes I need to do some more research.

Byrom

Hi, I have decided to create a conversion of the most of the 1920's Cost, Equipment and Services plus Weapons (excluding 1890's and Modern) so here is a pdf of the results.  I would have posted the excel spreadsheet but apparently thats not possible.

1920s Costs Equipemt and Services UK.pdf

PoC
7 minutes ago, Byrom said:

I would have posted the excel spreadsheet but apparently thats not possible.

Should now be possible, if you want to try it.

Byrom

The spreadsheet, there way be a couple of minor variances between the pdf and xlsx but it may be useful. As I am not good with spreadsheet the formula's are the wife's ;-)

UK prices v2.xlsx

12 minutes ago, PoC said:

Should now be possible, if you want to try it.

Many thanks.

mvincent
On 13/04/2019 at 11:41, BigJackBrass said:

A rough but useful figure is £1 = $5.

That's what I used during the London chapter of MoN (I believe that was what was stated in the adventure). 

Convenient, as that made £1 = $100 in today's terms. Of course, that made paper money very valuable (making tipping at the Blue Pyramid club a bit more awkward).

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now